VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some mpeg-2 and Vob clips that i need to put some Subtitles on before i Author my DVD. I use TmpgEnc DVD Author to complete all my DVD's.
    I have never used subtitles before and really need some advice on the best and easiest way to do this.......and make the finished Videos with subtitles compatible with TmpgEnc DVD Author.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    TDA doesn't do subtitles, AFAIK. The newest version may. And since you are asking about subtitles, you would get more answers in our Subtitle Forum. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Amazing that a commercial authoring package doesn't support subtitles.

You could use Rejig, a very simple and free authoring utility. It doesn't do menus though.
    You make a SUP subtitle file in, say, Subtitle Creator, and import that as a "Subpicture", along with the demuxed MPEG video and audio. Muxman is another possibility.

If you want menus, use a more complex package like GuiforDVDAuthor, which can accept several different subtitle formats, including popular SRT text.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Commercial :

Uleadvideo studio ... all in one , may not support ac3 audio depending on version (good for older system's) .
    Ulead video plus ... updated , includes pure hd , digital 5.1 surround sound ... check pc spec's before hand ... (newer pc required) .
    Sony vegas + dvd architect ... very good , though newbies may find it complicated to start with (good all rounder .. cost's more) .
    Tda ... Recommend ulead videostudio (nstc to pal and versa)
    Dvdlab ... again , recommend ulead videostudio or sony vegas + dvd architect (more funtionality for price) .

The free way :

While this might require more than one tool , it dosent restrict user's , cost's nothing (unless you want to donate) ... end up with less issue's ... better support than commercial product's ... more frequently updated than most ... and everybody can get access too them ... bearing in mind that server downtime dose happen ... just wait .

From here , it's a matter of learning each tool on there merit's , and how to work around problem's ... from guide's or on your own time in practice ... or ask us for help here in the forum .

Dvdauthorgui dose the basic work ... authoring of components (m2v , ac3 , subtitle) , with menu's .
    Pgcedit to fix any navigational error's , swap in menu's for title's without ... reconnect nav's .
    Rejig , can generate dvd title with multiple components .
    Batchdemux (dvdauthorgui's website) to demux mpeg2
    Vobedit to demux vob's
    Besweet for audio conversion
    The gimp for menu design ... buttons can be converted to 4bit using xnview , freeimage editor .
    Avisynth for motion ... good for chapter menu's .
    Wax2 plus vl preset's ... various motion technique's plus more
    Blender , animation package , cad , game engine .
    Vobblanker come's in handy along with pgcdemux and vidchanger (this one is real handy) .

Other ...

Audacity ... audio editing before conversion
    Visualsubsync ... also create you own
    Syncview ... resync audio
    Super for problematic clip conversion's
    Virtualdub / mod
    Bbmpeg , quenc ... encoder's ... bbmpeg gives preview from avisynth scripts .
    Imgburn , for burning to media
    Koolplaya , playback before burning , or avs dvd player (works well)

Tinker kit ...

Cd check
    Clonecd's cd/dvd rom emulator ... it displays a sheep iscon so you know what it is .
    Developer's notepad ... edit almost any test format without corruption
    Zipgeniuos ... all you need for archived file's ... included's other feature's
    Intercover ... print cd / dvd cover's
    Cdmage ... convert cd/dvd image format's ... to iso atleast .
    Vcdgear ... rip mpeg from ... convert too

Dvdslideshowgui
    Slideshow movie maker ... aka ... ssmm
    Dvdshrink ... use this to shrink dvd's to fit media ... use rejig for mindvd title's only ... dvdshink mess's them up .

And a few more , but almost anything can be done with those already listed ...

------------------

All you need do is ask ... help's never far away .
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replys Bjs and AlanHK.
    I am a complete newbie when it comes to subtitles but in the last day or so i have managed to put alot of subtitles on my videos. Thats no real problem.
    The difficulty for me comes when i want to put these subtitles on to a video permanently. In otherwords, when the DVD starts playing my disc the subtitle comes up on the screen automatically, instead of me pressing the subtitle button on my DVD remote to bring it up.
    Is this possible to place permanent subtitles on a video?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VEBouto
    Thanks for the replys Bjs and AlanHK.
    I am a complete newbie when it comes to subtitles but in the last day or so i have managed to put alot of subtitles on my videos. Thats no real problem.
    The difficulty for me comes when i want to put these subtitles on to a video permanently. In otherwords, when the DVD starts playing my disc the subtitle comes up on the screen automatically, instead of me pressing the subtitle button on my DVD remote to bring it up.
    Is this possible to place permanent subtitles on a video?
    There are two ways.
    One is to "burn" them into the video, when encoding the mpeg. Then they're part of the image: so if you zoom in , they'll get bigger.

Second is to make subtitles go on by default. I think this is preferable, then you can turn them off if you want. Authoring packages often have a setting to make subtitles "Autostart".

You can also use tools to change this after authoring, before burning.

See this guide, using PGCedit: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/2cool/subtitles/subtitles_on_de...lt_pgcedit.htm

This looks complex, but the guide takes you through it step by step.
    Once you get the idea, it only takes a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes thanks Alan, i have been playing around with Sony DVD Architect but can't figure out how to permanently put the subtitle in to the mpeg. I will look for that 'subtitle "Autostart" option in DVD Architect.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot set them as permanent within the dvd structure itself .

This require's the subtitle's to be hard coded onto the mpeg during the encoding stage , not the authoring stage , which is where you are at the moment .
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...You cannot set them as permanent
    More or less you can... But you need to create them as 'forced subtitles' Some DVD Players can suppress even 'forced subtitles', but that's something a user has do do 'actively'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-Lab Pro can do subtitle. Puting in the subtitle during DVD authoring is the easy part. Creating the subtitle is the hard part. If your authoring software does not support subtitle, then you consider permanent subtitle. You can use Womble MPEG Video Wizard and encode the subtitle into the MPEG file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of test's recently on several players here from several project's indicate ... if subtitle is included in title , it is shown automatically without user action .

User must use remote to switch between / or disable it only ... unless title nav command's indicate otherwise .

Not all player's accept "forced subtitles" , and may / usually ignore this feature in either case .

I agree with "More or less you can" mentioned by borax , not as a solution , but as a suggestion ...

----------------

The simplest method for this case is :

VEBouto : "In otherwords, when the DVD starts playing my disc the subtitle comes up on the screen automatically, instead of me pressing the subtitle button on my DVD remote to bring it up"

Answer : Author dvd content with included subtitle , and like magic , it will appear .
    Note : If title includes nav commands related to subtitle's , then it may or may not , depends on the nav commands used to control this feature .
    Quote Quote