VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Oh, so you know all about MaestroSBT? I remember a long time ago trying to use MaestroSBT generated SST files in Muxman also, but without luck. That's when I started going SON->IDX/SUB->SUP. Since I was already very familiar with that method, I got it to work pretty quickly once I got tired of trying to make SSTs work.

Yes, I was saving 16 color BMPs in PhotoFiltre. Uncompressed? Not so sure about that one. Lemme check my settings...

I don't see any setting for Uncompressed. Here's all it says in the "Action" Tab:
    Source folder : H:\SHANGHAI_EXPRESS\DialogPALBMP
    - 792 pictures

Output folder : H:\SHANGHAI_EXPRESS\DialogNTSCBMP
    - Output format : Bitmap (*.bmp)
    - 16 colors

Image size :
    - 720 x 478 pixels
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, there are no compression settings for BMPs from what I can see, only for JPEGs. Looking at the files saved from PhotoFiltre, they seem to be uncompressed, however. Let me compare to one generated by MaestroSBT... yes, they are exactly the same size.
    If you have had problems with other .sst files, it must have been for some other reason, then. No idea what, though. The hardest part of using .sst files, IMO, is getting the colors to match the ones of the original subtitles, but that's it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, like I said, it's probably something simple I've overlooked. I'll admit to user error, especially after you've said you've had no problems.

The hardest part of using .sst files, IMO, is getting the colors to match the ones of the original subtitles, but that's it.

And, of course, there are lots of ways these days to fix the wrong colored subs. You can export/import the original colors using either IFOEdit or PGCEdit. You can edit the CLUT in PGCEdit or DVDSubEdit. For me, editing the CLUT in PGCEdit is far and a way the easiest.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, it's a little more than that, the CLUT entries for the new subtitles have to match the ones for the original ones, or they'll look wrong (for example, yellow outline surrounding black characters instead of the other way around). Not sure if DVDSubEdit can do that, I just use SupViewer to check the original ones and edit the values in the .sst file to match them accordingly. I'm about to forget how I used to do it, it's been so long since last time...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Synch problem with audio is fixed, changed DVDFabDecrypter for DVDShrink and all is OK.

Was not GOP length, ran with 12 max and all is OK, thanks Manono for the tip.

DVDShrink - reauthor mode, select streams you want, rip with NO COMPRESSION
    PGCDemux - demux video, audio, subpics and create Celltimes.txt
    Excel (optional) - easy way to convert Celltimes * 29.97/25
    ffmpeggui (optional) - compress lesser audio streams to 128kbs (director's comments, etc.)
    BitrateCalc - input total movie length and total audio/subtitle size (see Fulcilive's guide)
    TMPGEnc - encode 720 X 480 25fps, MAX GOP 12 frames
    DGPullDown - convert 25 -> 29.97 fps
    Muxman - load video, audio, subpics and Celltimes file and reauthor DVD
    IfoEdit (optional) - use copy subtitles color from the original VOB's to restore original color (there is a guide for this)
    DVDSubedit - use to reposition subtitles, +87 pixels vertical works for me
    VLCmediaplayer (optional) - use to check final compilation before burning, works great
    BURN

Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thought of starting a new thread, don't know if manono, pinstripes23 or fulcilives are still reading this one, will try it first like this and if noone answers will start a new one...

Am still plugging away and have a small and hopefully simple issue:

When the m2v file is demuxed from the original VOB's using PGCDemux, the time/length of the file appears to be wrong.

How do I know this?

Two ways:

1) I load the m2v file into Womble MPEG video editor and it shows that the movie ends at, say 02:20:15, when in reality it is 01:55:10.

2) When the demuxed m2v file is reencoded in TMPGEnc, the new file has the movie with the correct length at the beginning but leaves a 00:19:55 blank space at the end.

The reason this is important is because this blank space is about 400MB and it steals away video bitrate which could be used to encode the "real" movie.

Just to clarify, it is not that the m2v file demuxed with PGCDemux has a blank space at the end. Only some time code seems to be altered, and not every movie I demux demonstrates this problem, only some and not always the same "extra length". Sometimes it is not off at all, sometimes as much as 30 minutes.

Can someone tell me what the problem is?
    Is there an issue with PGCDemux?

I may try DVD Decrypter to see if there is an improvement.

Does the m2v file have a timecode and is there a freeware program that can correct it?

Thanks again for your consideration you all, the converted PAL->NTSC DVD's with sub's and audio tracks are working great, just smoothing out the last kinks...

Have a great day, hope someone can help...

Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi-

Is there an issue with PGCDemux?

None that I know of. How are you getting the movie into TMPGEnc to encode? Make a D2V and from that an AviSynth script file. Open that in VDubMod and File->File Information to get the true length. I believe you can also open the M2V directly in VDubMod. I suspect it's a TMPGEnc problem. I don't use Womble, so I have no idea if it's correct with the length. Like I said, if you want the true length, make an AVS.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks, manono, was feeling a little lonely there.

Found a work-around, join all the ripped VOB's with VOBMERGE and load them in TMPGEnc that way. Eliminates time code problem and blank space (wasting precious bits) at the end of the movie.

Have been reading a lot of your posts and doom9 stuff as well, pretty impressive this whole conversion deal, I stand in awe.

Am thinking like FulciLives to makes this procedure 100% freeware, HC looks like a great encoder.

So, off to learn AVI Synth, does this mean I've joined the league of the hard-cores or only that I have too much time on my hands?

Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...does this mean I've joined the league of the hard-cores or only that I have too much time on my hands?

It means you care about quality and have some common sense.

Joining vobs and loading them into TMPGEnc shows the opposite.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tesede
    How to convert pal to ntsc convert ntsc to pal formats? there article will show you How to convert PAL to NTSC and convert NTSC to PAL formats.
    Trying to hock some payware eh....
    Not to mention it is prob. crapware & does not cover what the original 2 year old post is asking.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was just looking over this old thread and I dare say that I made myself laugh when I read this comment of mine:

Originally Posted by FulciLives
    A very long time ago (before I really understood the DVD authoring process not to mention the DVD Video structure) I attempted to use Sonic Scenarist ... the result was a violent fit complete with uncontrollable muscle spams and frothing at the mouth not to mention blood letting from various orifices followed by fainting into a coma that lasted a day or so heh
    I crack myself up

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote