VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’ve compiled a DVD using Nero containing a selection of videos from various sources such as internet, other DVDs and ‘enhanced’ audio CDs containing videos. The majority of the volume levels are fine except the videos from the audio CDs which are quieter in comparison.

I know there is a feature in Nero to adjust the volume levels of the videos however getting them to match would be a case of trial and error. I don’t want to have to try some levels, burn it, find out they are wrong, adjust again, burn it, find out they are still wrong and waste time and money getting the levels right.

Is there a quicker way of comparing the volume level of the videos and getting them to match???
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Normalizing them...but you I don't know any tool that does it when you convert to DVD. You have to demux the audio and fix the audio with a sound editor and then remux them back...lots of work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That sounds way too complicated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May be complicated, but their ain't no other way to go . .
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If avi files you can use https://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?guideid=948#948
    and then convert them to dvd. Or change ffmpeg to convert directly to mpeg.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can modify the script to work on .VOB files, but the muxing back to DVD will require an app called mplex (I'll supply you a link, and mod the script, but first I want to know if I should go to the trouble). It would still require re-authoring to DVD, although most of the work would be done.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Would be handy if it was possible to normalize the VOBs.

Soopafresh - not done anything with scripting. Please breifly explain the process.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Lemme make some modifications and I'll post the info here in a few hours. Scripting is easy. It's just a series of commands that run automatically when you double click on a file with a .BAT extension. First thing you'll need to do is to copy the .VOB files off of the DVD and into a folder on your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the initial series of files. I bundled it all together (and included the unmodified apps and source code per gnu/opensource compliance).

Download Link - http://www.bestsharing.com/files/ms001182078/Vob_Gain.zip.html

1) Extract the Vob_Gain.zip file into a folder. Place the 5 extracted files into the same folder as your VOBs. It should look just like this:

Code:
    cygwin1.dll
    ffmpeg.exe
    mplex.exe
    normalize.exe
    VOB_GAIN.BAT
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    2) Make sure you have AT LEAST 2 times the available space on your hard drive as the space occupied by the VOBs. If your VOBs take up a total of 4GB, make sure you have at least 8GB of free space on your drive.

3) DoubleClick on VOB_GAIN.BAT and watch the fun begin. It'll take around 10 Minutes per VOB.

4) Once the process is done, your folder will look like this:

Code:
    cygwin1.dll
    ffmpeg.exe
    mplex.exe
    VTS_01_0.mpg <--
    VTS_01_1.mpg <--
    VTS_01_2.mpg <--
    normalize.exe
    voblist.txt
    VOB_GAIN.BAT
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    5) The New Normalized Files Will Be Named VTS_xx_x.mpg. Those are the files you'll need to give to your DVD Authoring Program. You can delete the .VOB files from the folder.

- Note - This is fresh out of the oven, so it isn't very well tested at all. I'm interested in knowing if the .MPG files are accepted by your DVD authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Could you repost your zip file again please. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for making that available again.

I'll give you feedback when I've completed the job (it may take a while).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mr_tinka
    I’ve compiled a DVD using Nero containing a selection of videos from various sources such as internet, other DVDs and ‘enhanced’ audio CDs containing videos. The majority of the volume levels are fine except the videos from the audio CDs which are quieter in comparison.

I know there is a feature in Nero to adjust the volume levels of the videos however getting them to match would be a case of trial and error. I don’t want to have to try some levels, burn it, find out they are wrong, adjust again, burn it, find out they are still wrong and waste time and money getting the levels right.

Is there a quicker way of comparing the volume level of the videos and getting them to match???
    Well you've seen one of the cool features of NeroVision Express (I use ver.6, NVE3). The ability to adjust volume is one.

Here's an easy fix for your problem. Get this very handy app.

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

Open it (I use the vertical one), change the scale to db and run it concurrently with NVE. Go into Edit, play the clip, hit the 'check mark' and the use your arrow keys to adjust the volume in real time. It doesn't work as smoothly in other apps (Ulead products) as every volume adjustment necessitates hitting the play button again.

Quote Quote  
  13. If anyone has a copy of this vobgain zip file, could they pls re-up as the orig is no longer avail
    Thanks if can help.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by peterbuilt
    If anyone has a copy of this vobgain zip file, could they pls re-up as the orig is no longer avail
    Thanks if can help.
    Probably not, see https://forum.videohelp.com/topic328986.html#1856719
    Quote Quote  
  15. Thanks for link baldrick.
    Quote Quote