VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16
FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh View Post
    Here you go. No promises. It seems to work OK.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kbyyb3gxszj/avi_gain_v08_BETA.zip
    I couldn't find this file anymore.

I usually get .mp4 files and have to convert them to xvid/mp3 so I can play them on my dvd player with upconvert or if I'm lucky the file will already be xvid/mp3.

Your process ends up with divx/mp3. Does this affect the quality of the video in any way since I start with xvid?

Is there any way to have the video portion end up unaltered with the same video codec and parameters that the original file had?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    fonzo < Parameters remained unchanged in version 1.37, it is the best
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Art Blos View Post
    fonzo < Parameters remained unchanged in version 1.37, it is the best

I couldn't find a link for version 1.37. If that's what I need, please repost it for me.

So, in place of that I tried version 1.40 using "Video Gain MP3.exe".

The original file was video stream: 882Kbps, 640*272 23.976 fps, MPEG-4 Visual (Xvid)
    audio stream 128 Kbps, 48KHz, 2 channels, MP3

After running it: video stream 882 640*272 47.952fps, mp4v
    audio stream 128, 48K, 2 channels, MP3

First, it changed the video codec so my dvd player can't play it. 2nd it changed the frame
    rate which makes no sense, and 3rd, the volume level didn't increase by much at all.

I want it to leave the video stream alone with no change,
    normalize and increase the volume of the audio stream while leaving the parameters the same,
    and leave it as an .avi file.
    It would be nice to be able to tell the program how many dBs you want the audio to increase by and try to do that while monitoring for clipping and minimizing it. Something like 0-10+ would be nice.
    If I remember from my car audio days, a 10dB increase will give a perceived doubling of the volume.

Most older versions of Video Gain have been removed from this thread.

Can someone please help me out?
    Thanks for any help provided.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I found version 1.37 on a torrent.
    When it works, "mp4v" as the video codec instead of the original XVID listing using "MediaInfo".
    And, the program seems to bomb on almost every avi I give it when merging audio and video streams. Don't know why.
    I even made sure I tried .avi xvid/mp3 files which I was able to run through avi_gain_07 with no problems to make sure the input files weren't funky.

HELP!!
    Last edited by fonzo; 29th Aug 2013 at 00:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm here all versions send to version 1.37 and 1.41 last, link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wscaa369jqkh60q/Video%20Gain%20v1.37%20and%201.41.rar
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I attached the 1.37 and 1.41 to this post. Scanned with virustotal.com.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I attached the 1.37 and 1.41 to this post. Scanned with virustotal.com.
    I tried 1.37 on vxid/mp3:
    Video : 63 MB, 892 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 640*272 (Unknown), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4
    Audio : 9.15 MB, 128 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, CBR,
    and got:

Video : 64 MB, 901 Kbps, 47.952 fps, 640*272 (Unknown), mp4v = Apple QuickTime MPEG-4 native
    Audio : 9.15 MB, 128 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x55 = MPEG Layer-3, CBR

in a .avi file.
    So it looks like the audio parts works, but not the video.

Tried 1.41 on xvid/mp3 and got:

Video : Divx4
    Audio : AAC
    and it ended up in a .mkv container

I compiled and tried 1.41 MP3 version on xvid/mp3 and got:
    Video : Divx4
    Audio : MP3
    and it ended up in a .mkv container

Is there any way to get/mod version 1.41 to input xvid/mp3 in .avi and get as output preferably the same or if not, DivX5/mp3 in .avi file??

Either of those would work for me.

The title of this thread is "Normalizing Audio for Multiple AVI files" so I assumed to get AVI files as output by default, but I get .mkv files instead even when not selecting "force mkv".

Would someone PLEASE help me with the video stream and avi container issues.
    Last edited by fonzo; 5th Sep 2013 at 13:54. Reason: video stream and container (mkv) issues
    Quote Quote  
  8. where can i get the gui front end, the link in the very first post no longer works,

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm releasing a new version of AVI Gain...I may have already done a v0.95 release in the past...but if so..oh well as I'm releasing this as v0.95

So whats this build all about:
    This is only for AVI's and will only create AVI's
    All audio is encoded to MP3 even if it was already. The reason is its not using Replay Gain tags...but adjusting the volume like Video Gain.
    Now unpacks Mpeg4 video streams, as requested.
    Now tries to insure Encoder FourCC tag is used rather than general FourCC tag
    Now tries to insure proper FPS in video (actually broken in FFmpeg)
    Now uses random string names for exported streams to help prevent File system locking do to heavy fragmentation of the MFT.

This doesn't handle Subtitles, or encoding of video streams.
    Last edited by Nologic; 6th Oct 2013 at 06:17.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Would you please tell how this release works? i.e. how volume increase is calculated, if it can be changed, is it supposed to level high and low volume areas of audio track?

I tried looking at the code, but my programming skills must be more rusty than I thought, although I never did script programming or programming for audio and video conversion so I'm unfamiliar with the syntax and principles used.

This is the section I was mainly wondering about. (Lines 331-381), especially the uses of ffmpeg.

Thank you for your time, patience, and for this special version.
    Last edited by fonzo; 24th Sep 2013 at 23:38.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi fonzo,

This doesn't tweak high/low volume area's...this adjusts the whole of the audio stream. It assumes that original audio stream was properly mastered...but that the over all volume may not match other media. So this is meant to make all media that contains an audio stream have the same volume over all. That way you can jump from watching one movie to another without having to adjust your volume.

Sure the baseline volume/gain can be changed...but why? As is if you want it louder just turn up the volume on your device. Raising it to high can cause clipping...which is well bad. I personally would rather hear what was intended...rather than my speakers tweaking out because sounds have gone out of range.

Do you really want to know what is going on in those lines of code...or do you want a simple answer?

I'll give you the simple answer. You'll notice in the current build that line 371 is commented out with a semicolon...you'll notice that line 374 is damn near the same thing...but that it's not commented out.

374 is suppose to mimic the suggested default for Replay Gain (-18).
    371 is suppose to mimic the suggested default for EBU R128 (-23).

R128 is slightly more quite than Replay Gain.

So you could ether comment out line 374 and add in your own new line...or edit 374 to the value that you want:

Code:
    $LUFS = (-14) - ($Array_LUFS[UBound( $Array_LUFS ) - 1])
    Or the like.

Really I should have this defaulted to R128 since it was Europe that came up with a standard...Replay Gain is a standard as well...but a suggested one...where R128 is being used across the board in Europe...USA is suppose to being coming up with our own...but I certainly won't follow it. I'm still annoyed with the whole PAL NTSC bullshit from past decades...but anyways...I'd suggest just sticking with the defaults...or enabling R128 and disabling Replay Gain...then just turning up your device volume to what makes you happy.

Trying to get the most volume out of a audio stream is foolish...as you are likely to end up with something you are not happy with in the end. So if your device doesn't get loud enough...then I'd suggest buying an AMP.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I really was very interested in what those lines of code do, but maybe that answer would be too long. That temp file with all the sample values really puzzled me.
    Thanks though for giving a reply.
    The .avi files I get usually have VERY low volume. So you crank the amp up and get hissing, and then get blown out of the room when you have it cranked to hear voices and then gunfire or a car chase happens.
    So, I'm more concerned with the one movie I am watching rather than movie after movie.
    I didn't mess with it much, but found that level.exe seems to help with this problem, but figure this is probably not the optimal solution.
    If you break the 2 streams apart, and are dealing with an mp3 audio stream, what would be the best approach for me considering what you now know about what I'm dealing with and trying to do?
    Thanks very much in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the voice's are really low with a extreme contrast with stuff like gun fire or music...chances are that the original AC3 audio stream wasn't converted correctly to MP3/AAC/... as the channels typically used for voice in AC3 are lower for god knows what reason than the rest of the channels.

These app's will in general will increase the volume in the audio stream...but it's across the board...it doesn't do compression...which is probably your best hope for getting something...somewhere close...still won't be right...but closer.

So in your case I'd suggest using one of Soopafreshes batch scripts...at the start of the thread...I think the one labeled something like SoopaLoud is the right one for you.

Really you should probably find a different source for your videos...my thoughts anyways.

That temp file just holds the analysis of a audio stream to figure out what it's over all volume level is...I use that to figure out how to adjust the volume...ether up or down and by how much.

I'll think about explaining those lines of code...not that there is much to them...just got more pressing matters right now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the reply. The avi files used to be fine, but somewhere back, maybe a year ago, the volume of them dropped considerably, then they mostly disappeared altogether. TV shows and other stuff can be nearly impossible to hear without audio increase of some type. Even the mp4 files now many times are very low. The AC3s are the worst. Both tick me off since you have to convert them to play them in a dvd player.
    Yeah, I know, get a media center or raspberry or something...... if you have the money and space and want to leave stuff running 24/7 I guess that's ok.
    I don't and I like the upconversion of the dvd player and it uses flash drives and memory cards and is simple. So, I have to find ways to work with that.

I'm still interested in the code when you get some time.

Thanks for all your help and advice.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by Nologic; 3rd Oct 2013 at 04:00.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This version will NOT create AVI containers at present.

Please don't use Direct replace right now...a lot of code has changed and maybe broken.

v1.44
    ==================================
    Fixed issue with MPEG4Modifier not creating a new file
    Fixed issue with Random String Names

v1.43
    Updated FFMpeg
    Updated MKVToolsNix
    Updated QAAC
    Removed PSKill
    Unpack Mpeg4 Video Streams
    Preserve FourCC Tag on Video Stream Copy
    Insure proper FPS in video Stream
    Use random string names to help prevent File System locking Files
    Some code refactor
    Dumbed down Progress Dialog (for now)

v1.42
    Fixed possible race codition with PSKill
    Fixed possible lock on file copy\move
    Fixed some issues with SRT subtitles
    Some code refactor
    Made Subtitles SRT format only (for now)
    Added Stripping of SRT text blocks with Ban Words file
    Updated QAAC
    Updated FFMpeg
    Last edited by Nologic; 9th Oct 2013 at 16:18.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Gain - Update to fix an issue with MPEG4Modifier not always creating a file.
    Last edited by Nologic; 9th Oct 2013 at 16:47.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    1.37 still the best. Why it was necessary to reduce or remove functionality support AVI to another program? And most importantly - now conversion is inevitable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks @nologic by posting updates, I will do tests here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ Art Blos -

AVI Gain is actually the start of this whole thread, granted in the form of Batch Scripts done by SoopaFresh, which I later made a GUI to do the same things (largely).

VideoGain is a fork of my version of AVI Gain...since it did more than just AVI's. The current version of VideoGain can still do AVI with some tweaks to the code...the main issue is that I haven't added in GUI elements to support both AAC & MP3 encoding.

In a future version I'll likely add back the option of adjusting gain by Meta Tags, like what is done with AAC/MP3 Gain. However such Meta Tags are not universally supported...hence adjusting volume during encode.

With luck in the next version or two, you'll be happy again with the direction of VideoGain...but that all depends on what bugs are found & fixed...as well as what features I end up adding...and the amount of time I put into this hobbyware.

@ Belini -

Thanks, let me know what you find.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    v1.45
    Fixed issue with Processing Files in Complete folder
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Nologic; 9th Oct 2013 at 16:49.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Does anyone know if the "level.exe" program used by the soopaloud batch script is actually the dos part from the program named "levelator"?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Given that it lists v1.2 as it's current version and "The Conversations Network" doesn't list a public version matching that...I'd say no.

It says it was created by "singular productions"...I found it some time back...don't recall where...it was back when I first started toying with this stuff.

You could probably use WaveGain or Volumax...both are over at Rarewares.

You can also use FFMpeg or Sox for this...or hundreds of others.

Anyways is that app not working for you...or just looking for an updated version?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I was just looking for an updated version since the date on the one used is 2006 and I thought there might be some type of improvements.
    The Levelator has versions listed in this link: http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator-change-history
    As far as their site says, Levelator is free.
    I couldn't find "level.exe" anywhere except on a forum talking about Levelator having a non-gui level.exe program.

No big deal, just was looking to see if an update of it was available since I like the way it works.

I do have 1 question. Why does soopaload.bat use normalize.exe before applying level.exe instead of only using level.exe?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I honestly don't recall...my best guess is that normalize.exe does sound compression thus changing the wave form...making nearly all things equally load...then level.exe applies gain to it....thus upping the volume.

It's been a few years since I toyed with the original batch scripts...and like you I went looking for software updates...one thing lead to another...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    What is "Banned Words"? The program will not normalize rips from torrents? You can remove this dirty trick?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay I'm going to chalk up your phrasing of stuff to your english being rough...and not you actually trying to piss me off.

If you look further up the thread you'll notice the change log for v1.42 which talks about SRT subtitles and removing chunks of text based on what is listed in the banned words text file.

If you don't want to use this feature...you can do one of two things...remove the text that's inside the file...or delete the file all together.

There is no dirty tricks here, everything is out in the open.

If you don't trust me, fine delete my executable...read through the source code...then when you see all is well...compile it your self.

I must say it does rub me the wrong way, when I get called into question...even though I include source code....

Out side of Belini I haven't seen anyone make use of it...and my motives are called into question even without code review...

Anyways just delete the damn file & be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    No one hurt or anger I did not want to. As for the English - "Google Translate" translate a wry. I could go on write in Russian. Only you from this will not be easier.

PS Я не знаю, что Вы сделали с программой (я не программист), но скажу честно (ПО-РУССКИ, заметьте) - программа определённо стала хуже. Мне повезло, что я попал на версию 1.37 и некоторое время я ей с успехом пользовался. Нынешние же версии не смогли справиться ни с одним файлом, в отличии от 1.37.
    Last edited by Art Blos; 11th Oct 2013 at 16:16.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hehe if it's in Russian it gives me an excuse to get my neighbor's daughter to come over and translate...the sexy little thing that she is.

Course I don't think he'd let me get away with that...I'm 10 years her senior at least.

Anyways I got a large update coming up...once all the stuff is in...I'll look at what changed post v1.37 and see if I can spot what changed that may have effected what you are trying to do.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Can I make a few requests/suggestions for new version?

Make 2 check boxes "preserve video stream(codec)" and "preserve audio stream(codec)" or something similar

Make a check box for "force avi 'container'" since you now use multiple containers

Some option to convert/re-encode audio stream TO mp3 if not already

Some way to end up with divx5/xvid as the video codec if "preserve codec" wouldn't give you that.

Some way to "normalize" loud car chases to spoken voices.

Some way...dropdown box? to select overall file volume increase using a dB scale 0-10 default at 0 which would automagically detect if the requested dB increase would cause clipping and distortion during analysis and then autoreset dB gain to max value without incurring those problems.

Maybe it has this one already, but option to hardcode subtitles into the video stream. I'd guess doing this with .srt files would be do-able, but maybe too much to axe for with sub/idx files.

I know it's a lot, but after looking at the source code, most of these, for you, I believe would be easy to implement.
    I think most of these would benefit everyone and a couple would guarantee compatibility with dvd players which was the original aim at the start of this thread using the batch files.

Thanks for considering my suggestions.

Oh, I forgot one, an option to make your neighbor's daughter come over for a visit....
    Quote Quote