VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi, new to the world of downloading movies and making dvd's.
    anyway ive downdoaded quite afew movies etc and used winavi video to convert them into dvd's,the end result plays 100% fine on pc,
    i then go to burn them onto dvd and seems to go well(i use img tool burn) but when i try them in dvd player the picture is good quality etc and sound fine but every few seconds there is a slight jump/freeze in picture.i tried different make dvd-r and also burning at slower speed,first one was burned at 4 x then i did it at 2x but still got same result
    any ideas???
    maybe software im using to burn?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would suspect WinAVI first. The program to burn doesn't normally have much bearing on that type of problem. It could be a media problem also. Try a program like ConvertXToDVD, it has a much better track record than WinAVI. And you might look into trying a different media brand if you run into this type of problem often.

BTW, I locked your other duplicate post. Please don't cross post. One post per subject is enough.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To me it sounds like the problem could be reversed field order... on a PC, or a progressive scan TV, you may not notice any problems, but when you see it on a conventional, interlaced TV set, it will show up. Solution? Take your source video and apply a field swap filter to it, use the results to encode with WinAVI...
    If you are combining several videos from different procedence into a single DVD, you may need to apply the field swap filter to some of them but not to others... and if any of them is a telecined movie, you may want to apply an inverse telecine filter to it...
    Or you may instead use a deinterlace filter for all as a quick solution...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hw do i deinterlace the video's i have then??what software do i need??
    i have tried burning another movie and results were same,they play 100% fine on laptop but not on my dvd player,it seems to freeze so jump every 3 0r 4 seconds,it happens so fast!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The easiest way would be to load the AVI file into one of the VirtualDub variants, select Video->Filters->Add, and look for the proper filter (field swap, deinterlace, etc.). Don't forget to set the video compression settings again! Otherwise, you'll be getting an uncompressed AVI file, which will be VERY big...
    Or you could just try a different encoding program that will allow you to indicate "top field first' o "bottom field first" when encoding your AVI to DVD... that way you won't need to re-encode a new AVI file.

But before you try that... have you played the resulting DVDs on your PC and noticed if the same problem is happening? If it does, then it may be a problem with the recording media.
    The "freeze"/ "jump" you mentioned... does it mean that, when a scene changes, you're seeing for an instant again a picture of the previous scene before it resumes? If so, that would confirm an incorrect field order.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    they play ok on pc just not on my dvd player
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, you answered just as I was editing my post. So, the next question is, the "freeze"/ "jump" you mentioned... does it mean that, when a scene changes, you're seeing for an instant again a picture of the previous scene before it resumes? If so, that would confirm an incorrect field order.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it maybe that,it happens so quick its hard to tell
    ive downloaded quite afew movies and tried two now,both ended the same.
    all i do is download the movie,covert using winavivideo then burn onto dvd using imgtool burn,not sure if i should maybe being doing something else???
    im in uk,maybe some setting i have wrong??
    im not that clued up with dvd as of yet,still in the learning process
    your help is appreciated
    you have any idea where im going wrong??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your description of it happening "so quick it's hard to tell" makes me believe more and more it's a field order problem. It should be more noticeable during scene changes, or in scenes with camera pans. So, try one of the options I mentioned. If you use virtualdub to reencode the AVI file, either swapping the field order or deinterlacing it, I suggest you try to keep the video quality as good as possible, you can keep the video uncompressed if you don't mind the size of the resulting AVI file (and delete it after you encoded it to DVD), or you could try using a DV codec or M-JPEG codec with the highest quality setting. If you use a different DVD encoder that will allow you to indicate the field order, you won't need to worry about the video quality, only about the resulting DVD encode.
    Quote Quote