VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased two dvd players (one for me and one for a relative) and mine is making a strange noise sometimes. When I put a dvd in, it makes a revving noise like it's spinning up really fast or like it's vibrating. When I play the dvd, it doesn't make this noise. It's only happened on 2 of the 4 dvds I played. The one I got for my relative hasn't made this noise.

The dvd player is the Philips DVP 5140/37

Is this normal?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some DVD players or burners do that. Maybe others with that same player could tell you their experiences. I have a Lite-On (Sony branded) DVD burner that sounds like a airplane taking off when I insert a new disc. I don't think much of that, but it's on a computer I am building, and that's the model they wanted.

But, I don't know that the sound causes any problems with the player or burners lifespan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My Thomson does the same thing on some discs....I attribute it to poor authoring of the DVD.
    That may not be true but it makes me feel better since NONE of my backups or homemade "home movie" DVD's do it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For what it's worth, my Philips DVP-642 sometimes does the same thing. Mine is still going strong after 2 years. I'd say it's a "Philips thing". It is much more likely to happen if I am playing a burned disc than a commercially pressed disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the last dvd player I bought. Chilli, did the same thing, but it wasnt playing any disks, I opened it up to find that the connector cable was rubbing off of the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    My Thomson does the same thing on some discs....I attribute it to poor authoring of the DVD.
    That may not be true but it makes me feel better since NONE of my backups or homemade "home movie" DVD's do it.

What does authoring mean? Is that similar to burning a dvd? It sounds like you're talking about something other than the quality of the disc.

I was thinking that maybe my dvds were just low quality even though they are commercial dvds and should be high quality. The one dvd looks weird on top (like it was homemade) but I bought it from Amazon.com and I have no reason to believe it's not legit. That was one of the dvds I had put in when the noise occurred.

Maybe I should test more. But it sounds like this noise is normal or at least nothing to worry about. I just wasn't sure since this is the first standalone dvd player I ever used. My dvd-rom drive makes the same noise but so did my old cd-rom drive so I figured that must be normal with computers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DVDs read from the inside to the outside, just backwards of a vinyl record. To get the same speed as they play, the player will start fast, then slow as it plays to the outside of the disc. That's part of what you are hearing, but more likely the player is trying to determine the playing speed so it starts faster. Most players do this, some are just a little nosier.

The other thing you asked about, authoring, is how the structure of a DVD is created. That's the menus, chapters and the arrangement of the files on the disc. For the DVD structure, look to the upper left for 'WHAT IS' DVD. After the DVD structure is created, the DVD is burned to create the final DVD disc.

The odd disc you mentioned, if it's a burned disc, such as you would make, it will have a generally purple recording surface. Commercial DVDs are pressed, much like a vinyl record and will usually have a silver playing surface. But some 'fake' DVDs are also pressed, so it's not so easy to always spot them.
    Quote Quote