VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to help a friend who does not know alot about computers and purchased a Samsung SC-X105L Digital Camcorder.
    He went on vacation and shot some videos which are AVI format that he wants to distribute and share with his friends.
    GSpot displays that they are using the Samsung MPEG-4 (SEDG) codec.
    He has copied the AVI to a CD and tried to play it in Windows Media Player on 10 different computers. Only 1 computer will play the AVI.
    I spoke to Samsung on his behalf and they say that the AVI has to be converted to DIVX to be easily playable in different computers.
    I have done a lot of research and found that sometimes AVIC will update the AVI so that it can be played properly.
    Unfortunately, the resultant file did not work in multiple computers with XP PRO.

My friend spent many hundreds of dollars on this camera and now finds that he cannot use it for the purpose that it was purchased (especially since he is not technical).
    My question is whether there is a relatively simply process that will allow him to modify the file, convert or whatever in order to be able to easily share it with his friends?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I found some information about the codec here: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPEG-4 They also had a sample of a SEDG video I downloaded. I couldn't view it either with VLC or VD Mod.

I Downloaded this codec from Samsung and was able to play the SEDG file in Windows Media Player: http://www.samsung.com/download/FileView.aspx?cttfileid=626510&type=Camcorder&typecode...e=DR&language=

You would have to dig around a bit more for a conversion program. From what I read, you can use a HEX editor and change the file to a Divx and then you should be able to play it with most anything. That would be the quickest conversion method. Gspot will give information about the file after the codec is installed, but VD Mod still won't accept it.

SUPER seems to be able to convert it, at least after the codec is installed. I didn't try it before. I'd try it first before installing the codec. For the time being, I would use SUPER and just play with the settings to get the quality right. At least SUPER is freeware and easy for newbies to use.

Samsung may have been trying to save a few dollars by using a proprietary codec. (Which appears to be cloned from Divx.) Quite a few purchasers of the camera are probably unhappy about that decision.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by j4gg3rr
    http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/8929p1.html
    Yes, I read this thread.
    But it appears that this method is still not foolproof, does it not?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I found some information about the codec here: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=MPEG-4 They also had a sample of a SEDG video I downloaded. I couldn't view it either with VLC or VD Mod.

You would have to dig around a bit more for a conversion program. From what I read, you can use a HEX editor and change the file to a Divx and then you should be able to play it with most anything. That would be the quickest conversion method. Gspot will give information about the file after the codec is installed, but VD Mod still won't accept it.

SUPER seems to be able to convert it, at least after the codec is installed. I didn't try it before. I'd try it first before installing the codec. For the time being, I would use SUPER and just play with the settings to get the quality right. At least SUPER is freeware and easy for newbies to use.
    It was easy to change the header using AVIC, *but* only 1 of the 4 PCs in his house could play the resultant file with Windows Media Player.
    I will try the SUPER program.
    Unfortunately, he bought the camcorder at a silent auction and cannot return it which is what he would like to do.
    If he had bought it retail, he would be in line at the Customer Service counter.
    Quote Quote