VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm planning to back up most of my DVD collection to hd for streaming playback on the 360 via TVersity, but want to use a format that will offer the greatest "Future-Proofing" and over all compatibility with other software and systems (read: I don't want to commit myself to MS WMVs). Right now I'm leaning towards MP4 with either H.264 or Mpeg4 compression.

Between MPEG4 and H.264 what are the pros and cons of each? I know H.264 is slower to encode.

What are the best tools for converting DVDs to MP4 files...keep in mind I have many of them already ripped to VOBs via DVD Decrypt. I need something that will allow the following options...

1. Ability to convert progressive frames (de-interlaced).

2. Proper options to create full 480 ANAMORPHIC widescreen size.

3. Options to convert to different audio channel amounts (5.1 vs 2ch).

Right now I'm testing out SUPER C FFMpeg which has promise, but also has it's share of frustrating quirks.

Thanks,

M
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD to MP4 with h264/x264 I would use MeGUI.

and this is not dvd to dvdr so moving you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you ever find a good answer? I also want to rip my DVDs to VOBs and then convert them to a high def MP4 format using h.264 so that I can stream from my web server. Does it matter if I plan to use streaming or progressive download?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does it matter if I plan to use Flash 9 player to play from my website? Do I need to convert to an FLV file?
    Quote Quote