VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by grantaccess
    While checking into why one model performed so much better I found in the specs that some Sony camcorders have Time Based Corrector listed in the specs. I looked up the manual for The_Doman's Sony (http://www.henrys.com/manuals/sony/DCR-TRV120-320.pdf) and found that a TBC is mentioned in the playback options for correcting jitter. I assumed that the TBC was employed to make some consumer function of the camera possible (and marketable) and that it's functionality in the pass-through convertion was just a bonus for those of us who convert older source material.
    Yes my Sony TVR120 has that TBC function in the menu which can be switched on or off.
    But for the passthrough function don't see any difference, the incoming video signal is always stabilized it seems.
    I guess it's a specific function to disable it for playing back analog Hi-8 tapes.
    The same for the DNR function, with analog passthrough I can't see any difference...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by kamaleon
    hehe please don't get too carried away, i've got a pal camcorder as i live in europe (though i appreciate reading your great posts!)

@ FulciLives so your idea of a high cbr rate might be a good thing for me after all, i'd never thought of it actually. I didn't know you could do a lot of the stuff one can do on virtualdub(mod) to mpeg2 files.

So which solution can produce the better final result: capture un mpeg2 cbr or dv then reencode in mpeg?
    The problem with consumer camcorder video is users never use tripods like the pro's do. This causes all pixels to be in constant X, Y and rotational motion frustrating MPeg2 encoders that are trying to compress based on pixels repeating frame to frame.

When they can't find any stationary pixel blocks, the encoder is forced to use more intraframe (in frame) compression that severely reduces quality. For this reason you should ask for minimal compression for DVD encoding to maximize quality. This means HQ (high quality) or >9000Kb/s (CBR )

If the cameraperson has a steady hand, or if a tripod is used, then lower bitrates can work.
    Do you know why the hell TEMPEGC is max out at 8000kb then?

@The_Doman
    You need TBC on the hi8 camcorder man... I would always use it just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  3. TMPGEnc Plus can encode up to something like 80,000 kbps. Just change Profile & Level to a higher setting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello guys, I know its been a long time since last post.
    I iwned the GS400 since 2006, nevetheless havent use it for last 10 years.
    But I need to capture some old Hi8 through GS400 to PC. Can you please explain how to set up the GS400 as A-D converter?
    If someone remembers.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    I am not sure the GS400 can be used as an A/D converter. Have you tried setting [AV IN/OUT] -> [AV JACK] -> [IN/OUT] ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe not in 1 step in passthrough mode. It has however an S-Video input so it should be possible to record S-Video as DV and play it back digitally (via Firewire, USB (?)) or analog via S-Video OUT in a second step. Just guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bwaak has it. In the AV IN/OUT menu put DV OUT to ON.

Connect to your PC via Firewire, or, if you're lucky, use a USB Mini B to USB A cable to connect for DV transfer via USB. Use Scenalyzer- pick Microsoft VCR or Video Edit.
    Quote Quote