VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This guide will show you the basics step to convert a DVD to WMV with WMV9 or WMV7 or VC1 using an all-in-one converter.

Tools required
    .NET Framework 1.1
    Avisynth
    Windows Media Encoder 9
    AC3 Filter or ffdshow to decode Dolby AC3 Audio
    AutoMKV

Guide
    Install .NET FrameWork, ac3filter/ffdshow, AviSynth and Windows Media Encoder. If you want to convert to VC1 be sure to install latest Windows Media Player 11 as well.
    Download AutoMKV and extract all files in the rar archive with Winrar and then launch AutoMKV.exe

Select DVD
    You can convert directly from a commercial DVD because AutoMKV will automatically rip the DVD.
    Select your DVD Drive and click Check DVD Drive. Wait.
    Select the main movie PGC, usually the longest video clip
    Set the Output Folder, be sure that you have a lot of free space (up to 8GB for a commercial DVD)

Choose Container, Codec and Profile
    Set Container to WMV
    Set Codec to WMV
    Select Profile,
    1_Pass_CBR_Ultraquick for WMV7 - Decent quality but fastest encoding.
    1_Pass_CBR_Veryquick for WMV8 - Good quality but faster encoding.
    1_Pass_CBR_Quick for WMV9 - Very good quality but slow encoding.
    1_Pass_CBR for WVC1 - Perfect quality but very slow encoding and works only with latest Windows Media Player 11.
    (You can also test the 2-pass_VBR profile(slower encoding but a bit better quality) or 1_Pass_Quality profile(you can not control the output file size exactly).

Audio and Subtitles
    Select Audio Track 1
    Set it to WMV
    Select optionable Subtitle track (The subs will be external and not permanent and to play with subs you need VSFilter installed)

File Size options
    Choose output file size by CD or DVD size or type size in MB. Bigger size means better quality. A 90 minute movie should fit on a CD/700MB with decent quality.
    Set the movie name

Convert!
    Start the converting. A lot of windows will popup. Check the Output folder and a .wmv should appear after a while and it should increase in size. Wait and wait and wait...go to sleep...and hopefully should it be done after you wake up.

Other methods
    If this sounds too complex you can also use Windows Movie Maker or Windows Media Encoder, import the VOBs directly or use VOB2MPG on the DVD and then import the new MPG. But it wont work with all DVDs. If you have commercial DVD you must first rip and copy it to your HD using for example DVDFab Decrypter and then import the VOBs or use VOB2MPG.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Baldrick,
    The AutoMKV "instructions" specify .NET Framework 1.1 while your guide says 2. I was under the impression this could make a difference, no?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Updated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i suggest to upgrade latest build (actually 0.68)

In 0.68 i added to wmv profiles even the WMV 8, quicker then 9 better quality then 7...

Also, a BIG NOTE, if you use a QUALITY PROFILE (with wmv) i cannot control the final file size perfectly, will be surely some under/over-size.

Only the 2 pass or the 1 pass can garantee the exact file size

BHH
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okey..updating the profile information. Thanks for a great tool!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having a bit of trouble getting AutoMKV to do what I want. Basically, I'm trying to re-encode VOBs to WMV, while preserving multichannel sound. AutoMKV properly identifies the AC3 6ch soundtrack in the VOB, however when I specify WMV as the desired format for Audio Track 1, the adjacent drop-down contains the choices "Stereo" or "Original" or sometimes even both. I haven't been able to figure out why sometimes I see "Original" in this drop-down and sometimes I don't. On my last attempt I chose "Original" but the movie didn't encode and I got the logfile which I've attached to this post. I haven't tried playing too much with the options in the window that opens when you click on the "!!!" button because I'm not sure what they do.

I have been able to successfully encode movies in WMV, but I always end up with a 2 channel soundtrack. I know that WMV allows for multichannel sound, but I can't figure it out and if anyone has any suggestions I would be greatly appreciative!

automkv%20log%2020070128.txt
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I had looked at that thread earlier, however, it's not clear to me which part of or option within the FFDShow configuration window is relevant to this situation. Also, the configuration window in my version of FFDShow (which I believe to be the most current) looks slightly different. The attached file shows the configuration options as displayed in the thread you referenced, and below that, the configuration window that I see.

Any thoughts? Sorry if I seem dense but I'm kind of new to this.

Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't tried...and I'm not sure if it's just for wmv sources with 5.1 audio or convert to 5.1.

Maybe try another method like http://forums.xbox.com/8455620/ShowPost.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  9. It works fine if I use a separate DVD ripping program to rip to one single VOB file. If I have it convert direct from a DVD it has a problem once it starts to render the video (audio finishes fine).

I end up with a file that is 52Kb. I have tried with 5 different DVDs.

movie.log
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello for the last few days I have been trying to to even open AutoMKV-I have downloaded everything-I think. I followed the directions and then when I try to oepn AutoMKV it gives me a list of programs to open with and I've tried everything. What am I doing wrong
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you downloaded the automkv.rar archive? Extract all files in the rar archive with winrar to a folder and you can then start the automkv.exe program.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I Have you downloaded the automkv.rar archive, but how do I extract files with winrar? This is stuff is very new to me-sorry
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open the rar with winrar and click on extract or extract to button. Read the included HELP and google for winrar tutorial.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    got it, it works now! Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tooncis
    It works fine if I use a separate DVD ripping program to rip to one single VOB file. If I have it convert direct from a DVD it has a problem once it starts to render the video (audio finishes fine).

movie.log
    I'm getting the same thing here. Ideas anyone?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi i am very new to this. i was wondering what settings i should use in autoMKV095 to use with my Zune? thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bilar Crais
    Originally Posted by Tooncis
    It works fine if I use a separate DVD ripping program to rip to one single VOB file. If I have it convert direct from a DVD it has a problem once it starts to render the video (audio finishes fine).

movie.log
    I'm getting the same thing here. Ideas anyone?

Thank you!
    I got the ~52KB output file as well. I was encoding into xvid/ogg, from an IFO/VOB set ripped with DVDDecrypter, using custom crop and resize settings. After a while, AutoMKV would start its video interlacedness analysis using x264.exe, and then stop with an "all jobs done". It would give no errors. I then made three changes: (1) I installed the latest AVISynth (2) I queued the job first before starting it, and (3) I didn't set any FFmpeg encoder in the Advanced Settings tab. Right now, it's encoding my video.

Perhaps any of these may help you get AutoMKV into the next phase.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 15 minutes film, the original container was .vob and i tried to make it into .avi. For a 15 film i think the proper disk space should be 1/4CD (175MB) or less, well i selected that option in AutoMKV and the movie turned out to have 700MB. What did i do wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by JoeK
    I have a 15 minutes film, the original container was .vob and i tried to make it into .avi. For a 15 film i think the proper disk space should be 1/4CD (175MB) or less, well i selected that option in AutoMKV and the movie turned out to have 700MB. What did i do wrong?
    Are you using the newest version?

You might want to post your details here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=134478
    because the author (buzzqw) reads & helps out almost daily there
    Quote Quote  
  20. What did i do wrong?
    i bet you select a constant quality encoding or selected Don't care about size...

BHH
    HDConvertToX, AutoMen, AutoMKV Developer
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WMV is not an opition when I select the drop down audio track options. It is there if I haven't selected an Input file, but as soon as I select a DVD, either from a disk or ripped to the HDD, WMV is no longer an option. Any idea why?

Never mind, I found it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so I thought i finally had everything figured out and working with the following settings:

The whole process completed, but when i go to view the video, i get 1sec of a perfect image, then nothing but garbage. If i click anywhere on the time bar, to go forward or back, i get the same thing - one second of clear image, then garbage. I've run this on two different computers, with two different discs (Rome Season 1 Disc1 and Disc 2) and both exhibit the same behavior. What did I miss?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could start with a bigger screenshot...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, i grabbed the wrong link. all better now.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, wtf? i did a preview and it was there, now nothing at all? sorry, i'm a nube at the whole image in forum post thing. i'll get it figured out.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried one more pass by using DVDShrink to rip and decrypt the DVD to the HDD first. Same issue.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a Creative ZEN 2.5" Black 16GB MP3 / MP4 Player, so hopefully this process will work for converting a DVD to put onto the player ?

I have used DVDFab Decrypter and HD Decrypter (free versions) for years to rip full DVDs to my Hard Drive (and also know how to use DVDShrink to get fullsize 7+GB ripped disks to 4.2GB in a folder with VOB files) (if I want to backup to a blank DVD+R I use 'Copy to Dvd' since it can look for the VOB/ISO files and burn the raw VIDEO_TS folder and make a perfect backup).

Now I am looking to take the same DVD and rip/encode it so it plays on the Creative ZEN (not Microsoft Zune). I have never used AutoMKV, but I will test it to see the results.

Am I on the right track?

My first priority is the conversion to a playable format for the ZEN, Oh, I also have a Blackberry Curve 8310 phone and got a 8GB micro-SD mem. card....hopefully this process can also make video files playable on that phone?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having a problem with AutoMKV 0.95c. When I open up the program it won't let me check my dvd drive, it is greyed out. I have unpacked the files to a folder on my c drive. It just wont let me load a dvd disc from my dvd drive, is there some kind of setting that i am missing?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nevermind. I figured out what the problem is, I'm just stupid. I downloaded the version without DVD Decrypter because I already had the program and didn't think I needed it, so I downloaded the version with DVD Decrypter and it works fine.

Anyway Thanks!!
    Quote Quote