I'm not sure that this area is where I'm supposed to be posting this topic, but here goes. I'm having a bit of a problem with my streaming videos. The problem exists in both firefox, and internet explorer, so I think it's related to a codec or something.
The symptom is that SOME streaming videos don't have any audio. For example, at gamespot.com, when I try to view videos, some have audio, and some don't. When I right click on the video and select "properties", under the "audio codec" heading, videos with working audio all display:
and the ones that don't work display:Windows Media Audio 9
40 kbps, 32 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR
I've gone through my audio codecs and I can't seem to find any way to edit the settings for "mono 1-pass CBR".Windows Media Audio 9.1
32 kbps, 44 kHz, mono 1-pass CBR
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
I've had lots of problems with codec packs. I'm on XP Media Center Edition, and I use the media center services allot, and its taken me a lot of installing/uninstalling of various codecs to get everything working. Basically, I'm looking for a way to uninstall/reinstall the specific codec I'm having a problem with (if that is indeed the problem), but I can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas on how to do just that?
This sure sounds like the "no mono sound with windows media player 11" issue also discussed here:
and in the Microsoft forums - General Player section - search for "mono"
So far, I've run across over a dozen people with this issue, which does not seem like a lot. No one has been able to solve the problem without installing a 3rd party codec (which I'm reluctant to do) except for one person that solved by changing there WMP 11 tools / options / devices / sound settings - this did not seem to solve the problem for me.
I'm running a fairly new Windows Media Center XP with Realtec sound, but others have standard XP.
Even though Mono sound worked for all of us with WMP 10, those that have "downgraded" to WMP 10 from 11 have reported that this did not solve the problem.
Seems very strange that more people are not reporting this issue.
I have the same problem, when I open this http://www.willhill.com/iibs/en/static/radio.asp?clip=http://asx.sportcaster.net/willi...%5Fwh%01%7B%1D
using IE or Firefox I get no sound but if I open the http://asx.sportcaster.net/williamhill/wh1.asx part using WMP 10 it plays ok. Very strange.He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
Interesting embedded control on the first one, did you set that up?
I can confirm that I also can not hear the first one which is
Windows Media Audio V8
32 kbps, 44 kHz, mono
but I can hear the 2nd one just fine, which is
Windows Media Audio V8
32 kbps, 44 kHz, mono
oh my gosh! I can hear that mono file ... maybe you are right this is an embedded issue not a player issue. I could have sworn the mono sound was not playing in the player either - but it certainly is now.
... wait a sec and let's test this.... I changed the setting in the WMP 11 in tools / options / devices / speaker from Default Direct Sound to RealTek Direct sound and this makes the Mono sound play or not play (works with RealTek) - didn't realize that this had an effect - I just tried the embedded.
Ok.... is there a place to modify sound device settings for embedded ??? ... let's check the default... seems to be RealTek...
Interesting.... still need to fix Mono sound for embedded, but now know more what to look for - thank you.
Originally Posted by Denver DaveHe's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
This does not have anything to do with our Embedded mono sound issue, but the new embedded interface does not run for me in FireFox 220.127.116.11 while the old interface did run. Both run (but can't hear, because of our Mono sound issue) in I.E. 6
he new embedded interface does not run for me in FireFox 18.104.22.168 while the old interface did run
In my case, copying the files in solved the embedded issue immediately. Strangely now, I can rename all three files and the npdsplay.dll file is automatically recreated by something and the other two files can stay renamed and my embedded windows media player still works with firefox. If this is your issue - hope this helps.
.... now back to no mono sound with windows media player 11 - so far out of a dozen or so people I've found with the problem, no one has reported solving this by other than installing a 3rd party codec pack - even uninstalling 11 and going back to version 10 does not seem to help. If possible, I'd like to identify the specific problem not shotgun this issue with a codec pack. Also see and participate in discussion here:
While researching a product called Super encoder, I stumbled on a post in their forums which solved the No Website Embedded Mono sound issue for me. It is simple and you can read about it, but it involves configuring the DirectShow ActiveX filter. I have no idea what that is (maybe someone can explain), but unchecking 2 boxes brought my embedded mono sound back. The discussion forum structure is a little strange, but here is a direct link to the solution that worked for me:
For sound issues with the external player, rather than website embedded, try right clicking the top left icon and selecting tools / options / devices / speakers / properties and make sure your sound device is selected.
My Player Updated itself yesterday morning and I was having the same problems as I've seen all over. Some files would play some wouldn't. Videos would play but no audio. Some people are saying to install Codecs, which may work for the techy types. I downloaded DFX (Found the link on Microsoft's web site under plugins) and IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DFX page it links too
Hopefully I save some other people some time trying to figure this out and / or having to figure out what a friggin Codec is to start with!!!