VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to create a list of compatible USB Flash/Memory Keys for the 5960. It took me a long time to find one that worked. Unfortunately I didn't keep a list of all the incompatible ones...

I'll start it off with:

Transcend JetFlash 120 4GB

As an aside all Corsair Flash Voyager keys do not work on the 5960. I have several and all are not supported. I think it's because the corsair keys draw a lot of power and the port on the 5960 has a very low power output...

So anyone with a compatible USB Flash/Memory Key please list it here.

Thanks

P.S. If possible, please avoid listing external hard drives. The other 5960 and USB topic has quite a lot of information on external drives... Keys only, thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OCZ Rally 1GB works.

The Kingston U3 DataTraveler Smart USB Flash drive (2GB) also works (they make a lot of other DataTraveler models, I don't know about them). I bought one of these before I got the 5960 and had already removed the U3 crap before I tried it in the 5960 (I bought it because it was very cheap on sale at Circuit City, NOT for the U3 "feature"). Fortunately there is a program to remove U3 from USB drives at U3.com/uninstall which works very well. I am just about certain that U3 would prevent any drive from working with a 5960. I also formatted the DataTraveler to FAT32. With these modifications there are no problems using it with the 5960 .

I recently bought the same Transcend model you refer to above to get the extra capacity and it works very well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, and the list has begun. I'm going to host a page with an updated list on my website! I have finally found a use for it! Once it's up I'll post a link to the page and try to keep it updated...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My "Dazzle Universal 10-in-1 Memory Card Reader/Writer" from radioshack works with pictures, I have yet to try a video because the memory card I have is only 16mb but feel free to add that one because it does power off the USB 1.1 and plays the jpegs nice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by phunkyfish
    I'd like to create a list of compatible USB Flash/Memory Keys for the 5960. It took me a long time to find one that worked. Unfortunately I didn't keep a list of all the incompatible ones...
    I have a strong hunch that you will find that what works for some doesn't work at all for others -- that there is much variation from unit to unit on this model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Memorex Travel Drive U3 1GB mini-drives work great ... no problems at all ... I bought them at Best Buy on sale.

I have another one coming my way ... bought on Ebay also.

I haven't paid for it yet ... when it arrives and I get it set up ... I will let you know how well it works with the Memorex Travel Drive U3 1GB mini-drives.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldAmateur
    Originally Posted by phunkyfish
    I have a strong hunch that you will find that what works for some doesn't work at all for others -- that there is much variation from unit to unit on this model.
    That is better than nothing, isn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldAmateur
    From reading posts around the NET I've noticed then even models from different continents seems to work/not work similarly with USB Keys.

From now on could everyone also post the version of 5960 they have i.e. 5960/12 or 5960/37 etc. I have a 5960/12 and a 5960/37...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will be testing: (all on sale for black friday at bestbuy)

SanDisk Cruzer Micro 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - $30
    PNY Attaché 1GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - $15
    Western Digital 60GB Passport II Portable Hard Drive - $49.99
    Western Digital My Book Essential 250GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive - $69.99
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great, the usb drives and the portable disks would be great. The external disk will work anyway, but that's a different atory...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I could only score 1 item which was the 2gb SanDisk Micro.

I will test that and my MobiBLU mp3 player and I will also test my PSP.

Will edit with results.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guys i would be very interested to know if anybody has tested the other transcend drives, specifically the 130, 160 and v20....?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Currently the only one I have a record of is the Transcend JetFlash 120. It's description does say it's driverless. You could guess that any other transcend drive that's driverless might also work but I could not guaranty it...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pny Attache 1 gig works fine
    preformated as fat
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    phunkyfish, what do you mean by "compatible"? If the DVD player can recognize the drive, it's compatible?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grokus
    phunkyfish, what do you mean by "compatible"? If the DVD player can recognize the drive, it's compatible?
    Exactly, a lot of flash drives don't seem to work on the player, i.e. not recognized. So if you can play a movie off yours then it's compatible!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I tried this one last night and it worked.

ACP-EP Memory 2GB Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Mini Flash Drive

I'm still puzzled how much more $ per unit it would cost Philips to build the 5960 if it went with USB 2.0, considering how much trouble it has cost all of us!?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EDIT: ***DELETED EARLIER RANT (I appologize for my frustration)***

Both drives I tried worked (with great effort and reformatting):

SMARTDISK FIRELITE 80GB harddrive
    and
    MAXTOR 3100 100 GB

Note the FIRELITE only worked if you used the external power cord that comes with it (plugs into a mouse/keyboard jack).

If only I had read this fourm before my efforts...But, as has already been stated (EXCEPT FOR IN THE $^#&*$^*#&^$ OWNERS MANUAL), you must follow the three golden rules:
    Must be FAT32
    Must be Primary Partition (twice guy here got me TWICE)
    Must have external power source

One further note...The Maxtor does seem to start to stutter on some large files...If I pause the program, the hard drive light keeps going for a second (catching up?), and then goes out...Then I push play again and it works fine...At least for a while. I just discovered the FIRELITE works, so I have yet to see how it performs.

Thank you guys for doing what FREAKING Philips didn't and figuring out what works on this machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sandisk Cruzer Micro U3 4GB (with retractable USB) works great !
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These work fine for me.

SimpleTech 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    Kingston 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    ACP-EP 2GB USB Flash Drive

On second thought, maybe it's more useful to compile a Flash Drive to avoid thread?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grokus
    These work fine for me.

SimpleTech 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    Kingston 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
    ACP-EP 2GB USB Flash Drive

On second thought, maybe it's more useful to compile a Flash Drive to avoid thread?
    I've made a start on a DVP-5960 page:

http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012

I had it formatted correctly and for some reason textpattern has seen fit to remove my formatting and put in it's own... Hopefully it'll start to look a little better once I figure out how to stop textpattern changing my code...

Page contain hints and tips, rules for using a External HDD, flash drive compatibility list and firmware mods...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Very nice! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made a start on a DVP-5960 page
    Nice work, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No problem! I've got the formatting sorted and you should also be able to leave comments.

So any updates let me know!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WD 120GB Digital Passport works like a charm.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got the DVP5960/37.

Emprex 2gb works great
    Sandisk Cruzer Micro U3 1gb works great.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dane-Elec 2GB works.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vbslim
    preformated as fat
    There are at least two models of the Attache 1GB:

P-FD01GU20-RF has U3 preinstalled, and is FAT32 formatted
    P-FD01GU3-RF does not have U3 installed.

I just bought the first one at Best Buy ($19.95 w/ inst. rebate).
    So I immediately downloaded the U3 uninstall utility and ran it - it never reached completion. I waited 10 minutes while the progress bar kept bouncing across, processor was idle, and the two processes (U3uninstall, and U3-something else) were on the process list but not taking any processor time. I shut down both these processes and ran it again. Same result. BTW it did find the right drive letter in both cases. In both cases I noticed it froze up right after it brought up an explorer window looking at a folder on the stick that had a program called something like u3launcher.exe (or similar). So the second time, I helped it out a little and manually deleted that program.

After the second round the stick seemed to be fine. U3 was nowhere to be found and I could write and read from the stick. There was 6 MB of unknown stuff on the stick and I was afraid to delete it. So I went ahead and used the disk manager in XP to reformat (quick format) the stick to FAT32. That seemed to go fine and (of course) removed the mystery 6 MB.

Perhaps the moral of the story is I should have just done the FAT32 re-format right up front?? I don't know. When U3 was active it showed the stick as TWO drive letters in explorer. That at least stopped after I ran the U3 uninstall thing (before the reformat).

There is confusion at Best Buy about the two versions of the stick. Their web site says the one without U3 is on sale for the price I paid but the store didn't have it and said they rarely get any USB sticks without U3 anymore. I bet the hardware is identical -- the only difference is they pre-load the U3 stuff on the one model.

The stick seems to play DivX pretty well in my 5960 based on just three test clips. Two of the clips are identical 45 minute clips except I used mpeg4modifier to remove the packed bitstreams from one of them. I couldn't tell any difference in the playback. There is a close-up of a spoked wagon wheel rolling across the screen and it showed just a barely noticeable amount of hesitation (not objectionable) compared to the original mpeg2 source. However this may be an interlace artifact, i.e., not the fault of the USB connection.

My 5960 has the older firmware (37.06.42.18 ) and I'm kind of reluctant to upgrade until I see a definite problem. I have both the official Philips version of 42.29 (the latest) and the "fixed" one too, ready to go if I need them.

My overall belief is we can't really count on the USB for playback until they make it USB 2.0, but it's nice to be able to do quick previews that way without having to burn to DVD. And if the USB ever does become viable, my long term approach will be a USB HD, not a memory stick.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dlflannery
    Originally Posted by vbslim
    preformated as fat
    There are at least two models of the Attache 1GB:

P-FD01GU20-RF has U3 preinstalled, and is FAT32 formatted
    P-FD01GU3-RF does not have U3 installed.

I just bought the first one at Best Buy ($19.95 w/ inst. rebate).
    So I immediately downloaded the U3 uninstall utility and ran it - it never reached completion. I waited 10 minutes while the progress bar kept bouncing across, processor was idle, and the two processes (U3uninstall, and U3-something else) were on the process list but not taking any processor time. I shut down both these processes and ran it again. Same result. BTW it did find the right drive letter in both cases. In both cases I noticed it froze up right after it brought up an explorer window looking at a folder on the stick that had a program called something like u3launcher.exe (or similar). So the second time, I helped it out a little and manually deleted that program.

After the second round the stick seemed to be fine. U3 was nowhere to be found and I could write and read from the stick. There was 6 MB of unknown stuff on the stick and I was afraid to delete it. So I went ahead and used the disk manager in XP to reformat (quick format) the stick to FAT32. That seemed to go fine and (of course) removed the mystery 6 MB.

Perhaps the moral of the story is I should have just done the FAT32 re-format right up front?? I don't know. When U3 was active it showed the stick as TWO drive letters in explorer. That at least stopped after I ran the U3 uninstall thing (before the reformat).

There is confusion at Best Buy about the two versions of the stick. Their web site says the one without U3 is on sale for the price I paid but the store didn't have it and said they rarely get any USB sticks without U3 anymore. I bet the hardware is identical -- the only difference is they pre-load the U3 stuff on the one model.

The stick seems to play DivX pretty well in my 5960 based on just three test clips. Two of the clips are identical 45 minute clips except I used mpeg4modifier to remove the packed bitstreams from one of them. I couldn't tell any difference in the playback. There is a close-up of a spoked wagon wheel rolling across the screen and it showed just a barely noticeable amount of hesitation (not objectionable) compared to the original mpeg2 source. However this may be an interlace artifact, i.e., not the fault of the USB connection.

My 5960 has the older firmware (37.06.42.18 ) and I'm kind of reluctant to upgrade until I see a definite problem. I have both the official Philips version of 42.29 (the latest) and the "fixed" one too, ready to go if I need them.

My overall belief is we can't really count on the USB for playback until they make it USB 2.0, but it's nice to be able to do quick previews that way without having to burn to DVD. And if the USB ever does become viable, my long term approach will be a USB HD, not a memory stick.
    Yes, format with fat32 up front. I have a hard disk connected to my 5960. I still get occasional stuttering but only like you do with the wagon. Also the player doesn't like snow at all. Snow will cause it to stutter whether or not it's on a DVD or over a USB connection. If you want to upgrade your firmware try the links on my page: http://www.phunkyfish.com/article/4/philips-dvp-596012. Any of the latest firmwares with Packed Bitstream support would do. Note that the firmwares have been modded to include extra features... I'd recommend the Wireless2104 ones...
    Quote Quote  
  30. Well, I'll add that the foto source USB2.0Plus 1GB (made by Shikatronics) drive works fine
    Quote Quote