VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    im trying to backup my copy of "the office" (british version)

    but shrink says its too big.

    wtfiuwt ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member oldandinthe way's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2006
    Location: With the other crabapples
    Search Comp PM
    Too big. You will need to break it into two disks or delete extra audio files, subtiles or extras.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date: Sep 2002
    Location: USA
    Search Comp PM
    Or, quick and dirty, run the Shrink file through DVD Shrink once again. Check the quality before burning, though. This works for Shrink if you really want it all. Alternatively, use a program like DVD Remake instead to fine tune the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member ntscuser's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Is this a Canadian disc?

    I've known Canadian discs like "LEXX" to have separate angles for the French and English versions. DVD Shrink will report this as being duplicate files which take up twice as much space. You need to remove one or other angle before the programmes will fit a DVD-5. The latest version of RipIt4Me will do that for you. Alternatively you can reauthor with just the bits you need using DVD Shrink but you will lose the menu in the process.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Or, quick and dirty, run the Shrink file through DVD Shrink once again. Check the quality before burning, though. This works for Shrink if you really want it all. Alternatively, use a program like DVD Remake instead to fine tune the conversion.
    i think ill try your re-shrinking advice since there isnt really any extras on disk one - just the six episodes and no extra audio either (weird too cause disk two is less than 3 gigs)

    thanx
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Is this a Canadian disc?

    I've known Canadian discs like "LEXX" to have separate angles for the French and English versions. DVD Shrink will report this as being duplicate files which take up twice as much space. You need to remove one or other angle before the programmes will fit a DVD-5. The latest version of RipIt4Me will do that for you. Alternatively you can reauthor with just the bits you need using DVD Shrink but you will lose the menu in the process.
    i used ripit4me so thas probably not the issue
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member ntscuser's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Have you run deep analysis? DVD Shrink sometimes reports the wrong file length before this is run.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Have you run deep analysis? DVD Shrink sometimes reports the wrong file length before this is run.
    yea i ran deep analysis.....file too big.

    anyhow, i appreciate everyones help but i used redwudz advice and shrunk it twice.

    worked well and the quality is good enough (afterall we are talking about a sitcom here - recorded with a digital camera - not some scinematic work of art so hi-rez is not critical)

    thanx again
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    after further use of the backup i realized that this method didnt really work quite well since about halfway through the disk - it becomes REALLY choppy and starts to pause until it completely freezes.
    i tried it on a couple of dvd players and even on MPC it happenes.

    is there another route i can take?
    as ive mentioned before theres really nothing on the dvd that i can take out (as in extras or subtitles or other audio options) so using something like DVD remake is not an option.

    is there something else like shrink that will take the 7.8gig disk?

    (i still dont understand why shrink even has a max file size limit before conversion, i meanm if it sompletely re-encodes it then it shuldnt matter if youre willing to sacrifice some quality)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member Krispy Kritter's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: St Louis, MO USA
    Search Comp PM
    Try ripping the original with DVDFab Decryptor to your HD. Then use DVDShrink and open the files.

    DVDShrink should open the files without any issue and I've never gotten an file size limit "before" it creates the output. I've had it create the disc image and then give a "file is too big for disc" error (or something similar, and rerunning DVDShrink on the image again will correct it.

    Just and FYI and all that, DVDShrink doesn't "re-encode" the video.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Try ripping the original with DVDFab Decryptor to your HD. Then use DVDShrink and open the files.

    DVDShrink should open the files without any issue and I've never gotten an file size limit "before" it creates the output. I've had it create the disc image and then give a "file is too big for disc" error (or something similar, and rerunning DVDShrink on the image again will correct it.

    Just and FYI and all that, DVDShrink doesn't "re-encode" the video.
    if it doesnt re-encode it then what is it doing when it sais "encoding"?

    anyhow, the advice u suggested is one ive already tried and as ive mentioned the disk is unwatchable after srinking it twice (get really choppy till it completely stops playing)

    the warning message i get from shrink BEFORE it analyses and encodes is that the output file will be too big to fit on a standard dvd-5 (single layer) disk.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member fritzi93's Avatar
    Join Date: Nov 2003
    Location: U.S.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ted demen
    if it doesnt re-encode it then what is it doing when it sais "encoding"?
    No, it's actually TRANSCODING. Short explanation: There are two kinds of data in an MPEG2 video stream.

    1) Motion Vector Data
    2) Residual Data. (DCT coefficients).

    The residual data is basically new pixel information, "some" can be thrown out without degrading the picture too much. It varies, an action film will have more motion vector data than a "talking head" film. ALL transcoders work by reducing discrete cosine transform (DCT) bits only.

    So, which frames get re-quantised? "I" frames are all residual data, basically like a JPEG picture, it is complete in itself. "P" frames contain both motion vector data and residual data. They reference previous "I" or "P" frames, using the residual data for correction. Requantise "P" frames too heavily and the error correction is insufficient, leading to jerkiness. Errors build up

    "B" frames also contain motion vectors and residual data, but are not referenced by other frames, making them ideal targets for requantisation. Errors do not accumulate thereby.

    That is in fact what DVDShrink does, it is biased to requantise "B" frames more heavily. But at some point, after requantising all "B" frames, if the reduction is insufficient to reach target size, it must also requantise "I" and "P" frames, and that's when the really obvious picture degradation starts.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    thanx for that explanation Fritzi93, interesting stuff.

    so i guess in short: there is too much video stream data on this disk so that shrink gets to a threshold where it cant compress (or transcode) the data without obvious quality/stability issues?

    i guess im outa luck in regards to actually doing anything to this disk unless i split it into two?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member Krispy Kritter's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: St Louis, MO USA
    Search Comp PM
    I've done copies of 24 and CSI, which typically have 4 45min episodes without any issues.

    I expect there is some issue specific to that disc or there is a problem somewhere with your tools or process.

    If you look at the disc contents in DVDShrink, are there actually only 6 episodes listed and are they really using a large amount of disc space?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member Krispy Kritter's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: St Louis, MO USA
    Search Comp PM
    Also, for what its worth. I also use DVD2One, especially for projects such as this where a lot of "compression" is needed. It does a much better job, but it isn't free.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member ntscuser's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ted demen
    thanx for that explanation Fritzi93, interesting stuff.

    so i guess in short: there is too much video stream data on this disk so that shrink gets to a threshold where it cant compress (or transcode) the data without obvious quality/stability issues?

    i guess im outa luck in regards to actually doing anything to this disk unless i split it into two?
    Could you perhaps post a screen shot of what Shrink says is actually on the disc so we can see for ourselves? Maybe we'll spot soemthing you haven't?
    Quote Quote  
  17. VH Veteran jimmalenko's Avatar
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Down under
    Search PM
    IIRC the British "The Office" DVD took quite a bit of work for me to back up as well and as the OP says, later versions of DVDshrink with thresholds of 50% as a minimum are not able to do it 1st time. Of course this is not to say that you can't run it through DVDShrink multiple times.

    I think I originally went with an IFOEdit splitting guide to split to 2 DVD-5s but later on I found VOBBlanker to be much easier in this task whilst retaining menus. Of course that was back before DL DVDRs. Piece of piss now !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member Krispy Kritter's Avatar
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: St Louis, MO USA
    Search Comp PM
    Good information to know...thanks. I've never seen the 50% threshold error.

    And I agree with jimmalenko, I keep DVD DL discs on hand for any tasks such as this or for longer than normal movies to avoid high compression.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    Krispy Kritter,

    the size of the original dvd (disk1) is 7.8 gigs.
    there are 6 episodes on disk one and no extras of any kind that i could disable in shrink
    each episode is 30 minutes

    disk 2 is where all the extras are (and no actual episodes) and the size of that disk is only 3 gigs or so, but that one is obviously not the issue.

    heres a couple of screen shots:



    Quote Quote  
  20. Member ntscuser's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2003
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    You could try Nero Recode but you may have to use DVD Rebuilder and re-encode each episode individually.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date: May 2005
    Location: canada
    Search Comp PM
    ok got it.

    DVD2One is the answer.

    simple, quick, no playback problems.

    thanx for the help. (especially Krispy Kritter)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date: Feb 2003
    Location: U.S.A.
    Search Comp PM
    DVDshrink does have a "custom ratio" compression setting if "automatic" doesn't work well.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads