VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I am trying to play my DivX movies on my Samsung DVD player and I have burned Arabic subtitles with them. My DVD player supports subtitles but the problem is that the Arabic subtitles appear in strange charcters.
    I've read the user manual for my system and I changed the language of subtitles to Arabic (I inserted my country code as shown in the manual) but the problem remains.
    I don't know what does this mean, does it mean that my DVD player doesn't support Arabic subtitles (text)?! If this is the case, then what's the use of changing the subtitles langauge as shown in the manual (note that the Arabic language was not in the main languages list, but I had to choose Others from the list the entered a code shown in the manual for Arabic).

My system is a home theater system and the model is: Smasung HT-TP33
    Here is a link if you need it:http://www.samsung.com/me/products/audiosystem/hometheatresystem/ht_tp33.asp
    Another note is that the user manual it self is in Arabic and I've bought it from the region.

Please guys, help will be appreciated here !
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As DVD subs are basically all pre-encoded as pictures, there's not much you can do about it. Your player is just playing the pictures overlayed on top of the video, it doesn't care what language is--it could be Klingon or Sindarin Elvish for all the player knows--just pictures.

The problem lies with the company that authored the disc(s) and the system(s) they authored them on. They could have had font/keyboard mismatches and may not be fluent enough (or computer-savvy enough) to be able to fix it.

Or,

Could be a different enough dialect?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It MAY (or may not - don't know) mean that your player doesn't support Arabic subtitles for Divx. My Philips DVP-642 will play any subtitles on DVD, but it ONLY supports Latin and Cyrillic character sets for Divx subtitles. If your Samsung has a similar limitation, that's why they aren't working. Finally, it might be that your player only supports Arabic subtitles in certain code sets. For example, my Philips doesn't support Cyrillic subtitles for Divx unless they are in (I think) CP-1251 and some really obscure other code page for Cyrillic that I never heard of before. A lot of people try to do subtitles in Unicode and I don't know of any DVD players that understand Unicode for multi-byte character sets.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for your answers !

Well I tried somthing and I don't know if this would help you finding me a solution for my problem. I tried opening the subtitle file (.*srt) on my PC using notepad and the Arabic subtitles just appeared in the same strange characters as they appeared on my DVD player !! I changed the font to one that supports Arabic and they remained the same. I don't get this, playing these subtitles on my PC along with my DivX movies using some program (DivX Subtitle Displayer for example) is just fine, I just change the font and they appear correctly. English subtitles opened using notepad appeared correctly.

I don't know guys, but I need help here.
    Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Boabed:

i had the same problem and after a hard work i came up with a long solution

here are the instructions:
    1. Open the subtitle with "Microsoft Word"

2. change the encoding to "Arabic (Windows)"
    (this will convert the strange characters to the right Ar)

3. Select all and copy it to a new Word processing file (notepad or word file).

4. Close the already opend subtilte (word file).

5. Open the Subtilte again using notepad and paste the copied text over the existing.

6. go to "Save As" and:
    save as type: All files
    Encoding : Unicode

point to the name of the subtitle to override it with this new file

7. Enjoy your time with the right subtitle
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey sadeq:
    unfortuately, this didn't solve the problem.. i have the exact problem, (the only difference is that my dvd is LG not samsung, but the manual comes with arabic language, i bought it from egypt,....etc) and when i tried thiz -which seemed very good- my dvd didnt play subtitles at all... not even the rubbish (the un-unicoded characters) when i press the subtitle button, it's always showing "subtitles :OFF"... plz help!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All, Did any one really have a solution for this problem.
    I have LG Home Theater and i have the same problem as Taky. I bought it from Egypt also.
    They say that you should select the subtitle file at first by pressing on it from the menu in order to activate the subtitling, then choose the suitable characters during play back.
    That is what the manual says
    Taky, Did the solution that Sadeq gave you solve the problem or what ?

Please i need a help too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your LG home theater support VobSub subtitles?
    If yes, just convert your srt files to VobSub (sub/idx) format with SubtitleCreator and try them.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My LG supports every thing. However i tried srt and sub formats with my Divx (avi)files, it just give me those strange characters. I changed the language code as instructed in the manual but nothing happened.
    Quote Quote  
  10. manusse doesn't mean for you to try the text based SUB format subtitles, but the image or BMP based IDX/SUB format subs. If your player can display IDX/SUB subs, and if you can create them properly using SubtitleCreator, you should get subs.

One way to tell the difference is by the file size. Text based subs are usually only 1-200 KB in size for an entire movie, while IDX/SUB subs are several MB in size.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is fine, but i want to play my .avi files with their .srt or .sub subtitle files without any conversion.
    If i have to convert something, i would convert the avi file with its subtitle file to a DVD format using Cucusoft for example. But as you know, conversion means lossing quality !
    I just want to display the arabic language srt or sub files the easy way
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all,
    I have another problem with my dvd player, it cannot play the HD movie trailers that are in avi format. Does any one knows what is the max resolution that regular dvd player can play ?
    I know that there are HD-dvd players but i am talking about the normal models that are not HD players.
    How can i fix this problem ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. No way, you can never play HD content in a non HD enabled Set top player.
    আমি বাংলায় গান গাই
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is fine, but i want to play my .avi files with their .srt or .sub subtitle files without any conversion.
    Just to be clear. You can convert your srt (text) subtitles to sub/idx (bitmap) subtitles. This doesn't degrade the quality as the video is not modified and the subtitles are lossless compressed. So you won't lose quality. It will take you 1-2 minutes per subtitles and you will be able to watch your AVI files with subtitles in the correct font.

Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear manusse, thanx for your answer. Actually this program is great in case i would like to translate a DVD movie, but my case is trying to translate avi movie. Then what is the benefit from having a dvd player that can play Divx (avi) movies without conversion if i have to convert it to DVD movie format ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. As both manusse and I tried to explain (without success, I guess), the only thing you're converting is the subtitles. The AVI remains untouched. Nowhere was there any mention at all of any video conversion. In fact, he was careful to say in his last post that "This doesn't degrade the quality as the video is not modified ".

You'll still be playing the AVI, but with VobSubs (IDX/SUB) instead of SRT subs. This depends, of course, on your DVD/MPEG-4 player being able to play VobSubs.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I understand the point you both said, but i tried to use subtitle creator but it accepts only DVD files as input video files, not avi !!
    any comments ?
    Quote Quote  
  18. any comments ?

Yes. All you're doing is converting SRT subs to VobSubs. What do you care what kind of video it supports? You don't need to open any kind of video in there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    File -> Open text subtitles (to open your srt file)
    File -> Save VobSub as (to convert it to VobSub.

That's all.
    Takes 1-2 minutes
    Cheers
    Manusse
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for your help guys. Your solution seems really good.
    I found another solution, i used Sub2Divx that can convert the subtitle text file into Bitmaps and then mux them with the avi file to produce a Divx file. It is perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  21. would u please help me ..i have tried pressing the subtitle button in the remote ,but still the subtitle didnt appear ..can u tell me about the setting or the steps u do in sub2divx so i can make the subtitle appear.. now after the muxing and getting the divx file i burned it with nero ,,no subtitle showed up btw the subtitle is srt and my dixv player supports divx file and the srt format
    Quote Quote  
  22. i tried everything and the sub is not shown at all ,,i tried ntsc and pal ,,i put the vertical postion at 96 ,,i dont know what to do now ? i also burn the divx file with the subtitle file ,,doesnt work ? should i add the subtitle in nero or just the divx file by itself ? although i tried both and pressed the subtitle button in the remote and no use..the same problem is there ..can u guide me with the steps please ? by the way the sub file is written in arabic ,and the main reason im using sub2divx is to attach the subtitle written in arbic language while i dont have to use the program when i add the english subtitle coz the player can read it,and therefore i chose the lang arabic in the top bar in the sub2divx program ..any way im sorry for bothering u with this ,but i really hope i can find a solution..thx a lot
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    did you solve your problem or not yet....
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    srt subtitle never work with me, Then I have to use Vobsub (Idx & Sub), then I have no problem at all, but I still need my Philips to read srt. Philips can read English SRT. but not arabic,

srt extension save me a lot of work from converting srt to IDX...

I just forget to tell you that IDX is inside matroska file, but again it does not give the right border color, It give me blue border while I have coded black color, I try Ifo files to correct the color, then it change all to green , after that , I use to reset my Philips DVD, and accept blue border, it was better than all green (Border & font color)
    Last edited by rzainaddin; 19th Aug 2011 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sadeq View Post
    Hi Boabed:

i had the same problem and after a hard work i came up with a long solution

here are the instructions:
    1. Open the subtitle with "Microsoft Word"

2. change the encoding to "Arabic (Windows)"
    (this will convert the strange characters to the right Ar)

3. Select all and copy it to a new Word processing file (notepad or word file).

4. Close the already opend subtilte (word file).

5. Open the Subtilte again using notepad and paste the copied text over the existing.

6. go to "Save As" and:
    save as type: All files
    Encoding : Unicode

point to the name of the subtitle to override it with this new file

7. Enjoy your time with the right subtitle
    this works but i have another problem the timing of the subtitles is not correct with the talking in the film does anyone know how to solve thi problem,please and thank you in advance!!
    Quote Quote