VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a Panasonic HDD/DVD Recorder (DMR-XW50) which has an SD card slot. The instruction manual says it will recognise MPEG2 video files that are saved in an SD VIDEO folder on the SD Card. Of course, it`s mainly referring to MPEG2 files that have been saved on the card directly from an SD video camera.

However, I have a lot of avi, asf, mp4, 3gp etc, video files on my PC which have been taken with digital cameras and mobile phones, so I want to convert them to a recognisable MPEG2 format for the DVD Recorder`s SD slot.

I know I can convert and burn files to a DVD or SVCD and load them on to the DVD recorder that way, but I want to use the SD Card slot in the future because its much more convenient for loading video files i take with digital still cameras, mobile phones etc.

I have tried converting these files to MPEG2 using Nero7 (SVCD output file) and IMToo MPEG Encoder (MPEG2, SVCD etc), and saving them to an SD Card. But the DVD Recorder wont recognise that there are any video files on the card. (It does recognise the music and picture files, but not the video).

Ive searched the net for appropriate MPEG2 filenames and formats, and read everything on Panasonics website but couldnt find anything to help. Ive also checked the manual for the Panasonic SD Video Camera to see if there are any filenames or extensions it uses to be recognisable on the DVD reorders sd slot. But no luck yet.

My feeling is that I just need to use the right filename structure for the MPEG2 file to be recognised on the SD card for this DVD recorder, but i cant find info on it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Burton.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Aren't the panasonic mpeg2 cameras using the .mod file extension? Try convert to dvd mpeg2 with for example tmpgenc plus or the imtoo and then rename the files to .mod like video.mod.
    Quote Quote  
  3. yep you`re right, after some more searching ive found they do use *.mod extensions, and i read on another forum that a typical file/folder structure for a Panasonic camera would be SD_VIDEO/PROG1/M0021.MOD. But I tried this, and the dvd recorder still didnt recognise it.

If anyone can confirm the above file/folder structure for a Panasonic SD camcorder is correct, then great. Otherwise, in the meantime i just have to try all different kinds of conversion software. Maybe it needs a particular kind of MPEG2 file.

Thanks for the help anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I too am having the same problem, I thought putting an mpeg 2 file converted from an avi file on the card, and inserting it into the dvd recorder would be excepted ..but have also found it won`t.

It says SD VIDEO is that different to mpeg 2, I am suprised there is not a simple converter to do the job

Is there not one...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just got a new panasonic recorder and was hoping to do the same thing with the sd card slot. I have got loads of video files that I was hoping to load onto the panasonic. Has anyone found out what how do do this? I have been searching today and found some coversion software called mod converter, but all I think it does is convert from .mod and not to them. Hope someone has found a solution.
    erdie :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes erdie, iI have encountered the same problem, I wanted to convert mpeg 4 and mpeg 2 to .mod file.

But there seems no convertor to do it

Any ideas anyone........?
    Quote Quote