VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi. i just joined and i cant post yet in the sub section. anyways i couldnt find the answer im looking for searching the site so i'll try and ask. i have xvid files and srt subs. i tryed the guide here for using vdub mod to add subs and i was pleased to see it work. only thing is i had to, of course, use full process mode and what i got was a smaller less quality rip with some pixelation. what im hoping to do is get the subs on without the time or quality loss of reconverting the video witch is great to begin with. is there a way to streem the video to a new file without reconvert while adding subs?

thanks for any help. btw ive been getting help here for years and its the greatist resource for video help ever. thanks to all the posters!

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll move you to the Subtitle Forum.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can't make the subs hard coded (or burned in) without re-encoding the entire video. That is just the way it is!

However just about any software for playing videos will add the SRT subtitles to the video while playing it back without any re-encoding ... including hardware MPEG-4 capable DVD players.

So why would you want to hard code them in

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    If you have the original video source (used to create the MPEG-4 video) then you can go back to the source and re-encode it to MPEG-4 and burn the subs in while doing that. With enough bitrate it should look A-OK but without using a "proper" bitrate you will get "mosquito noise" around the subtitles.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can't hard sub without re-encoding. It would be like placing text over the image above without resaving it.

If you use AVISynth though for the subs, then you can use fast recompress. That is as close as it gets, unless you want to stick with soft subs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i got phillips dvp642 stand alone deck and it doesnt seem to play srt - idx files. do i need them in a dif format for that deck? i didnt think it play subs 4 mpeg4. i was wondering about that one any way.

thats part of why i wanted a quick hardcode method, so i could watch movies i got in mpeg4 on that player.

the other reason is that im playing around with xdvd formats like kdvd, "vcd, mole, etc. i notice while looking great considering the compression level, they have some playback and search glitches and was figuring having subs permenant on the movie would keep them in place as i try encoding to those formats. and i dont mind em hardcoded cause it for movies wen only some speech is other lang.

i think im realizing why you have to rencode tho. i'd like to however do that without losing quality when my source is divx or xvid in the first place, if anybody could tell mi how or what i did wrong.

also im wondering if i can somehow hardcode the subs while im transcodingfrom my source to mpg with a prog like tmpgenc xpress (i like the tmpgenc familly because of the many different options to encode to, however im open to trying other progs as tmpg is slowwww!)

anyways thanks for the quick responses and thanks to redwudz for the welcome and getting mi moved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 642 uses text-only format .srt files (not .srt/.idx). Here's an example:

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:01,991
    (dialogue)

00:00:06,173 --> 00:00:08,107
    (more dialogue)

00:00:08,175 --> 00:00:09,972
    (still more dialogue)
    According to the manual, it'll also accept .smi and .sub (also text-only) formats, but I haven't tried either with the 642. Note that to use the subtitle files, you have to highlight them in the menu first (before playing the video), and press the Subtitle button. Then, select the video and play it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, thanks. im gonna play around with that a lil n see if i can get it working on my deck.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks it worked n i could watch a divx mov with srt subs on my deck. cool!
    Quote Quote