VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Target has them for $9.99 . I picked up the 1965 Goldfinger to check out the cleanup job by Lowry Digital Media. Pretty amazing looking. Not a scratch anywhere. No film grain left (well, virtually eliminated). Not sure if I like all the grain removed on the 60s flicks. Gives em a bit of a peeled grape feel.

Looks even better when IVTC and minor sharpening is applied.

All it takes is 400 workstations each processing a single uncompressed 2K frame at a time and a staff of artists to fill in the residual artifacts with a paint app.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Wow, no replies and only one view of the image in 5 years? So sad!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Got a link?

Why would you need to IVTC? These should be progressive.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think this is the edition in question:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldfinger-Sean-Connery/dp/B000M53GMC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1335535997&sr=8-5

I have several of those editions of 007 dvds. They look outstanding played upconverted on either my ps3 or my dvd player that has hdmi out. I don't do anything to them.

I also have a few on bluray that look nearly perfect.

Since this was originally a 2007 post that was most likely before the blurays were out.

And fyi this year all bond movies will be on bluray in a 60 year box set. It'll be pricey though...
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an old 2005 story but are we talking about DVD or Blu-ray?
    http://commanderbond.net/2878/all-20-films-to-be-remastered-for-new-dvds.html
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    are we talking about DVD or Blu-ray?
    Given that it was a 2007 post originally and the stated 10.00 price tag I am going out on a limb and saying it was the dvd edition. I don't think there were too many blurays that were on sale for 10.00 in 2007.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GavSalkeld View Post
    Wow, no replies and only one view of the image in 5 years? So sad!
    Dude - You joined in 2002. You're not a newbie. Why'd you bother digging this up? You know we don't like grave digging. Find another way to relieve your boredom instead of digging up long dead threads.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey whats wrong with sparking the interest? Its still a valid point, especially with the BDs to come out later this year. Plus, Im not here all that often and wasnt aware of "grave digging rules". The thread came up in a Google search and if I wanna comment, I'm going to. I am sure the mods can delete if if they wish to.

Its interesting the OP notes the cleanliness of the transfers - the BDs so far are not the exact same prints as the UE DVDs. In fact, the Thunderball one is worse - there is damage on there thats not present on the UE DVDs. Lowry has been contacted about it, but so far no one has owned up to the mishap. I hope they correct it on the forthcoming re-releases.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GavSalkeld View Post
    Hey whats wrong with sparking the interest? Its still a valid point, especially with the BDs to come out later this year. Plus, Im not here all that often and wasnt aware of "grave digging rules". The thread came up in a Google search and if I wanna comment, I'm going to. I am sure the mods can delete if if they wish to.

Its interesting the OP notes the cleanliness of the transfers - the BDs so far are not the exact same prints as the UE DVDs. In fact, the Thunderball one is worse - there is damage on there thats not present on the UE DVDs. Lowry has been contacted about it, but so far no one has owned up to the mishap. I hope they correct it on the forthcoming re-releases.
    If there was no interest in discussing the release five years ago, what makes you think anybody would be interested now? Maybe there are not many James Bond fananatics/collectors on VideoHelp.

If the point of this is to spark interest in the upcoming BD release, then this is thread hijacking as well as necroposting. Thread hijacking is against forum rules. Start a new thread instead. ..but how could the upcoming release be discussed in a meaningful way at this point, since it is not out yet?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If there was no interest in discussing the release five years ago, what makes you think anybody would be interested now?
    Maybe it got buried and people just missed it? Geez, chill out. If the mods have an issue with it, I am sure they will let me know.
    Quote Quote