VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I have a Mits WS-65711. Among it various connections, it has 3 IEEE-1394 ports.

I have seen info on recording (non-protected content) HDTV on a PC, but that is not what I'm looking to find out.

What I am interested in is using the HDTV as a computer monitor. I'm trying to learn which input will give me the best picture quality. While this TV does have a VGA input, the resolution is limited to 640x480, not to mention that it looks like crap.

Since I have a multitude of component video inputs, I've been looking into video cards that support component video output, such as some of those from ATI. Some of these cards say they support component video out and "direct drive of HDTV" via whatever-to-component adapter that ATI sells directly. But I've yet to find any end-user commentary on the quality of the picture with these methods.

Has anybody had good results hooking this TV up to a PC? Putting aside the particular TV model for the moment, what kind of video card would you recommend for HDTV output (i do have a PCI 16x express slot).

Is using the IEEE-1394 port on the TV even an option? I have yet to find any video cards that have such an output - all the firewire discussion seems focused around cable box hook ups or recording, etc.

Thanks for any insight.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope AppleJack is still reading the posts.

I have a Mitsubishi HDTV - WS-55111. It has 3 IEEE1394 inputs. My new Canon HV10 camcorder works via the firewire on my TV! My older DV camcorders (with firewire), never worked on this TV. The picture quality from the HDV camrera - IEEE1394 to the TV is awsome! The tv's remote - controls the camera - just like firewire should! If you or anyone else should read this - my question is: How can I convert the firewire signal to HDMI or DVI or component 1080? ... I ask because, my A/V system is mostly IEEE1394 - HD camcorder + computer + my HDTV. I'm just trying to keep it simple with one A/V format.[/b]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by AppleJack
    Has anybody had good results hooking this TV up to a PC? Putting aside the particular TV model for the moment, what kind of video card would you recommend for HDTV output (i do have a PCI 16x express slot.

Is using the IEEE-1394 port on the TV even an option? I have yet to find any video cards that have such an output - all the firewire discussion seems focused around cable box hook ups or recording, etc.
    The Firewire connection on your television was not meant to carry your standard video format to be honest. It is intended mainly as a better connection from your HD Cablebox or DVR and even at that..........most tv's have the two cable phono, super VHS, HD capable 5 wire Component hookup and of course HDMI now rules as the only connection a 3000.00 plus HD television deserves. Some teles sported DVI connectors for a brief spurt, but they are now getting very rare on new tv's.

Many reasons for all the hookups and so much incompatibility between A\V components in the typical system. Competition, greed, and a strong industry push to find ways to make us all pay for the movies and music we enjoy.

HDMI is gonna make it very hard to steal a movie when it becomes the only game in town. They built that interface from scratch with the idea of making it very hard to circumvent the anti-copy protocol on everything HD related.

I downloaded some software and installed it so that I could hook my DVR up to my PC with the firewire connection and it works well.........the only thing is...........the software is required to translate the HD protected content recorded on my DVR hard drive back to a video file that you can watch on your pc or burn to DVD for external storage.......If ya know what i mean?

Sorry to babble at ya..........but my point is............Firewire is a tough nut to crack and requires two software programs and recording the signal in real time on your pc........not to mention the decode adn encode time involved.............omg. Of course, your video cameras do that translating for you and even that format is obsolete by two or three generations.

Wireless and mini-DVD video cameras do a lot towards making hookups a thing of the past...Just a matter of time now.

Sadly...........the firewire port on your pc is not a HD receiver equiped marvel of the ages that your camera and tele are...........just a fast way to stream data...........lol.

All that sad crap and personal opinion leads me to offer up the following well intentioned suggestion AppleJack..........For what it is worth...........lol.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you want is a Nvidea video card with DVI, Super VHS and of course the VGA outputs as well.

I have a Nvidea 6800 \256mbs on a PCI-E bus. I ususally run a decent 19' flatscreen with that and I have no complaints.

I got a 50" HD Plasma Television for Xmas and last month I had the same crazy idea you did.......To see my Battlefield 2 and watch some of my digital archives on that huge screen.

Sooooooo...............I jumped on my motorcycle and went to Walmart where I bought a 12 HDMI cable ((Philips brand) 30.00, and a DVI to HDMI adaptor, 13.00.

I then plugged my pc into to Plasma screen using the DVI connector on the back of my video card one of the HDMI slots on my tele.

Also...........HDMI usually carries the videi and the audio signals, but with that DVI connection.......you lose the audio capability. I just ran a Djigital audio cable from the back of my Creative Audigy sound card, and it still provides all the sound quality it would have thru the hdmi.

Anyways.........Here is the reason that this idea is now so very possible of all a sudden.

Nvidea just started providing HD 1080i drivers for it's video card driver upgrades.......last two big versions I think.

Bottom line..............That High Definition image.....blown up wall size..........and so uttterly crisp and immersive that I just walked around inside my game,,,,,,,,,,,marveling at how beautiful it was.l

This is after playing weekly with my clan since Battlefield 1942 came out as a demo years ago. I upgrade my online equipment constantly........trying to keep up with my fellow players and am spoiled rotten.

Having said that...............This PC to DVI to HDMI hookup with Nvidea alternate resoulution options tab in Nv control panel is by far the nicest chunk of eye candy I have every experienced.....perioe.

Read the driver documention, as well as your MIts docs. Then go for it...........You are gonna be in love with your PC again....no doubt about it.

The 6800 is considered outdated by the 7800 and 8800 bye the world class players I team with but for your use, the 1080i output is the very finest standard in the world right now for HD television. Why spend more for it when you don't have to.

You can pick up a 6800 with 256 megs of memory and PCI-E or AGP 8x for almost nothing in comparision..............lol.

Respects...........Winter
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ?????

Originally Posted by AppleJack
    Hi

I have a Mits WS-65711. Among it various connections, it has 3 IEEE-1394 ports.

I have seen info on recording (non-protected content) HDTV on a PC, but that is not what I'm looking to find out.

What I am interested in is using the HDTV as a computer monitor. I'm trying to learn which input will give me the best picture quality. While this TV does have a VGA input, the resolution is limited to 640x480, not to mention that it looks like crap.

Since I have a multitude of component video inputs, I've been looking into video cards that support component video output, such as some of those from ATI. Some of these cards say they support component video out and "direct drive of HDTV" via whatever-to-component adapter that ATI sells directly. But I've yet to find any end-user commentary on the quality of the picture with these methods.

Has anybody had good results hooking this TV up to a PC? Putting aside the particular TV model for the moment, what kind of video card would you recommend for HDTV output (i do have a PCI 16x express slot).

Thanks for any insight.
    This is an expensive older TV. Way back then ~2003-4 it was thought IEEE-1394 MPeg2_TS (AKA D-VHS) would make a good interface format for consumer HDTV. Since it has fallen from favor vs. HDMI. It is possible your IEEE-1394 port follows DV protocol.

VGA 640x480 was consistent with 2003 chip sets. Many responded to 540p using Powerstrip software but you risked damaging the TV. New models favor "wide" VESA standards over VGA such as 1366x480.

If you aren't a tech Geek, stick to analog component @720p if it accepts it. I'd bet it doesn't. Next try 1080i which will be Yucky as a computer monitor buy less yucky than 640x480 with 540p being somewhere in the middle.

I know of no way to output a desktop @ MPeg2_TS.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to time shift back to 2003, the card of choice would be the ATI AIW 95xx or above, Those would be OK at analog component 1080i for watching video but poor for computer desktop. The overscan correction and anti flicker filter would blur it down below 720p. Better to use 720p of it supports it.
    Quote Quote