VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello !!!

I realize this should be simple but ...

I have an audio file that is about 30 some odd minutes long. I want to turn it into a MPEG-2 clip with just plain black video and use a very low video bitrate.

I'm not sure how to do this LOL

I thought this could be done with TMPGEnc Plus but when I tried to input a 720x480 (I am doing NTSC) frame of black (a BMP file) it would not accept it.

I thought I remember reading if you input a black frame (BMP or JPG or whatever) and add audio that it will encode it with that same frame (in this case pure black) repeating itself to match the length of the audio.

So why won't it accept my BMP file? Should I try JPG instead? I just created a normal BMP with PhotoShop using the default windows values for a BMP file.

I feel silly not knowing how to do something so simple LOL

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try it with Muxman.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It definitely works with JPGs as I have done it before. I think there's a decoder under environmental settings called "BMP/PPM/TGA/JPG File Reader" - maybe up the priority of it ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    encode this AVS file:

ImageReader("black.bmp",fps=29.97).Trim(1,2)
    ConvertToYV12()

with, eg, HCEnc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's an internal AviSynth filter for generating blank clips without need for BMP's. The details are in docs in the installation directory (v.2.57). An example:
    BlankClip(length=3000, width=720, height=480, fps=29.97, color=$000000)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Check this out. It's more than just a blank screen, but perhaps there is something in here that you can use.

Code:
    # This is an audio player.  It plays an audio file (wav) and displays the wave
    # in the video frame.  Each channel is normalized seperately as well.
    # NOTE: Normalization causes a delay of about a minute for an 80 min audio file.

audio=WavSource("c:\audio\More Than a Feeling.wav")

w=720 # width
    h=480 # height
    f=24 # fps
    b=50 # border

#calculations
    length=(audiolength(audio)/44100)*f
    blank=blankclip(length, width=w, height=(h/2)-b, pixel_type="RGB24", fps=f, audio_rate=44100, sixteen_bit=true)

# normalizes each channel separately
    audioL=GetChannel(audio,1)#.Normalize
    audioR=GetChannel(audio,2)#.Normalize
    audio=MergeChannels(audioL, audioR)

#displays the wave
    LoadPlugin("c:\program files\avisynth 2.5\plugins\audgraph.dll")
    videoL=AudioGraph(AudioDub(blank, GetChannel(audio,1)), 0).AddBorders(0,b,0,0).greyscale.RGBadjust(2,2,2,1)	#white
    videoR=AudioGraph(AudioDub(blank, GetChannel(audio,2)), 0).AddBorders(0,0,0,b).greyscale.RGBadjust(3,0,0,1)	#red
    video=StackVertical(videoL, videoR)
    video=MTVsubtitle(video,"BOSTON - More Than a Feeling\nFrom the album 'Boston'\n1976 CBS/Sony Music")

return AudioDub(video, audio)

function MTVsubtitle(v,text)
    {
    	w=width(v)
    	h=height(v)
    	f=framerate(v) 
    	tstart=5 # start display of title (in seconds)
    	tlength=10 # display duration (in seconds)
    	d=12 # number of frames for dissolve

#calculations
    	start_frame=int(tstart*f)
    	end_frame=int(start_frame+(tlength*f))

segment=v.trim(start_frame,end_frame)
    	vsub=subtitle(segment,text,lsp=10,x=50,y=350,text_color=$EEEEEE)

#	return(v.trim(0,start_frame-1) + vsub + v.trim(end_frame+1,0))
    	return dissolve(v.trim(0,start_frame+d),vsub,v.trim(end_frame-d,0),d)
    }

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Alex_ander
    There's an internal AviSynth filter for generating blank clips without need for BMP's. The details are in docs in the installation directory (v.2.57). An example:
    BlankClip(length=3000, width=720, height=480, fps=29.97, color=$000000)
    I think I like this idea the best but the length refers to "number of frames" correct?

SoundForge reports the audio length as "00:31:37.760" or 31 minutes 37 seconds and whatever the 760 is (I don't know but it is less than one second).

So I guess I would want to make my video clip match 31 minutes and 38 seconds (rounding up).

I'm shooting for NTSC ... maybe 29.970fps ... maybe 23.976fps ... I am guessing 23.976fps would be better ... so how do I determine the length for the BlankClip function?

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    So I guess I would want to make my video clip match 31 minutes and 38 seconds (rounding up).

I'm shooting for NTSC ... maybe 29.970fps ... maybe 23.976fps ... I am guessing 23.976fps would be better ... so how do I determine the length for the BlankClip function?
    Ummmm:

31 minutes = 1860 seconds
    Add 38 sec = 1898 seconds
    Multiply by 23.976fps = 45506.446 frames -> your choice to round up or down to whole-frames.

Math skills - don't leave home without them

Jim
    [Edit - yes, the "length" in the BlankClip function is in frames.]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I like this idea the best but the length refers to "number of frames" correct?
    Perhaps it depends on your muxer, but when I author in GuiforDVDauthor, and the sound track is longer than the video, the sound just continues after the video stops; either showing a black screen or the last frame. That's why my code was just 2 frames long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Perhaps it depends on your muxer, but when I author in GuiforDVDauthor, and the sound track is longer than the video, the sound just continues after the video stops; either showing a black screen or the last frame. That's why my code was just 2 frames long.
    I was curious why your script was so short LOL

That sounds interesting but something tells me it is also out of spec to do it that way

I think I will try what Alex_ander said using the math by Jim44 (thank you both).

P.S.
    Also thank you to everyone else that offered help. The script by dphirschler is sorta interesting and I may try that for something else but for this project I just wanted pure black video to match an audio file I already made and have in AC-3 format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    FulciLives,
    Is there a reason you aren't just using a Black MPG still? Many authoring apps can use that and save HUGE space (which can go toward more time, better quality) compared to even LOW bitrate black video.
    (I've personally never had any trouble getting my copy of TMPGEnc Plus to encode LowBitrateVideo along with audio--let me know what your settings are if you still want to go that way).
    Otherwise, some apps require the Black still to not yet be encoded as MPEG (e.g.: Maestro still expects BMP/JPG/PSD/TIF/TGA, and will encode at compile time).
    It might be easier if you encode to black video WITHOUT the audio, and then mux them together. If you have trouble with the muxing, let me know also.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    FulciLives,
    Is there a reason you aren't just using a Black MPG still? Many authoring apps can use that and save HUGE space (which can go toward more time, better quality) compared to even LOW bitrate black video.
    (I've personally never had any trouble getting my copy of TMPGEnc Plus to encode LowBitrateVideo along with audio--let me know what your settings are if you still want to go that way).
    Otherwise, some apps require the Black still to not yet be encoded as MPEG (e.g.: Maestro still expects BMP/JPG/PSD/TIF/TGA, and will encode at compile time).
    It might be easier if you encode to black video WITHOUT the audio, and then mux them together. If you have trouble with the muxing, let me know also.

Scott
    Well normally I use TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0 so ... I just never had to make an audio clip without video before that I wanted to add to a DVD so ... I just figured recording a matching low bitrate all black video would be the "key".

I do have Maestro but so hate to use it LOL

I'm gonna see how big it is with a matching black video and see how "large" the file size ends up at I guess.

Quote Quote  
  13. I thought I remember reading if you input a black frame (BMP or JPG or whatever) and add audio that it will encode it with that same frame (in this case pure black) repeating itself to match the length of the audio.

You may be thinking of Muxman. Open a 720x480 black BMP as the video, add in your audio, give it a destination, "Start", and when done the DVD will last the length of the audio.

Heck, go wild and actually use a real BMP picture appropriate for the music.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I thought I remember reading if you input a black frame (BMP or JPG or whatever) and add audio that it will encode it with that same frame (in this case pure black) repeating itself to match the length of the audio.

You may be thinking of Muxman. Open a 720x480 black BMP as the video, add in your audio, give it a destination, "Start", and when done the DVD will last the length of the audio.

Heck, go wild and actually use a real BMP picture appropriate for the music.
    I wonder if I do this and try to import it into TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0 if it will still work. I really want the final product to be part of a project I am doing with TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0

The project is a movie as the main feature and the audio is a radio interview with an actress who appeared in said movie. I want both on the same DVD. The movie is short ... just shy of 90 minutes. I haven't encoded the movie yet ... waiting to figure out what bitrate to use based on how much space this silly radio interview ends up taking.

Quote Quote  
  15. Since I don't use TDA, I don't pay much attention to posts about it. But I seem to remember reading something about it having trouble with DVDs authored this way. If so, then you'd better encode the blank clip for M2V 29.97fps as described above.
    Quote Quote  
  16. John, this gives you the length of the blankclip.

Code:
    audio=WavSource("c:\audio\More Than a Feeling.wav")

#calculations
    length=(audiolength(audio)/44100)*24
    blank=blankclip(length,width=720, height=480, pixel_type="RGB24", fps=24, audio_rate=44100, sixteen_bit=true)
    Darryl
    Quote Quote