Region code hack posted by Alejandro Rivera, December 19 2003:

NO DISC INSIDE THE DVD PLAYER
    USE ONLY THE REMOTE CONTROL
    1) POWER ON
    2) PRESS ON REMOTE 11233543254346
    3) POWER OFF

POWER ON AND INSERT ANY REGION DISC
    AND PLAY THEM ALL (ALL REGIONS)

Hi, I wanted to know if I do this will I still be able to play US DVDs?

Also, the reason I want to do this is so I can watch the UK release of Death Machine.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it works, yes, you will be able to play a disc from any region.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it... It will not work.... Any other codes???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite often, newer models have the firmare locked to prevent the hack codes from working. If there are any other known codes they will be in the DVD Hacks section. If not, you will need to get a region free supported player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sanyo dated March 2001 and the hack does not work on it. So I am guessing that it need to be a newer model for the hack to work, or a range in between 3/2001 and 12/2003+. Unfortunately, I can not find any support for this model, or any DVD players on Sanyo's website, so I am guessing they have dropped DVD player support and the hope of a FW update to enable the hack is highly doubtful.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dkoon14
    I have a Sanyo dated March 2001 and the hack does not work on it. So I am guessing that it need to be a newer model for the hack to work, or a range in between 3/2001 and 12/2003+. Unfortunately, I can not find any support for this model, or any DVD players on Sanyo's website, so I am guessing they have dropped DVD player support and the hope of a FW update to enable the hack is highly doubtful.
    I wonder if this should be in a sticky at some point...
    1) Sometimes people who post hacks leave out critical pieces of information and the hack won't work without it. For example, maybe you have to press the down arrow prior to entering a code, but their instructions say nothing about pressing the down arrow. You'll probably never figure that out.
    2) Hardware changes by the manufacturer occur at a much faster rate than most consumers realize and hacks can be obsolete by the time they are posted. The hack may have worked on players made 3 months ago, but the stores where you live only carry the newest model which has different hardware now. The guy who posted the hack lived in a place where older models were still available or you didn't get the info on the hack prior to the hardware being changed.
    3) Some hacks only work on DVD players sold in particular regions. For example, it's known that some DVD players sold in the USA and Canada cannot be hacked but the same model sold in Europe or Australia can be hacked. This could relate to #2 - different hardware in different regions.

If your 8 year old Sanyo still works, be glad about that. Anything that old is pretty antiquated in terms of what current players can do and not likely to last much longer anyway. Most consumers are doing really well if they can get 2-3 years out of DVD player before having to replace it.
    Quote Quote