VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This guide will show you the basic step how to convert video(MOV, AVI, MPG, TS, VOB, DV) to iPod mp4 format using free tools.

Tools required:
    QuickTime Pro($30) or Quicktime Alternative(free)
    MPEG StreamClip
    (3ivx if your source is AVI DivX or XviD)

Guide:
    First install Quicktime Pro or Quicktime Alternative
    Download MPEG StreamClip (Windows version), extract the MPEG_StreamClip.exe from the zip archive and double click to run it.

Open the the video in MPEG StreamClip, File->Open Files (Hold in ctrl to select several files)
    Select File->Export to MPEG-4
    Click on the iPoD to select iPoD format profiles, 640x480 (4:3 Fullscreen), 640x360 (16:9 Widescreen), etc. Higher frame size means better quality but it also requires that you use a bit higher bitrate which means bigger output file size.
    Set the Data Rate to change the output file size. Higher output file size means better quality. Try different settings and see how it looks like.
    Last click Make MP4 to convert!
    Done.

If you want more information about StreamClip open the pdf guide that is included in the MPEG StreamClip zip download.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Been using this program for a year now, had no idea it supported the high resolution profiles, BTW it also works very well with 3ivX in a MOV container for those who want to do regular mp4 on their iPods. Just a little note to clarify, users will need Quicktime PRO or Alternative. Thanks for the guide Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Guide updated with quicktime pro. THanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am a bit confused. Why is QuickTime Pro needed? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it has the encoding features unlocked. It makes it very simple to do by only requiring a few menus to be navigated etc.

However, I use Videora iPod Converter. Has anyone heard of it? It's free and works great for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick - Perhaps the interlaced scaling isn't necessary ? Not sure, though.

Also, the new 1.1 of MpegStreamClip has batch transcoding
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Again,
    I've done several music videos without a hitch, the 2-Pass H.264 is really impressive over SUPER's 1-pass at the same bitrate settings. However I've tried two full length movies now and ended up with a BSOD halfway through, the movies in question transcoded fine in other applications, anyone else experienced this or similar problems? I've ran 2 previous versions of Streamclip with absolutely no problems using 3ivX in a MOV container, but this is my first attempt with Hi Res H.264 (in Streamclip) I'm using the latest version of QT Pro as well, any advice appreciated - Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  8. hey guys... deltaboy here!

GMaq was the one who introduced me to this wonderful program, thx! any luck on DVD conversion? ive never had a problem putting tv episodes and small vids on my ipod, but full lengh has always given me issues. any luck?
    later bater. deltaboy
    Quote Quote  
  9. QT pro? Seems we don't need it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see a video preview. After the conversion is complete and play the file I only hear audio and do not see any video. Is there something I did wrong?
    The further away I get from the things that I care about...
    the less I care about how much further away I get...
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is your source? It doesn't support everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    GSpot reports a XviD video with 192kbps CBR MP3
    The further away I get from the things that I care about...
    the less I care about how much further away I get...
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You need to install 3ivx to be able to convert from divx or xvid. Updated the guide with that information.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hey, I was wondering if you could help me figure out why I'm getting this error message.

I uninstalled my quicktime. downloaded the quicktime alternatvie, loaded up the mpeg streamclip program but when I try to convert my video_ts files to mpeg4 it says, "Error, cannot prepare files."

not sure what i'm doing wrong here :S
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, if you only want to convert the clip to mp4 and not use it on your ipod, do you still need QT pro? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick,
    I used MpegStreamClip to convert raw .avi (type 2) file to Mpeg-4 and the MP4 file can be played on my Sony Ericsson W801i very well.

I then used WMM to split some .avi clips and put them into the storyboard, added a title and a credit, transitions between clips, then "saved to my computer" selecting DV-AVI(NTSC) 720x480, 30Mbps, 30FPS. The output file is played well and looks identical to the original files. However, this output clip could not be open by MpegStreamClip. It says "file error: this movie file is not supported." I later found out WMM saved the output clip as DV-AVI type 1. I then used Canopus DV File Converter to convert the output clip to type 2 DV-AVI but still MpegStreamClip reject to open the type1-to-type2 converted file.
    Would you think of any solution?

Thank you vey much!
    TB
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this http://www.giveawayoftheday.com

It is free until 12:00 midnight Pacific time today. It's for DVD though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a question.. have anyone tried videora ipod converter?

i like the way videora resize the resolution where when you resize the movie to VGA, you can still manage to see widescreen in your ipod!

i just dont like the bug in videora where when dark screen occur in the film... the converter automatically correct the dark/black screen into bright.

anyway i just want to ask that do anyone know what option should i set in MPEG Streamclip so that the next time when i resize my movie to VGA resolution, i can still manage to see the movie widescreen in my ipod with widescreen option on!

i really need it.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm wondering,if anyone knows what specific settings are needed for iPhone playback
    im trying to assemble a live stream with chat for Buzz out Loud
    and i have no iPhone to test on

any help would be much appreciated
    Peace,Love
    And Carry A GREAT BIG STICK
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to use MPEG Streamclip to convert my DirecTV DVR widescreen content to DVD and my Apple TV:

First, by widescreen content, I mean HD and also SD letterboxed content (the HR20/21 series of DVRs has a format setting that will "zoom" a SD letterboxed show into the full screen).

I first record this widescreen content from my DirecTV DVR to my Panasonic DVD-Recorder on DVD-RW disks. They record "anamorphically"; that is the 16x9 image is squeezed into the 4x3 frame made available by the DVD recording process.

If I don't want to edit the content, I then copy the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD-RW over to my Mac and use MyDVDEdit to correct the 16x9 flag on the file and then use Toast to burn the VIDEO_TS to a DVD-R, which then plays properly on either a 16x9 TV or 4x3 TV.

If I want to edit the content, it would seem that the easiest solution would be to follow the steps in the last paragraph, fix the 16x9 flag and then open it in MPEG Streamclip. But this does not seem to fix the aspect ratio in MPEG Streamclip.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, i am using classic ipod160G, converting vids with MPEG-Streamclip (1.2b2) from .mpg to ipod format. after converting and playing back ipod-vid on TV (via composite cables) or directly on the ipod, i have the following quality problems:

* video show lines around edges, blurry and low quality
    * audio is not in sync with video...its faster

I am however following the standard conversion setup in MPEG-Streamclip for ipod classic...so i am a bit at loss why this happens. can you pls tell me the the BEST setup

(using PC/Vista)
    Quote Quote