VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!

I'm having a difficult time here. Can somebody help me, please?

I have an avi video and I want to put subtitles in it. I'm using virtual Dub (as I always used), but this video, when I open it in Virtual Dub, appears the message:

"VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file. The current prefference is to rewrite the audio header with standare CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 4261 ms os skew from the video stream. If this is unacceptable, decompress the entire audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate:130.6 +/- 017.6 kbps)''

Doing the process, it had generate a file with the audio out the sync with the video ...

Looking here in the forums, I found 2 ways to the audio doesn't be out of sync after the process:

1) Select the option "Do Not correct MPEG Layer III audio streams" (Options > Preferences > AVI).
    It doesn't work for me...

2) Decompress the entire audio (https://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubaudio.htm). It also doesn't worked for me. When I click to save the wav file, it shows the error message: "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format."

What can I do now ?? Please help me ...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to wav with Goldwave or AVI2WAV or try VirtualdubMOD instead and select that you don't want to rewrite the header.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Baldrick !!! Thank you for the reply !!

I tried to rip the audio using the AVi2WAV and then using this wav file as source audio during the process od virtual dub, but it didn't work ... Do you think that my problem is a mp3 decompressor integrated with virtual dub ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you think that my problem is a mp3 decompressor integrated with virtual dub ?
    The second error message in your first post indicated that you do not have an MP3 decoder.
    When I click to save the wav file, it shows the error message: "No audio decompressor could be found to decompress the source audio format."
    Here is a link to download the Fraunhofer MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder...

http://www.free-codecs.com/MPEG_Layer_3_Codec_download.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When loading an AVI that contains VBR MP3 audio in VirtualDubMod and it displays the 'improper vbr audio' messege I generally click on "Yes". I then select Streams - Stream List - right click the audio stream and select "Full Processing Mode" then Compression - PCM, then Convert and, more than likely my intentions are DVD, so 48Khz 16bit HiQuality Stereo, then with most files I have the choice to either "Save Wav" which processes the audio stream and saves it out as PCM, or go back to the main screen and select "Video" - Direct Stream Copy - File - Save AVI, and save out the entire project file including the processed audio.

As for the MP3 decompressor I can't remember installing anything but Lame MP3....?

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi guys !! Thank you for the reply !!!

Here is a link to download the Fraunhofer MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder...

http://www.free-codecs.com/MPEG_Layer_3_Codec_download.htm
    DarrellS, I installed this codec, but the VirtualDub still gives the same error. Is there a way to configure the codec in irtualdub ??

I then select Streams - Stream List - right click the audio stream and select "Full Processing ...
    Scorpion King, I didn't find the option Streams. Where is it ? About the lame codec, I tried to install, but I don't know if it worked ... virtualdub still shows the same error ...

Thanks again, guys !!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Run the video through the latest version of GSpot and make sure the audio is VBR MP3 (for the file on which you're getting 'no decompressor'). I think I remember reading posts on this forum that there were certain instances under which VDub could see VBR MP3, when it isn't. But, better to be sure.

Scorpion King, I didn't find the option Streams. Where is it ? About the lame codec, I tried to install, but I don't know if it worked ... virtualdub still shows the same error ...
    Scorpion King is using VirtualDubMod, in this case. The option isn't available in the regular VirtualDub.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Streams - Stream List is only in VirtualDubMod. That is the only version of VD I use anymore.

As for Lame MP3 ACM (which is what I think you need) go to the download page and look for the 3rd item down the list "LAME 3.98 alpha 11 ACM". Download the zip file (251KB) LameACM-3.98a11.zip. Extract the 3 files to a temporary location (like your desktop) - right click the LameACM.inf file and choose "Install" for them list. When done you can delete the 3 extracted files.

The Lame download page is confusing I know, so just take your time. The other file (Lame.exe) is a command line tool I believe for manual encoding MP3 which works very well, but does little for opening up your file in VDM.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi Ai Haibara, I used GSpot and it gave me this information:

Codec: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Bitrate: 128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.96r
    Fs: 48000 Hz

Scorpion King, now Virtualdub is showing this message when I try to save the wav:
    Error initializing audio stream decompression:
    The request conversion is not possible
    Check to make sure you have the correct codec.

Do you think it's another codec (not the mp3) ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Open your file in VirtualDub then click "File - File Information" and see what the program is using for a decompressor. If none is listed then this explains everything.

You can easily check installed audio codec by clicking:

Control Panel - Sound Speech and Audio Devices - Sound and Audio Devices - the Hardware Tab - double click Audio Codecs from the list - click Properties - then view the installed audio codecs.

To view or set priority double click the entry. You can click -Use this Audio Codec, or Do not use, and set the priority number. I don't advise changing any of these settings especially without taking notes so they can be put back to what they are supposed to be if necessary.

This should tell us something.

Also it appears now I was wrong before. I am using Fraunhofer MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder to decode mp3 in VDM I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Stop using Virtual Dub for this. Didn't you understand Scorpion King earlier? VDub doesn't support MP3 audio, and will always wind up giving you out-of-synch audio. Use Virtual Dub Mod. When the VBR message comes up, click "No". This assumes you're burning the subs into the video and then creating another AVI.

Or use AutoGK for the entire job and add the subs to the video by hitting CTRL-F8 after opening the video.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stop using Virtual Dub for this. Didn't you understand Scorpion King earlier? VDub doesn't support MP3 audio, and will always wind up giving you out-of-synch audio.
    That is the dumbest statement I've heard. Almost every AVI I've made is an XviD or DivX w/MP3 that I created with Virtualdub and none of them are out of sync. Virtualdub supports MPEG Layer 3 audio, it just doesn't support VBR MP3 which does not belong in an AVI container and produces out of sync audio with any video editing software you try and edit the VBR file with. Another reason that VDub won't decompress an MP3 file is if it is truncated. Damaged. The audio stops way before the video does.

Almost every single file that VDub won't open with this error message is a VBR MP3 AVI that was created by Nandub. The problem isn't with Virtualdub but with Nandub and the VBR compression from the Lame codec.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffabioo,
    Do you have other DivX/Xvid AVI w/MP3 audio that you can check to make sure it's not a codec problem?

I had one troublesome file on my computer that gave me the same error. It was a WMV9 file in an AVI container. It showed the same unknown 0055 MP3 tag as your file although every other file I have says Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer 3 Codec.

The only way I could fix this file was by opening in Goldwave, saving as Wave and using the Wave file in Virtualdub.

I can only assume that the audio was really WMA9 that was wrongly tagged as 0055 VBR MP3 since I never compress to VBR MP3. I never got the VBR error message when opening this file in VDub.

You can probably fix the sync problem caused by the VBR audio with Goldwave using the timewarp feature.
    Quote Quote  
  14. That is the dumbest statement I've heard.

You're right. Pretty silly not to have qualified it by saying VBR MP3 audio. My apologies. However, we already know it's VBR MP3, and we also know that VDubMod handles it perfectly well while VDub doesn't. I also have encoded quite a few AVIs. Except for the ones that used the AC3 audio, they all used VBR MP3 audio. Never had a problem. If I remember correctly, we've been all through this before. Suffice to say, the vast majority of AVIs are made with VBR MP3 audio, and large numbers of people completely disagree with blanket statements such as those you've made in that ill-informed post of yours.

There's no evidence (yet) it's anything other than ordinary VBR MP3 audio. All ffabioo wants to do is to reencode the video, adding in subs. If he were to demux the VBR MP3 audio properly,and then reencode, there shouldn't be any synch problems when he remuxes when finished.

Almost every single file that VDub won't open with this error message is a VBR MP3 AVI that was created by Nandub.

That's a pretty silly statement itself. NanDub, VDubMod, VDubMPEG2, AVIMuxGUI, it doesn't much matter what you use to mux VBR MP3 into your AVI. None are supported by VDub. And all can be edited in many different ways with no problems at all. The only problem I've ever had is rejoining 2 AVIs that had been split. If the 2 halves wound up with different bitrates for the VBR MP3, they won't rejoin.

Virtualdub supports MPEG Layer 3 audio, it just doesn't support VBR MP3 which does not belong in an AVI container and produces out of sync audio with any video editing software you try and edit the VBR file with.
    Myths about AVI

MP3-VBR-in-AVI is a dirty hack

This is probably the piece of disinformation most widely spread about AVI. Seeking in an MP3-VBR audio stream in DirectShow works as if it was a video stream, not an audio stream: Each chunk contains data for a constant amount of time (usually 33 or 40 ms for video, or 24 ms for MP3 audio at 48 kHz). The chunk/frame to be loaded is just [time] / [time per frame], as if it was a video stream. The way MP3-VBR is sought in is valid for AVI files. Maybe it was not intended to be used for audio streams, maybe it was, fact is, the specification doesn't limit any particular seeking strategy to any particular stream type! There is a value in the stream headers, called dwSampleSize, which is 0 in order to trigger VBR stream seeking. This is officially documented in the MSDN and not a hack, bug or whatever. The way MP3-VBR and AAC are stored in AVI are specified and completely compliant with the AVI file specification.
    http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/en_myths.html
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    we already know it's VBR MP3, and we also know that VDubMod handles it perfectly well while VDub doesn't. I also have encoded quite a few AVIs. Except for the ones that used the AC3 audio, they all used VBR MP3 audio. Never had a problem.
    You've never had a problem because VBR is your finished product. Take one of those AVI and cut 10 seconds off the end and then direct stream copy or take a section and re-encode and I guarantee you'll get an out of sync file. You say VDubMod handles it perfectly well but there are plenty of threads on the VDubMod board with sync problems.
    If I remember correctly, we've been all through this before. Suffice to say, the vast majority of AVIs are made with VBR MP3 audio, and large numbers of people completely disagree with blanket statements such as those you've made in that ill-informed post of yours.
    No, the vast majority of AVI are XviD or DivX with constant bitrate MP3 and just because a few people agree with your VBR statements doesn't make you right. If VBR MP3 is not a problem then why are so many people wanting to know how to fix their AVI with VBR MP3?
    The reason that VBR MP3 is becoming so popular is because people who feel like you do are swamping file sharing networks with these files. It's not a problem when they put the files on CDs or data DVDs and play them on their DivX players but the second they try to edit them or join them like you mentioned, they find out just how problematic these files are.
    All ffabioo wants to do is to reencode the video, adding in subs. If he were to demux the VBR MP3 audio properly,and then reencode, there shouldn't be any synch problems when he remuxes when finished.
    Maybe you could tell him how to do that instead of attacking his program of choice. Maybe you can tell him how to decompress the MP3 file that he is unable to decompress. Should he use the hex editor in VDud as suggested in this thread?

0055 The Problem That Wont Go Away

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=10931&s=30237ef675e8dece61752cf791d7779e

Squid wrote...

I actually had this happen for the first time ever today with an avi file given to me. Opened it in virtualdub, got the message about a VBR audio stream, went to file information to check compression: Unknown (tag 0055). So I opened the file in virtualdub's hex editor to check the WAVEFORMATEX header and wBitsPerSample was 16, which seemed odd for a compressed format. I changed it to 00 and now the Fraunhofer codec accepts it and everything works.
    In the hex editor search for "auds", then a little bit further on there should be "strf". Scroll the cursor through the following bytes until the hint at the bottom of the hex editor window says you're at the wBitsPerSample field. (Make sure Enable AVI field assist is turned on under the edit menu.)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Take one of those AVI and cut 10 seconds off the end and then direct stream copy or take a section and re-encode and I guarantee you'll get an out of sync file.

Nonsense. Would you perhaps like me to make available something I've cut (or reencoded)? No, I didn't think so.

If VBR MP3 is not a problem then why are so many people wanting to know how to fix their AVI with VBR MP3?

Look, I encode my own and have never had a problem. Never. I know how to do it right. I'm not responsible for garbage that people download that perhaps was created improperly in the first place. Nor am I responsible for people not knowing how to do things with AVIs that contain VBR MP3 audio. If there are sometimes problems, 99 times out of 100 it's user error, either at the creation end, or at the editing end. I see posts about it all the time. The usual answer is to decompress it to WAV, a complete waste of time, and an unnecessary degradation of perfectly good MP3 audio (if the plan is to reencode it to CBR MP3). Unless the person is planning on feeding his AVI into some program that doesn't properly support VBR MP3 audio (VDub, WinAVI, TMPGEnc, etc.). Then he may not have much choice.

The reason that VBR MP3 is becoming so popular...

Becoming? It's been the defacto standard for what... 5 years or so now?

Maybe you could tell him how to do that instead of attacking his program of choice.

You mean I (and Scorpion King and anyone else with any sense) shouldn't suggest he use VDubMod instead of VDub? He should try and fit a round peg into a square hole?

Or are you attacking my suggestion about using AutoGK? Look, the fellow's having trouble. If he uses AutoGK, he won't have that trouble. I think it's a perfectly good suggestion. It's going to use VDubMod for the job, which he should be using anyway.

Maybe you can tell him how to decompress the MP3 file that he is unable to decompress.

If he wants to make a sample available, I'll be glad to take a look. These things are hard to diagnose from thousands of miles away. My contention is that he doesn't have to decompress. Demuxing will be enough, if he uses VDubMod for his project instead. He may not even have to demux.

Should he use the hex editor in VDud as suggested in this thread?

I've never used a hex editor in my life.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi,

there is a simpel answer for your problem!

Adjust some settings in your Lame codec.

- control panel
    - Sound and audio devices
    - Hardware
    - Audio codecs
    - double click the Lame codec
    - UNCHECK the two checkboxes
    - Problem=gone.

Qeef.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried to stay away from all threads wanting help with VBR MP3 audio the last 6 months because every single thread turns into a fight between you and anyone (except the mods who state that VBR is not recommended and can cause problems) who is against VBR MP3 audio in AVI. If they need help fixing VBR MP3, there are plenty of guides explaining how to fix it.

The only reason that I replied to this thread is because the original poster (who was scared off because of your calling him or anyone else who uses Virtualdub stupid) needed help in decompressing the audio. That is why I posted the link to the Virtualdub forum so him or anyone else interested in solving the failure to decompress certain MP3/AVI that show the Unknown tag 0055 could read it.

The Unknown tag 0055 comes from some programs that put the wrong value in the header. According to some Virtualdub users, changing the value to Zero with the built in Hex editor in VDub fixes the problem and allows the Fraunhofer codec to decompress the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The only reason that I replied to this thread is because the original poster... needed help in decompressing the audio.

No, he needed help because he wanted to add a subtitle to his AVI and the result was out-of-synch audio. The answer was, and still is, to do the job using VDubMod. Baldrick, Scorpion King, and I all told him as much. If I was firm in my first post, it's because it's obvious that ffabioo's first language isn't English and he didn't seem to understand.

...who was scared off because of your calling him or anyone else who uses Virtualdub stupid...

I haven't said, nor have I implied, anyone was stupid. Even you're not stupid, nor have I called you such. I have called you ill-informed, and some of your statements silly and nonsensical (and soon absurd).

That is why I posted the link to the Virtualdub forum...

The only link you posted was to the Fraunhofer Decoder.

Talking to you is like playing a game of Whack-A-Mole. Every time I squash one of your absurd assertions, up you pop with 2 more. And I'm tired of the game. Goodbye.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only link you posted was to the Fraunhofer Decoder.
    You're a flippin' retard! Go back and read my posts. You were too busy trying to pump yourself up and put me down that you failed to even see the answer to the posters problem of the unknown 0055 tag.

Not only did I post a link to the Virtualdub Forum thread but I posted quotes from the thread explaining what to do and again mentioned the fix in my last post. At least I checked out the link that you posted even if it didn't change my view on VBR MP3 AVI.

You stated that Scorpion King was smart since he recommended VDubMod and the rest of us had no sense if we used Virtualdub but he recommended saving as uncompressed wave which I agree with but you say is a waste of time.

Baldrick gave the best answer by saying to use Goldwave to open the file but again, you disagree with using an uncompressed wave.

You give hints of what the original poster should do but never tell him step by step what to do. This seems to be your reasoning for this...
    it's obvious that ffabioo's first language isn't English and he didn't seem to understand.
    which should've been reason for you to be more patient and helpfull. Instead, you spend the rest of your time in this thread trying to play "whack the mole" and prove your greatness instead of offering any help at all.

This website is called videohelp after all. Highjacking threads to try and boost egos has no business on this website.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You're right. I did miss the link. I apologize for that. I checked the entire thread several times, and just missed it. Interesting reading that link. I don't pretend to understand all of it, but it does seem to confirm my contention that 1) VDubMod will do the job just fine where VDub won't, and 2) the fact that ffabioo can't decompress to WAV audio doesn't much matter, as he doesn't have to.

Instead, you spend the rest of your time in this thread trying to play "whack the mole" and prove your greatness instead of offering any help at all.

And that's a flat out lie. I offered two very good solutions in my first post. One was to use VDubMod to encode his subtitle to the AVI. The other was to allow AutoGK to do the job. If he had done either, the problem would have been solved a long time ago. I also mentioned later he could just demux the audio from the video and, by implication, reencode the video without the audio, remuxing the original audio at the end. That's how I usually do things, and that would have worked fine. At no stage was it necessary to decompress the audio, unless he insists on using VDub for the job, something it's not designed for when VBR MP3 audio is involved. Decompressing (even were it possible, which I guess it's not in this case) followed by a reencode to CBR MP3 results in wasted time and effort and further degrades the audio. For reasons which escape me, you and some others continue to insist on that being the ideal solution.

Evidently ffabioo did follow one of Baldrick's suggestions and did create a WAV file using something called AVI2WAV. He said it didn't work, although he didn't say what or why it didn't work. It seemed to me that rather than him continuing to beat his head against a wall and not getting anywhere, a new solution was called for.

I was going to retire from this one after my last post, but felt I had to come back and apologize to you for denying you had made a link to what turned out to be an informative thread. Talk to you later, DarrellS. It's been....fun.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My name was mention again, so I'm back.

I haft to admit I did miss the 'add subs' in the original post, and I did skip right on to the 'out of sync VBR' part where I aimed my first response. I do miss important items like that quite often and I also admit I need to take more time reading instead of popping out with a response. lol

I too have encountered out of sync problems associated with VBR mp3 audio and I am no VBR expert because I don't download shared files and my exposure to VBR to date has been fairly limited. My efforts to help were sincere... lol

I agree that adding subs might not require decompressing the audio. I also agree that if that were to work it is the best way to handle this situation.

I have been successful using direct stream copy on VBR mp3 audio using VDM with no problems, but I have also had VBR MP3 I could not direct stream because it would go out of sync. Decompressing to WAV in VDM has always worked for me in the past and that is what I suggested he do. I felt that was the best advice I could offer and would guarantee him an easy solution because that is how I would 'normally' do it because I would normally go all the way to DVD and not stop at muxed AVI.

I can also understand why he insists on using VD instead of VDM because I felt the same way for a few years myself. It does appear to be harder to use at first glance.

Thats all I got.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hi people!!!

Thank you so much for the answers !!! In the last 2 days I uninstalled everything from my computer and installed again. I also get another version of the .avi. Now it worked !!! It looked like both (my codecs and the avi) had problems, that's why I did those things ...

People, thank you so much for your help!!!
    Quote Quote