VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The R220 is no longer listed on the Epson site. It was listed on the Epson site for the past several months but not available. Just bought one at Staples two months ago for $95 delivered. Now I can't find any from reputable suppliers/stores. Typical Epson just when the carts get cheap and CIS is readily available they discontinue the unit. They did the same with the Photo Stylus 900. Now they are trying to hook us on their "high definition" inks. Just more expensive. What a scam.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A printer isn't obsolete as long as you like the prints it makes and you can still buy ink for it. Other than that I wouldn't worry.

The new inks are supposed to give longer life and a more true color, besides work with their papers. If it does all that then I suppose the price of the ink is worth the $$.

Epson makes a good printer and your's should last a long time. I have bought 3 Espon printers so far and I wouldn't own anything else. My new printer is the Epson R1800 13x19 with 8 ink cartridges. You talk about biting the bullet when paying for a new load of ink, not to mention paying $97 for 50 sheets of premium photo luster paper 13x19.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have an R200. Never had any problem getting ink. At first I was afraid to use non-Epson cartridges, now I use them nearly all the time. Printer still works great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    its on the epson site i was in fact lookin at it yesterday.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=58654761
    http://www.dondivamag.com
    :) This site is the Best thing since slice bread :)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The above link seems to be a "deep link" that is not directly accessible from the Ebson site's products page. It seems the R260 is the latest in the line of the 200 series. I wouldn't worry about the "demise" of the R220 (I own one as well), supplies for the 220 will be available for years.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The R340 seems to be history also!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's obsolete now. Throw it away. .........
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My R200 is still chomping away...works like the day I bought it!
    The Devil`s always.....in the Details!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just do as I do ... everytime I run out of ink I just buy a new printer (whichever is on sale that week). It tends to be cheaper than buying 4 or more ink carts.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Epson R220, R340, etc. printer series that most people on this site are using is no longer available at retail. The carts are cheap, CIS is available and refill kits and bulk inks is cheap. Now the new R260 type printers using high definition ink - "claria" is all you can buy at retail. Bulk ink is not available. Refill kits are not available, CIS?, compatible carts on e-bay are $5.49. This is a major change and typical of Epson. When printing cost gets low they discontinue the unit and try to lock you into higher priced carts - operating costs.
    I do a lot of printing. I have two HPxw4100 workstations with two DVR-A111's in each and one R220 printer on each system. I went through six Epson Photo Stylus 900's over a three year period. I tried buying refurbished units and units on e-bay (new and used). What a mistake. I like to buy new units from stores like Staples (reputable stores) or direct from Epson online. Now all I can get is a Claria ink printer.
    The R220 series was a great deal. I will switch to Claria ink printers when the after market ink/cart prices come down and refill kits and CIS are available.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I lucked out. Just bought two R220's on closeout at Staples - $90 free delivery. They had R340 also. Stalpes just listed them today. I'm sure this is the last of their stock. These will not be around in a month max. No other stores or Epson has them. A search online shows crazy pricing. Even e-bay costs more with high shipping and who knows if they are seconds. LAST CHANCE TO BUY R220's with their cheap ink costs. He who hesitates is lost. I got mine. They will hold me till the new "Claria" printer ink costs come down.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Epson R220 is still listed on the Epson site, although a bit difficult to locate. It is now listed
    as a discontinued item selling for $69.99 New [not reconditioned] free shipping. I had bought the R260 only to discover I had a model manufactured after Mar 2007 and Epson changed chip codes so generics cartridges won't work. Bought the close out R220, but instead installing the genuine
    cartridges shipped with is installed a set of generics I had [TO48's] and they work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW!!! What a great deal. Found them at:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=58654761

Sure they won't last long at $69.95 each with free shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Sure they won't last long at $69.95 each with free shipping.
    They won't last long at that price. My R200 is out of Epson ink, I can now buy the printers for far less than all new cartirges

I don't buy Epson ink anyway, and I like my Cannon printers better now with the disk tray and disk print mods.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you getting flashing red lights on the ink and paper button?
    Epson has a counter installed to monitor the amount of ink that has collected in the reservoir inside the base of the printer from each head cleaning operation(you can see the long cloth strip if you open the inspection port located at the lower left as you face the back of the computer-must remove the philips head screw just below the door).
    You will also probably get a on screen message saying parts need servicing. The fix is simple, go to: http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml
    download the reset program - follow the instructions carefully as it's a bit tricky. Your printer should show it has been found in the screen display - close the screen and look in your task bar-you will find an ICON which you must right click on the bring up the menu. Select 'protection' then when it asks did you change the pad, lie and answer yes - then reset counter.
    When I looked inside the inspection port, it appeared that only about 1/4 of the pad had been used (good ole Epson out to screw you again).
    Looked on E-bay before I found this fix and the R220 is going for around $115 used (includes
    postage) or you can get a new in the box for ONLY $250 plus postage!!
    Quote Quote