VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DISH Network DVR, I assume the model number is 625, at least that's whats on the front. Anywho, I want to transfer the recorded shows from the DVR to my PC and then burn a DVD. Can anyone hook me up with a how to so I can get this done. I thought 100 hours was a lot when I first got it, but I'm having to delete stuff so something else can record. Any help would be appreciated, but good help would be awesome.

If I need a more specific model number, just let me know.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no easy/feasable way of doing this, unless you get a tv card for your pc, and record directly from your cable box to your pc...
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a standalone DVD recorder.

Then just feed the audio/video from the DVR into the DVD Recorder and record in real time onto DVD.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    While it is technically possible to rip directly from the Dish DVR's hard drive, it is fraught with peril and not too many folks have actually made it work. And even if you manage to get that far, the video would still need post-processing and reformatting to burn to a DVD.

Your best bet is to get a capture card and do the DIGITAL-ANALOG-DIGITAL capture onto your PC. Edit the video and then burn a DVD.

I use a CANOPUS ADVC-100, SCENALAYZER capture program, VIRTUALDUB and AVISYNTH to edit, and TMPGEnc for encoding, DVD-Lab Pro for DVD mastering, and NERO for burning. SOunds like a lot of programs, but many are cheap, free, or (like NERO) you already have them.

THe results are worth the extra steps over an all-in-one solution (Premiere?).
    If you are not taking anti-aircraft fire
    you are probably not on target
    Quote Quote  
  6. OR use camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yahoo has some groups that answer your questions.

Quick answer is to use software called PVRExplorer to capture the shows directly off your PVR hard drive using a USB to IDE connection, which also has guides on Yahoo. The PVR hard drive uses Unix, I believe, but the PVRExplorer software will recognize the drive, Windows won't.

Problem is the video comes in a non-standard format, which I believe can be authored in it's native format and played on most current model DVD players. Once again, I believe there is a how to in one of the Yahoo groups.
    Quote Quote  
  8. As was said by others do what I do, Dishnetwork DVR to Pioneer DVD recorder.

The quality will be OK. Stay at 2 hours or so per DVD.

The Pioneer and some others have decent editing.

Get a DVD recorder with a hard drive to capture to if you will need to edit commercials, if a premium movie channel then you can Record direct to DVD.

625 would be a SD DVR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is certainly possible. When I had Dish Network I used to copy the streams of the UFC PPV's I ordered. The quality was identical to the broadcast.

The only pain in the ass about it was that I had to pull the HDD from the DVR everytime I wanted to do this. I drew up some plans for attaching a dual output from the HDD (one to the dvr m/b and one to an external usb board), but I never actually got around to doing it before I ditched Dish Network.

Anyhow, to accomplish this, what I did was.

Step 0) connect hdd to pc (either by usb or ide)
    Step 1) install ext2fds
    Step 2) start up dvr-dump to identify TS # you want
    Step 3) use dgindex to demux TS from hdd to m2v & mpa audio.
    Step 4) use ac3delay corrector to remove the delay from the mp2
    Step 5) patch the m2v file from 544x480 to 720x480 and to 3.5mbps
    Step 6) author to dvd

It's a royal pain in the ass, but I imagine if you had the motivation to make the special setup for the DVR HDD so you didn't have to pull it every time it would probabaly be worthwhile.

Quote Quote  
  10. With a $20 USB to IDE convertor, you pull the IDE cable on the PVR motherboard and use a gender changer IDE cable to plug both the PVR hard drive (still in place) and the convertor to it. Only requires pulling the cover off the case. Plug in the USB connection, fire up PVRExplorer (free) and pull files off the PVR. I use this method. Works great. No conversion (quality loss) to go through, and it is light years faster than my old capture via ATI ALL IN WONDER setup (and much smaller MPEG files than I was capturing thru ATI card setup).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Allright. Thanks for the help and diffrent options.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bschmiduk
    While it is technically possible to rip directly from the Dish DVR's hard drive, it is fraught with peril and not too many folks have actually made it work. And even if you manage to get that far, the video would still need post-processing and reformatting to burn to a DVD.

Your best bet is to get a capture card and do the DIGITAL-ANALOG-DIGITAL capture onto your PC. Edit the video and then burn a DVD.

I use a CANOPUS ADVC-100, SCENALAYZER capture program, VIRTUALDUB and AVISYNTH to edit, and TMPGEnc for encoding, DVD-Lab Pro for DVD mastering, and NERO for burning. SOunds like a lot of programs, but many are cheap, free, or (like NERO) you already have them.

THe results are worth the extra steps over an all-in-one solution (Premiere?).
    Are you going from your Dish box a/v out to your canopus? I have an ADS Pyro, and was thinking about trying to capture from my dishtv/dvr. Any hints would be appreciated... I'm going to capture with Adobe PRemiere and save some steps...
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    hey welcome to videohelp (I'm the one who told you to go here..wink wink..nudge nudge)

If you want to go the IDE to usb route let me know and we can rig it up. It sounds like the capture card route really would take more time than it's worth. If you have 100 hours on the DVR then it will take you an additional 100 hours just to capture it. Then you'd still have to burn to dvd.

Doing it the other way you could copy/convert/burn in much less time.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Harvey1995Z28,

I convert stuff from a Dishnetwork PVR-508 all the time. I use a Canopus ADVC-55 fed via S-Video. Once capped to an AVI file, I open the file in VirtualDub and do my filtering of logos, noise etc, then encode with CCE Basic. The final DVD looks a bit better than the original in most cases.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ^^^

What Barnabas said.

(1) DishTV 508 S-video and audio feed to my ADVC-100, captured with SCENALYZER live to an avi file. (One hour of video = about 14GB of hard disk space)

(2) Find the commercial break points in VirtualDub (stubby pencil).

(3) Write a short AVS script for AVISYNTH - edit the commercials and any de-noising or correction needed.

(4) Open the AVISYNTH script in TMPEG Plus and convert the avi to MPEG2 and MP2 elemental streams. (Usually half D1 - 352x480, 2 pass VBR - I shoot for 2750-3000 b/s - good enough for most television unless there is a lot of action)

(5) Use those streams to make a DVD in DVDLab Pro.
    If you are not taking anti-aircraft fire
    you are probably not on target
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DVR 722 box which has TV1 and TV2 outputs. If you set the "mode" to single TV, it will drive the DVR signal to both TV1 and TV2 outputs. I have TV1 connected to a 1080p HD TV and TV2 connnected to a Go Video DVD recorder. Even if the recorded show on the DVR hard drive (internal or USB external) is originally recorded in HD, the TV2 output will step down the signal automatically to 480i resolution. Works like a champ.....
    Quote Quote  
  17. I've read through this whole thing, and it sounds pretty straight forward to me. But since I'm new at this particular branch of encoding/ripping etc let me see if I got it straight.

I'm using a DISH VIP 722 with Hard drive extension
    Sounds like all I need to do is

hook the Hard drive from the DVR to my PC
    Install a driver like ext2fds so the PC can read the new hard drive
    then just copy the files and encode them for DVD

That about cover it?
    Quote Quote  
  18. AFAIK that will only work for the MPEG2 HD and they're going away or for the SD channels.

I don't believe there has been much success with MPEG4 HD files.

As Krispy Kritter said do what I do if the source is HD I just feed it into a HDD equipped DVD recorder via the s-video and audio connections and record away.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started recording programs from my TV (dish network) using a dvd recorder (does not have a hard drive). I am pretty happy with the process, except that I am limited to a about 4 hour (or 6 hour low quality) pre-planned recording before I have to intervene and insert a blank DVD. For this reason I am thinking of the DVR from dish (with 100 hours of recording) but would like to really make sure that the process of taking the recording from the DVR to a disc is not a pain in the a**. From what I read in this thread (started couple of years back!) , it does not seem to be straightforward. Is it still the case, or is it quite easy today? I understand the DVRs from dish have a USB slot - what for - to transfer the recorded material? Or is a dvd recorder with a hard drive a much better option? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Actually it is getting harder from my understanding of it.

Realtime. Play the video and record in the recorder. A lot of what used to work now doesn't work for the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If realtime playback from the DVR and (re)recording it using the DVDR is the easiest straightforward option as of today, I will probably stay away from the DVR purchase for now. It is a little hassle...I think.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please let me through a twist into this discussion. I had dishnetwork and moved some of my movies over to a USB external HD, using the system in the dishnetwork receiver/DVR. I have dropped dish and have had to sent the equipment back to them.
    So I still have the stuff recorded on the external USB HD. Is there a way to burn the movies on a DVD that will be usable in a standard DVD player?
    Thanks for any help.
    Quote Quote  
  23. That sounds like a VIP622/Vip722/VIP612 DVR.

AFAIK the files are encrypted and can not be played except through a DVR that has the same Household key and subscription.

Once they are on the EHD they'll play on receivers on our account, However as I understand it they won't play if you were to take them your buddies house as it is a diferent account and encryption key.

You can doublecheck me with more / better info at
    www.dbstalk.com or satelliteguys.us
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you it sounds like I will not be able to get the movies off of the USB HD.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by pannayar
    I started recording programs from my TV (dish network) using a dvd recorder (does not have a hard drive). I am pretty happy with the process, except that I am limited to a about 4 hour (or 6 hour low quality) pre-planned recording before I have to intervene and insert a blank DVD. For this reason I am thinking of the DVR from dish (with 100 hours of recording) but would like to really make sure that the process of taking the recording from the DVR to a disc is not a pain in the a**. From what I read in this thread (started couple of years back!) , it does not seem to be straightforward. Is it still the case, or is it quite easy today? I understand the DVRs from dish have a USB slot - what for - to transfer the recorded material? Or is a dvd recorder with a hard drive a much better option? Thanks!
    Spring for the DVD recorder with a hard drive in it. Then you can record, edit burn and keep the quality. As an example I recorded the opening ceremonies at the 2 hour per disc speed from basic cable NBC HD via the QAM tuner in the DVD recorder. I edited out the commercials then I then split it into two parts and burned it onto two discs for better quality. I recorded from the HD channel to get the DVD as Widescreen even though DVDs are not HD. That gave me the best source for a SD DVD. If I had an antenna I could have used the OTA NBC signal instead. Impossible to do with a non Hard drive recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for asking this again (kind of). My cousin (who too is with dish network) mentioned to me that he can pay a one time fee of about $40 to enable getting the recorded material out of the DVR, and then backup to a DVD. Since he has not done it, I am skeptical that it would be doable, it is likely that may be you can pull the data out from the DVR but not easy to burn it to a DVD complaint disc? Any users that have paid the 1 time fee, can you please shed some light on what can be done with it? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  27. You can move the video to the External drive and play it from there or move it back to the DVR later. Notice I said Move not copy. it can exist on one or the other not both.

It will only play on the DVR BTW.

The file is encrypted and AFAIK no-one has been able to extract any usable video off of the external drive.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all. I have a Dish 622 with the USB port activated. I got an external hard drive and have reformatted using the Dish tool. I can save disj programing to it without issue.

I also want to be able to rip my kids movies (mp4) and place them on the drive so they can Video on Demand them. Seems the kids just cant put away the disks.

I ripped several of the movies but the dish receiver just doesn’t see them. I know there is a trick but I have no idea what it is… Help anyone???????

Thanks,
    K Foster
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1st Remember you can't Cheat the system and get the same Quality movies you get when you purchase a movie on DVD! If you want top quality then buy the dang movie.
    BUT- since the world looks like it's about to go total anarchy I want to back up what I record from Dishnetwork. I have a sure-fire approach to making DVD's of Dishnetwork movies. I bought a Magnavox dvd/vhs recorder player zv427ng4 from Walmart for $169. I route the red, white, yellow cables from the Dish DVR to the IN on the recorder then out the HDMI port on the Magnavox recorder to the TV. Watch a live broadcast or play a movie on the recorder and record a DVD everything goes through the Magnavox All the Time.
    I also use the white and red audio out cables on the Magnavox recorder to a home theater audio system. Been doing it for over a year and have almost 700 movies. The audio is not quite the same quality as the original and it won't allow you to record rented video's. Also I paid the $38 to dish to hook up an external drive on the USB port. I filled up an Iomega 500GB drive then bought an Iomega 2TB external drive and filled it up so I bought another. The only drawback to the 2TB drive is that it takes a few minutes to see the contents on the menus. The best hint is to sort the recordings on the DVR alpha-numeric before you try to access the recordings on the 2TB external drive. I have so many movies I use my word processor to create and print a table with all the movies I recorded so I can look at it before burning a DVD. 100 DVD's at Walmart are only $35 and paper covers 100 to a box there as well.
    Let me know if you have any questions
    OKMatthew
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by okmatthew View Post
    Let me know if you have any questions
    OKMatthew
    I have one. What kind of person digs up a 5 year old thread to give the same exact answer that was given 5 years ago?
    Quote Quote