VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We seem to have drifted a bit off topic here, but I'd like to revert to the original question, and guns1inger's useful response:
    Open the video in MPC, then click on Play -> Audio -> Option. Tick the box next to Audio time shift(ms), and enter a number. Click OK, and play the video. Keep changing this number until the audio lines up. Once you are happy that you have found the delay in milliseconds, open the video in virtualdubmod and click on Streams -> Stream List. Right-click and select Interleaving. In the bottom section of the dialogue, marked Audio Skew Correction, enter the number you found in MPC. Click OK, OK. Click on File -> Save As, and using Direct Stream Copy, save a new, hopefully corrected, avi file.
    Yup, this is the way to do it. But I have some value-added advice.

Don't bother opening up MPC's Audio time shift box each time, or at all. You can do all the audio syncing stuff from the keyboard.

First, discover that you can loop a chunk of video in MPC by using Ctl-LeftCursor while in play mode. Hit it once or twice and it'll jump you back a few seconds. So find a place in the movie where audio sync is most obvious (car door slam, close-up dialogue, whatever), play that, and loop back with Ctl-LeftCursor. Repeat this until you're clear whether the audio delay is negative or positive. (Yes, there's a logical double negative in there, but you have to learn to live with it because audio delay is the industry-standard way of thinking about this. It means if the audio is BEHIND the video, you need to add NEGATIVE audio delay (I think. I know how to do this intuitively now, but I have to rethink it every time I describe it. Such fun!)

Once you've made up your mind whether you need to add or subtract audio delay, you can now do that from the keyboard. With my set up it's WindowsKey+Plus or WindowsKey+Minus to add or subtract 10ms of audio delay. You'll see a figure popping up in the status line, bottom left. You may have to use slightly different key combos, or mess a bit with MPC's settings to get this working -- I've been doing this too long to remember how I got it set up like this. But we can talk this through some more here if folks can't get it working.

So you can loop and adjust the delay as much as you like until it kind of clicks into place (if it doesn't you may be adding when you should be subtracting). Then note the figure (as the metrics only display for a short while you might need to hit WindowsKey+Plus and then WindowsKey+Minus to get it back again) and feed it into Vdub as guns1nger describes.

--
    voodle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Things have moved on since I offered that advice.

If I was doing it today, I would use AVIDemux instead. Just tick the Shift box under the audio tab, and change the value. Press the stop (not pause/play) button and then play again to see the effect. All this happens in the one program, on the one page. And if you build a VBR timemap, you can adjust VBR MP3 sync as well - something virtualdubmod isn't too happy with.

I am liking AVIDemux more and more as I use it.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting response, guns. Yes, I agree that AVIDemux is definitely a tool to watch. But I wouldn't use it for syncing audio just yet. IME its audio playback on a moderately loaded dual core system is pretty wayward, and I think you might wrestle for ages to bang something into sync only to find the audiodelay you'd derived was wrong.

VideoDub(Mod) and MCP are solid, well-known tools.

As to VBR MP3 in an AVI -- no thanks. :-)

--
    voodle
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have used it on several movies on my system and have no playback problems at all. I have then independently verified the results on standalone players and it works. I suspect your problems lie elsewhere.

As for VBR MP3 - agree entirely, but sometimes it is easier to shuffle it along a little bit that have to re-encode.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect your problems lie elsewhere.
    Rather than jump to the conclusion that these are "my problems" it might be worth checking out the avidemux forums, guns. Enough users have been having audio problems with recent builds to justify caution in this particular use of the tool, I would have thought. But forum members will want to make their own minds up about this.

This isn't to diss avidemux in any way, and you're right to draw attention to this fabulous new cross-platform tool. The more people who use it the better. And I suppose the more people who use it for audio syncing (and report their problems with more detail than I've been able to give) the faster it will evolve into something truly useful. :-)

--
    voodle
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

This is my first post. Now I've gotten a movie, it came in nine parts and joined them together with Winrar. No problems there as so far in I know.

Anyway the movie and the sound are off sync, but the thing of it is, it varies depending on how far in the movie I am. I can't really tell you which way it is. Now I've tried almost all the stuff you guys have been mentioning but it really isn't working for me.

This could be due to the following fact: I am extremely technologically inept. I can install games, play music, burn CDs, and DVDs but this problem is WAY over my head.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi there, i am prett new to this whole thing.. i have a avi file where the video seems to be running slower than the audio. The audio sounds right but the video is moving or playing at a slower rate putting it out quite a bit..is there any way to correct this problem
    thanks so much!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to install media player classic in XP home edition, but for some reason, whenever i load a video, it gives an error and says it needs to close. Anyone have a solution to my problem? I have a video that i need to get in synch.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @snafubaby,

I don't have any recommendations for your problem with MPC, never had a problem with it that wasn't my own fault, but the KMPlayer will also let you adjust A/V sync dynamically (right-click on video, then Playback > Audio Resync > Resync Audio; use left and right arrow keys to adjust on the fly). You'll still need to go into VdubMod or whatever to enter the proper delay as Guns1inger instructs and save the change to the file. Of course this assumes you have a constant delay that you need to shift.

KMP is at: http://www.free-codecs.com/KMPlayer_download.htm
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @squash
    The problem with KMPlayer seems to be that the audio sync adjustment dialogue box is modal. Ie (if I've got this right) while it's open, you lose control over other player functions -- critically the ability to jump back to rerun a sequence. The adjustment is also limited to a few tens of mms in either direction. MPC suffers from none of these disadvantages.

@snafubaby
    Does MPC fail with all video files, or just one of them?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @voodle,

I've never tried the looping so I'm not surprised it doesn't work in KMP. The few times I've used the sync adjust feature in KMP I played a scene where people are talking and adjusted until lips and sounds matched.

I just checked my version of KMP (the layest beta 1339) and it allows adjustments of +/- 20000 ms (20 seconds) if using the bottom selection on the resync menu rather than the presets. I haven't needed more than that so I wasn't aware of the limitation. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im having an issue with avi buring to. The avi plays perfect on the pc but once I try to burn with nero the audio is way out of sync and the video plays slow. Im clueless how to fix.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guns1inger wrote the following a while ago:"
    Open the video in MPC, then click on Play -> Audio -> Option. Tick the box next to Audio time shift(ms), and enter a number. Click OK, and play the video. Keep changing this number until the audio lines up. Once you are happy that you have found the delay in milliseconds, open the video in virtualdubmod and click on Streams -> Stream List. Right-click and select Interleaving. In the bottom section of the dialogue, marked Audio Skew Correction, enter the number you found in MPC. Click OK, OK. Click on File -> Save As, and using Direct Stream Copy, save a new, hopefully corrected, avi file." Problem is I can't even find in Media Player 11 the Audio option to make the time shift.

I have Windows XP Home Edition.

After downloading and decompressing large video clips (downloaded as compressed WinRAR files), the video clip (.avi file) always comes out with a brief lag between the voice and the image of aprox. 2-1.5 seconds. It doesn’t
    matter what Media player I use (or if I burn the clip on a DVD), the problem is still there. To me, it appears that something is happening when un-packaging the file. An acquaintance however suggested that it might be a codec issue but I never
    had this problem before when playing a video file.

Hope somebody can help me. Thank you in advance for your consideration.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alvaradi
    Problem is I can't even find in Media Player 11 the Audio option to make the time shift.
    You have to use Media Player Classic, not the one provided by windows. It's a totally different application. Just download the one in the tools section.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!!

Please somebody help me!!

I can't seem to get this done. I downloaded the MPC as instructed and tried to open the file but had the following message (only get the audio, no video):

Media Player Classic could not render some of the pins in the graph, you may not have the needed codecs or filters installed in the system.

The following pin(s) failed to find a connectable filter:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Ivan's documents\Movies\mvs-simps.avi::Video 0

Media Type 0:
    --------------------------
    Video: XVID 640x272 25.00fps 971Kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    subtype: Unknown GUID Name {44495658-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
    formattype: FORMAT_VideoInfo {05589F80-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 1
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 138720
    cbFormat: 88

VIDEOINFOHEADER:
    rcSource: (0,0)-(0,0)
    rcTarget: (0,0)-(0,0)
    dwBitRate: 971800
    dwBitErrorRate: 0
    AvgTimePerFrame: 400000

BITMAPINFOHEADER:
    biSize: 40
    biWidth: 640
    biHeight: 272
    biPlanes: 1
    biBitCount: 12
    biCompression: XVID
    biSizeImage: 1044480
    biXPelsPerMeter: 0
    biYPelsPerMeter: 0
    biYPelsPerMeter: 0
    biClrUsed: 0
    biClrImportant: 0

pbFormat:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
    0020: 18 d4 0e 00 00 00 00 00 80 1a 06 00 00 00 00 00 .Ô......€.......
    0030: 28 00 00 00 80 02 00 00 10 01 00 00 01 00 0c 00 (...€...........
    0040: 58 56 49 44 00 f0 0f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 XVID.ð..........
    0050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I am confused....downloaded KMPlayer as other poster recommended to somebody else and everything was OK (no sync problem). I tried to play the same file in Media Player 11 (and with other media players) and then the file is out of sync. After watching the video through KMPlayer it seems that the audio is coming out ok but the video is playing at a slower motion (Media Player 11 vs. KMPlayer) than what is needed.

Somebody has a clue? How do I get Nero to burn it as KMPlayer plays it?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need some help. I am using Super to convert .flv videos to .avi and the sound is ahead of the video. Here are my settings:

Encode to File Format: AVI
    Use Video Codec: MPEG-4 , 320:240 (4:3) , 1152 kbps , 29.97 fps
    Use Audio Codec: mp3 , Stereo , 96 kbps , 44100 khz , AudioStream [default] selected
    Quote Quote  
  19. even i had 2 know this ... cool solution 8) ! thanx guyz...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oops posted in the wrong place
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a problem too.

When I convert my MPG files to DivX and mp3 sound using Speed Video Converter, the sound is fine as long you don't touch the slider. If I use the slider in MediaPlayer 11 to jump forward or backward the sound is playing out of sync (ahead).

If I use the original sound, or "no compression" the sound is fine, even if you use the slider.

The codecs i use is:
    DivX 6.4.0
    MPEG Layer-3

Do i have to change codecs, or am I doing something wrong ?

Merry X-Mas to you and a Happy New 2008

/Bengt
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I met audio and video async too, can anyone explain why it is good when I play it in one player, but have problem in other player.
    sorry, I know little about this.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have several videos that i have made in virtualdubmod that play in sync in mpc but play out of sync on hardware players unless i pause the videos then hit play. i don't want to have to do that (hit play, pause, play) for every video. i've been using virtualdub and many of its iterations for years and never came across this problem, until i started to use standalone players. i've tried divfix (rebuilding headers and checking for errors) ive also had virtualdubmod check for errors to no avail. any ideas would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen some players have problems when doing format conversion of Divx/Xvid files. I have an LG player that has sync issues when playing back 23.976 fps avi files and converting them to PAL output. It does not exhibit the same issues when playing back DVDs. By setting the player to output the native signal of the source, these problems disappear.

I have seen this on a number of players.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My video is in sync up until about 15 minutes in. At that point the video gets really jerky for a few seconds, but returns to normal. Unfortunately the audio is ahead of the video for the rest of the movie. Any ideas on how to fix it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have a corrupt video. You might be able to cut the broken section out using virtualdub, but often it is simpler to throw it away and get a new copy.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Things have moved on since I offered that advice.

If I was doing it today, I would use AVIDemux instead. Just tick the Shift box under the audio tab, and change the value. Press the stop (not pause/play) button and then play again to see the effect. All this happens in the one program, on the one page. And if you build a VBR timemap, you can adjust VBR MP3 sync as well - something virtualdubmod isn't too happy with.

I am liking AVIDemux more and more as I use it.
    How do you get the audio to play in AVIdemux? I downloaded the latest version and can't hear anything from the program when the file is playing.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by DVDNewb
    How do you get the audio to play in AVIdemux? I downloaded the latest version and can't hear anything from the program when the file is playing.

Thanks!
    Can your AVI audio be heard when played in a software player on your PC?

What kind of audio codecs being used by the AVI file? (use gspot or mediainfo if you don't know)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I figured out the problem. I had to go inthe to Audio tab in AVIDemux preferences and select the output for my audio. It was set to none for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Open the video in MPC, then click on Play -> Audio -> Option. Tick the box next to Audio time shift(ms), and enter a number. Click OK, and play the video. Keep changing this number until the audio lines up. Once you are happy that you have found the delay in milliseconds, open the video in virtualdubmod and click on Streams -> Stream List. Right-click and select Interleaving. In the bottom section of the dialogue, marked Audio Skew Correction, enter the number you found in MPC. Click OK, OK. Click on File -> Save As, and using Direct Stream Copy, save a new, hopefully corrected, avi file.
    Thanks allot for your advise, you instruction work first time for me, and once I had all the software up and running it was a straight forward process.

Cheers Mate.
    Quote Quote