VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello

In the changelog for MPC I see the following comment:

- New capture format: dsm, in addition to the already existing avi, ogm (needs external muxer) and matroska formats

I can see how I can convert something to DSM (File > Utils > DSM Converter) but how does one convert to AVI? Is there an "AVI Converter" option just like for DSM? Or do I need some plugin for it?

Also, if I have already converted something to DSM, is there a way to get an AVI out of it? I think I can get the video and audio streams out of the DSM in raw format, but then how do I package them together in an AVI or some other more portable format? Or even convert them to MPEG2 for TiVo?

thank you

PS: not sure whether this thread should go in the conversion forums instead.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd suggest that you checkout graphedit.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anything simpler than graphedit that a mere mortal could understand and use?

Also, what is the changelog of MPC talking about saving to AVI? I can't figure out where that option is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I would assume it uses the system avi mux filter (that you would use with graphedit). Never captured anything with MPC though. Note we are talking (as per the changelog) about capturing here. According to the code though you would have a drop down list where:
    0 = avi
    1 = ogm
    2 = mkv
    3 = dsm

Not sure how ogm would work though since MPC doesn't include a filter and it doesn't come with windows.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I was trying to use for capturing and saving an mms stream. I know there are other apps that can do it, but I'm no big fan of installing more and more apps.

Anyway, under File > Utils > DSM Converter > Save As, I see the type dropdown but the only option seems to be DSM. Is it because MPC disabled the other options so that it pushes its own format or am I missing something that I would have to install (avi muxer?)

Btw, for ogm, the changelog says "ogm (needs external muxer)" - which doesn't mean much to me.
    Quote Quote