VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

I am not a spam artist, I am just a user that loves ConvertXtoDVD a lot.

The latest version just released does a lot of new stuff.

Other than my big signature, I have done nothing wrong than to say I love ConvertXtoDVD and now you can convert a PAL to NTSC dvd.

Just offering a new solution that didn't exist in the past.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, I will stay back and only answer specific VSO questions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you're so proud of the job it does, and are mentioning this payware product only out of the goodness of your heart so others can also learn of the Good News, then how about a small sample of what it can do with a conversion from PAL to NTSC? Just open a converted vob in DGIndex, use the "[" and "]" buttons to isolate a small (10 second or so) section with movement/motion, go File->Save Project and Demux Video and upload the resulting M2V to:

http://rapidshare.de/

When done, post the link here.

By the way, you registered on Nov 1, have made 8 posts, 7 of which have been to promote this product. You're a liar to say you're not spamming. You're a liar to say in the past there was no way to do this. Any encoder can do a proper conversion if you know how.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, first a disclaimer, just in case: I'm not promoting anything, the fact that what I'm about to say here is similar to a post I made in another thread earlier is just a coincidence. Since both problems are similar, the solution is similar too.

Now, let's go down to business...

About converting subtitles from "pal" (25fps, 576 pixels height) to "ntsc" (29.97fps, 480 pixels height), yes, I know DVDSubEdit, but I had already developed a method some time ago.

1. Demux the subpicture streams to .sup files using PGCdemux
    2. Use dvdsupdecode with the -bitmap and -pal (or -fr:25) parameter to generate a set of .bmp files and a .txt file with the timing info
    3. Open the .txt file with a text editor, do two global replaces to get rid of the { and } surrounding the .bmp file names, save as a .sub file
    4. Open the .sub file with Subtitle Workshop, convert the framerate from 25fps to 29.97fps, save the results as a new .sub file
    5. Open the second (new) .sub file with a text editor, do two global replaces to add the { and } around the .bmp file names again, get rid of the first line which only indicates the framerate, it may look like:
    Code:
    {1}{1}29.970
    and add the following lines instead:
    Code:
    FrameW=720
    FrameH=480
    FrameRate=29.97
    and also add the lines indicating the palette entries and transparency from the original .txt file, something that may look like:
    Code:
    Palette=2333
    Alpha=FFF0
    and save as a new .txt file
    6. Use your favorite graphics program (I used PhotoFiltre) to do a batch-processing of the .bmp files you got in step 2, resizing them from 720x574 pixels to 720x478 pixels
    7. Use dvdsupencode to generate a new .sup file from the second .txt file and the resized bitmaps
    8. Use MuxMan to mux the resulting .sup file with your reprocessed 29.97fps video and audio streams

Notice that this method can be used for other stuff too, like re-timing subtitles (like when you have subtitles from an old DVD and want to add them to a newly remastered edition that didn't have them, but theres is a shorter or longer intro sequence before the movie actually starts - I did that with the Rambo trilogy for a friend, for example), re-sincronizing subtitles that haven't been properly timed from start to finish (done that too, can't remember which movie it was but the subtitles started too early and ended too late, or maybe the other way around - I think it may have been Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive"), realign subtitles that are too high over the picture (don't remember these either - maybe the first or second season of "The Dead Zone"), or even resize the subtitles if you think they're too small - or too big (though resizing is trickier, you have to resize and crop to the original size, keeping the portion of the image that contains the subtitles, and making sure that the resizing doesn't introduce additional colors on the bitmap).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by machf
    4. Open the .sub file with Subtitle Workshop, convert the framerate from 25fps to 29.97fps, save the results as a new .sub file
    Wouldn't that mess up the timing of the subs in the DGPulldown method cuz the encode is done at 25fps and kept the original running time?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe, in that particular case. If it's so, you can keep them at 25fps then and do the other steps. The subtitle timing info is being stored as frame numbers, in any case.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe, in that particular case. If it's so, you can keep them at 25fps then and do the other steps. The subtitle timing info is being stored as frame numbers, in any case.

Adjusting the FPS and the delay can be much more easily done after conversion of the subs to VobSubs. The conversion takes just a very few minutes and is automatic (no OCR). The 25fps VobSubs subs can be converted to 23.976fps subs (if that's the way your conversion is being done, and NOT to 29.97fps when doing it this way) almost instantly using Sub Cutter (comes in the VobSub package), and the delay can be adjusted if necessary by following the instructions inside the IDX and then resaving. After saving, open them in Sub Resynch (also in the VobSub package) and save again to IDX/SUB. That will get rid of the written delay and adjust all the timestamps. Then convert back to SUP using SubToSup, and reauthor using Muxman

Your information about shrinking the subs to NTSC size was interesting, I thought, as I had never read of a way to do that. The subs, if kept as PAL sized are a bit larger, although I don't find them to be too big. Your method does sound a bit complicated, though, although maybe that's because I've never used it. If I were worried about the size of the subs, I think I might prefer to OCR to SSA, and then make NTSC SUP files from my SSA format subs, going the MaestroSBT route.

You mentioned something about using DVDSubEdit. Are you saying it's possible to change the size of the BMPs of the SUP file using DVDSubEdit? If so, I don't see how. Can you explain?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Maybe, in that particular case. If it's so, you can keep them at 25fps then and do the other steps. The subtitle timing info is being stored as frame numbers, in any case.

Adjusting the FPS and the delay can be much more easily done after conversion of the subs to VobSubs. The conversion takes just a very few minutes and is automatic (no OCR). The 25fps VobSubs subs can be converted to 23.976fps subs (if that's the way your conversion is being done, and NOT to 29.97fps when doing it this way)
    To be honest, the last time I used this was long ago, so it may have been 23.976 instead of 29.97 fps... that step I described should just be something more generic, like "convert to the required output fps (23.976, 25, 29.97...)".

almost instantly using Sub Cutter (comes in the VobSub package), and the delay can be adjusted if necessary by following the instructions inside the IDX and then resaving. After saving, open them in Sub Resynch (also in the VobSub package) and save again to IDX/SUB. That will get rid of the written delay and adjust all the timestamps. Then convert back to SUP using SubToSup, and reauthor using Muxman
    I'll take notice of this info for the next time, thanks... as I said, I developed this some time ago (more than a year, from what I remember), and extended it for other uses later. It was when I wanted to take the subtitles from the old edition of the Rambo trilogy and the added intros in the new one made them out of sync, I thought "there has to be a way to just shift them" (no DVDSubEdit back then), then I noticed that the output from dvdsupdecode was very similar to the MicroDVD format and thought of this.
    BTW, does this method with VobSub allow you to apply a "ramp" to subtitles? (you know, given times for the first and last subtitles, adjust the timing of all proportionally)

Your information about shrinking the subs to NTSC size was interesting, I thought, as I had never read of a way to do that. The subs, if kept as PAL sized are a bit larger, although I don't find them to be too big. Your method does sound a bit complicated, though, although maybe that's because I've never used it. If I were worried about the size of the subs, I think I might prefer to OCR to SSA, and then make NTSC SUP files from my SSA format subs, going the MaestroSBT route.
    The problem with that is that OCR is not 100% perfect... that's why I decided to just batch-resize the subpictures instead. If you're just going to resize the pictures without modifying the timing, it's far easier - you don't need to alter the .txt file other than to add the FrameW and FrameH values, so it's basically: 1. demux with PGCdemux, 2. decode with dvdsupdecode, 3. edit the .txt file with a text editor adding the FrameH and FrameW lines, 4. batch-resize the .bmp files with a graphics program, 5. reencode with dvdsupencode, 6. remux with MuxMan.

You mentioned something about using DVDSubEdit. Are you saying it's possible to change the size of the BMPs of the SUP file using DVDSubEdit? If so, I don't see how. Can you explain?
    Hmmm, no, that's not what I meant...
    I've used DVDSubEdit mostly for "fine-tuning" subtitles (for example, when I get some subtitles starting some frames before a chapter entry point, and they won't play if you skip chapters for that reason), and I've seen some people suggest using it for globally displacing the subtitles upwards when converting from PAL to NTSC so that they appear inside the visible area - but the problem with that is that, if you have a 'supra'-title (a subtitle that is displayed on the upper portion of the screen instead of the lower), it will disappear from the screen (as happened with the other subtitles originally). That's why resizing is a better option, IMO.

I first used this to enlarge some DVD's subtitles which were a bit small, here are the settings I used in PhotoFiltre:

Although I think these settings were for some other operation (as they only make the subtitles wider). OTOH, I think I made them only wider because of the same problem I mentioned with DVDSubEdit and 'supra'-titles... otherwise, I remember making them proportionally larger and then doing the cropping aligned to the bottom, instead of centered in the middle of the resulting picture.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi-

Does it allow you to apply a "ramp' to subtitles? (you know, given times for the first and last subtitles, adjust the timing of all proportionally)

No, but you shouldn't really need that capability, not for converting subs from retail DVDs anyway. Using Sub Cutter, you open the IDX, check the "Modify FPS" box, fill in the original framerate (25fps, in this example) and the output framerate (23.976fps), and "Save As". If you then have to set a delay, you first find out the amount of the delay, and then follow my instructions in my previous post.

The problem with that is that OCR is not 100% perfect

And I know that better than most, as I type badly. But I'm careful to run them through a spellchecker, and try and check them carefully. But it's a point well taken, and keeping them as image files all the way through is preferred. Less chance of human error.

If you're just going to resize the pictures without modifying the timing, it's far easier...

Maybe I'll give it a try then. In my demo project, I did it the way Pinstripes23 mentioned, keeping the framerate at 25fps. Even if I were to slow the framerate to 23.976fps, I could also convert the VobSubs to 23.976fps before converting them back to SUP. I like your "simple resize" method much better. I've never done batch anything in my life. Maybe it's time I learned. Thanks much.

That's why resizing is a better option, IMO.

Yes, no question about it. Although I raised the subs a bit for this project using DVDSubEdit, I knew there weren't any subs at the top of the screen. I think I'll go track down dvdsupdecode and PhotoFiltre and give it a try. Thanks for the tips.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi-

Does it allow you to apply a "ramp' to subtitles? (you know, given times for the first and last subtitles, adjust the timing of all proportionally)

No, but you shouldn't really need that capability, not for converting subs from retail DVDs anyway.
    In that particular case, the subs from a retail DVD had been somehow totally screwed up, and the publisher either didn't notice, or decided to ignore it. As I said, I think it was Peter Jackson's "Dead Alive" (aka "Braindead").

Yes, that's it... this release, to be precise (I kept a backup of the files I used to correct it). It had originally:
    Code:
    ;Subpictures_21.sup
    FrameRate=29.97
    Palette=3123
    Alpha=D0E0
    {793}{919}{Subpictures_21_000001.bmp}
    {1170}{1287}{Subpictures_21_000002.bmp}
    {174212}{174448}{Subpictures_21_000574.bmp}
    {174471}{174611}{Subpictures_21_000575.bmp}
    And I had to change it to:
    Code:
    ;Subpictures_21.sup
    FrameW=720
    FrameH=480
    FrameRate=29.97
    Palette=3123
    Alpha=D0E0
    {822}{948}{Subpictures_21_000001.bmp}
    {1200}{1317}{Subpictures_21_000002.bmp}
    {174264}{174500}{Subpictures_21_000574.bmp}
    {174523}{174663}{Subpictures_21_000575.bmp}
    And these were the original subpictures:

which I batch-resized to:

BTW, if you're interested, here are the links:
    DVD Subtitle Tools - not updated in a long, long time, but they work fine
    Photofiltre - updated last month (the version I had was already two years old...)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've seen some people suggest using it for globally displacing the subtitles upwards when converting from PAL to NTSC so that they appear inside the visible area - but the problem with that is that, if you have a 'supra'-title (a subtitle that is displayed on the upper portion of the screen instead of the lower), it will disappear from the screen (as happened with the other subtitles originally). That's why resizing is a better option, IMO.
    machf....there is a flush feature that can be used globally in dvdsubedit that will keep the subtitles within a "safe area", even if you only have a few of those subs on top and the majority on the bottom. Of course the correct way is resize the subpics to NTSC resoution but for a majority of people, using dvdsubedit on adjusting the subtitles may be good enough and easier as it cuts down on the amount of steps and is a fairly quick process.

You know I recognized dvdsubtitle tools you mentioned but my intention wasn't going to use it for subtitles, but for subpics of the menus. I could not figure out how to use it and so I gave up on it. But since you have a lot of experience with it, do you think it can be used for resizing a PAL menu subpic to NTSC....for converting the menus?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I guess so, at least theoretically. I was planning to try it with a PAL menu next, but then I checked these forums to see what else had been written on the subject, and haven't actually done it yet... Let's see if tomorrow I free up some space on my HDD and finally do it.

Thanks for the DVDSubEdit info, BTW. As I said, I've used it for minor trimming, mostly. I've been downloading the latest versions, but haven't been using them, as I haven't had a reason to in about 8 months...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry, guys...going to grab the thread back for a moment:

I had to change authoring programs to Muxman, Rejig caused problems with the subtitles--I alluded to this before.
    Well, during playback of the movie they would ocassionally turn off, turn 'em back on and no big deal, but...

Changed over to Muxman and everything was OK, but had to add IFOEdit to the equation to change the subtitle color (copy original IFO) and also a little Microsoft Excel to convert the PAL frames to NTSC (celltimes.txt) so the chapters were correct.

Another funny note (not funny ha ha, but strange), the demuxed video from PGCDemux as I loaded it into Womble MPEG editor was actually 6 1/2 minutes longer than the original 1 hour 45 minutes on the time stamp even though the video started and ended at the same place, like the time was s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d slightly (6.5 min). But when I converted in in TMPGEnc, the film now ended at the timestamp 1:45:00, and there was 6.5 minutes of blank video...
    That caused 6.5 mins of blank video in the final compilation, Womble MPEG editor was used to cut that out before DGPulldown, everything back to normal.

AND...one very last note, Muxman gave the following error--"Shortest GOP has 2 fields, longest GOP has 39 fields. Largest GOP of 39 fields exceeds DVD specification of 36, resulting DVD is non-standard."
    FixVTS to the rescue, otherwise the burned DVD was not playable.

SO...now the DVD has the right sub colors, right chapters, ends at the right time and is DVD compliant, just a lot more drama than I would have preferred...
    But as always, the result is what counts:

1. DVDFabdecrypter to rip VOB's (maybe better than Shrink)
    2. PGCDemux, demuxes audio, video and subs
    3. Excel to fix the celltime.txt file 25->29.97 framerate
    4. Bitrate Calc to figure out video bitrate
    5. TMPGEnc to encode to 720x480 25fps *.m2v file
    6. Womble MPEG Editor to cut off blank video at end of converted *.m2v file
    7. DGPulldown to change m2v file to 29.97 fps
    8. Muxman to put it all back together
    9. IFOEdit to copy subtitle color from original IFO
    10. DVDSubEdit to move subtitles up (about 88 pixels)
    11. FixVTS (in case Muxman tosses out the compliance error)

Thanks again, am getting pretty quick at performing all the steps, DVD plays fine on all 5 DVD players, subs, audio, chapters work. Am beaten down, but happy, not defeated.

Again, couldn't have done it without your help, if you have any notions as to why these things, above, happened, would be interested in knowing...otherwise consider the procedure revised due to "unforeseen circumstances".

Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  13. and here I go again with "just one more thing"--

my wife has a laptop with a an Intel (do-doo-doo, intel music...) T2300 1.66GHz core duo, something like that + 1GB of ram.

My Athlon XP2800 2.06GHz + 512MB ram desktop was pretty good when I built it 2 years ago, but I must say in processing the video her laptop smokes my computer.

That laptop takes 2 1/2 hours to process the .m2v file and my desktop takes almost 6 hours...

Is that because of the duo core, or what am I missing here? Time for a new motherboard and processor for the old desktop?

Sorry to bother again, "just one more thing" came to mind to ask...

Take care manono, fulcilives, pinstripes, machf, hope you solve the other issues you were discussing.

Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think AMD processors may not be as good as Intel ones when it comes to processing video... they fare better on other stuff (games, mostly). But that difference is a bit too much, all things considered. What's the length of your video, BTW? Oh, right, 1h45min. A single-processor 2.8 or 3.0GHz system would roughly take twice as long to encode it. Even on your system, I wouldn't expect it to take more than 4 hours at most... 6 hours is more like what it would have taken to my former P3@700MHz (actually, it would have taken some 8-10 hours).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ran PCPitstop on the desktop Athlon XP 2800 and the laptop Intel 1.66GHz Core Duo.

AMD: 6067 MIPS > AVERAGE = OK
    INT: 11431 MIPS > AVERAGE = OK

Guess the Intel is 2X faster, BTW using FulciLives 2-Pass VBR in TMPGEnc, total encoding time is actually 2X what would normally be: laptop = 1:15 to encode 1:45 movie, desktop = 3:00 to encode the same if it were 1-pass encoding.
    Maybe something about the Intel architecture makes it faster for encoding, am quite impressed for a laptop.
    Wife doesn't mind having both computers chugging at the same time, recode these 60 DVD's 2X faster.

Thanks,
    Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi-

Congrats. Another one to do it. Tricky and time consuming, but by no means impossible.

FixVTS (in case Muxman tosses out the compliance error)

What was your GOP length? Applying pulldown increases the GOP length from what it was in the encoder. I don't use TMPGEnc, but you want a 12 frame GOP. 15 may be default. In CCE you set N/M for 4.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks manono, here is the screen that you refer to.

Is it "MAX number of frames in a GOP" that I should set to 12?

Thanks so much, somehow doesn't seem right to have to run FixVTS, Muxman is the best, shouldn't give any such issues...

[/img]

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nice guide....can we get any more detail?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  19. Is it "MAX number of frames in a GOP" that I should set to 12?

Yep. 18 is way too high. It leaves you no leeway for error, even if you were encoding for 29.97fps, which you weren't. Applying Pulldown afterwards increases the number of displayed fields. For example, here's part of a Muxman log for a 23.976->29.97fps pulldown:
    Shortest GOP has 15 fields, longest GOP has 30 fields.
    That's from a CCE encode where I had N/M=4 (or a 12 frame GOP), and after pulldown the max GOP size is 15 frames (or 30 fields). When doing a PAL2NTSC conversion, and after applying pulldown for 25->29.97fps, the max GOP size will be 29 fields. It's below the NTSC max of 36, but allows room for error. Your 18 frames (equal to 36 fields), will have a max GOP size of 44 fields (I think). No good at all.

As for the other settings on that screen, I'm not real sure, so I'll let some TMPGEnc user fill you in. I use Open GOPs (and you should too, probably) and I think the number of P pictures is supposed to be 4.
    Quote Quote  
  20. ron spencer-

At some point, unless someone else beats me too it, I'll write a complete guide. I just figured out how to shrink PAL sized subtitles to NTSC size, which was the last thing I needed to learn. I want to do the whole thing over again using a different DVD, to see if the process works for other DVDs as well. I've got all the pictures taken for the guide, and I just have to see if my method is repeatable.

If you've had any encoding experience, it's not all that difficult, in principle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    tons of encoding experience...just a slow machine, so I have avoided trying on some of my PAL stuff....now this mini guide here looks good so thatit will be worth the effort on my PIII 866....overnight for sure HA HA; yah I need a new machine

What is the excel part above mean?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  22. The Excel part refers to the fact that when using Muxman, IFOEdit, or Rejig to mux, they all take the cell frame numbers at the displayed framerate. What is 25fps in the original PAL DVD becomes 29.97fps after being converted to NTSC. I guess he wrote a little program to do the conversion automatically. Me, I just multiplied every PAL frame number by 1.1988 to get the NTSC equivalent.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well that was obvious....duh on me

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Excel part refers to the fact that when using Muxman, IFOEdit, or Rejig to mux, they all take the cell frame numbers at the displayed framerate. What is 25fps in the original PAL DVD becomes 29.97fps after being converted to NTSC. I guess he wrote a little program to do the conversion automatically. Me, I just multiplied every PAL frame number by 1.1988 to get the NTSC equivalent.
    Manono I don't know if you have experience using excel but it's a great shortcut when creating NTSC chapters from the PAL celltimes.txt....especially if you have like some 30 chapters. I use it also for creating or converting new celltimes, and with a saved template it literally becomes a copy n paste job and done within seconds.

BTW when you said you figured out how to shrink the PAL subtitles to NTSC size...is that within dvdsubedit, or did you use a different prog like dvdsubtitle tools to do it?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hi-

Manono I don't know if you have experience using excel ...

Never used it. Couldn't even if I wanted to, as I purposely have no Office junk on my lean mean encoding machine.

BTW when you said you figured out how to shrink the PAL subtitles to NTSC size...is that within dvdsubedit, or did you use a different prog like dvdsubtitle tools to do it?

I did it differently. I extracted the BMP from the PAL DVD and made a SON file of it, both from within SubRip, batch-shrank all the PAL subs to NTSC size using machf's PhotoFiltre (although other freebie photoeditors, like IrfanView, can do the job), modified my SON script for NTSC, converted to IDX/SUB using Son2VobSub, and then to SUP using SubToSup. Took a while to figure out. Never did find the more direct way of creating an SST file for loading directly into Muxman. Just couldn't get it to work. I spent a long time developing this, although actually doing it is very fast. Going through a VobSub stage can be useful if you have to slow the subs to 23.976fps speed (if you're doing the PAL2NTSC conversion that way), or adjust the delay for one reason or another. You can also read the VobSubs to make sure you're OK up to that point, before muxing and maybe finding out you have no subs.

459-son2vobsub.rar
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hi Manono, can you help?

I set maximum GOP length to 12 frames in TMPGEnc, here is the message from the muxman log:
    "Shortest GOP has 2 fields, longest GOP has 24 fields."

No complaints of "oddities" from Muxman this time, but the audio appears somewhat out of sync, a new issue.

Would short GOP's cause this?

If I set maximum GOP to 16 frame, that would extrapolate to maximum 36 fields per GOP, would that alleviate the sync problem?

Thanks again,
    Chipsndukes
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did it differently. I extracted the BMP from the PAL DVD and made a SON file of it, both from within SubRip, batch-shrank all the PAL subs to NTSC size using machf's PhotoFiltre (although other freebie photoeditors, like IrfanView, can do the job), modified my SON script for NTSC, converted to IDX/SUB using Son2VobSub, and then to SUP using SubToSup. Took a while to figure out. Never did find the more direct way of creating an SST file for loading directly into Muxman. Just couldn't get it to work. I spent a long time developing this, although actually doing it is very fast. Going through a VobSub stage can be useful if you have to slow the subs to 23.976fps speed (if you're doing the PAL2NTSC conversion that way), or adjust the delay for one reason or another. You can also read the VobSubs to make sure you're OK up to that point, before muxing and maybe finding out you have no subs.
    So, you used:
    SubRip->editing->Son2VobSub->SubToSup

I remember I tried to do something like that at first, but there were missing links in the conversion chain, and that was how I arrived at my solution.
    Hmmm... what problems have you had with MuxMan and .sst files? I've used them lots of times (whenever I want to add translated subtitles) without problems... the only limitation I remember is that the bitmaps must be uncompressed, 4-bit .bmp files for MuxMan to properly accept them. I think that's what led me to PhotoFiltre, since it will allow you to save .bmp images with a custom 16-color (4-bit) palette, while other programs will automatically assign Windows' palette whenever you convert to 16 colors...
    And I just realized that, since Subtitle Workshop supports Scenarist .sst files, that would be a much simpler method... only minor inconvenient I can remember is that , since the .bmp files are uncompressed, the resulting subtitle stream will be a bit larger than the original.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Wait a minute. You didn't run DGPulldown afterwards for 25->29.97 (or even 23.976->29.97)? This isn't a PAL2NTSC conversion?

Sounds to me like you have a pure 29.97fps interlaced source, in which case you usually set the GOP length for 15 frames. Either that or you encoded for 29.97fps and maybe you shouldn't have. Or maybe you applied pulldown during the encode. If so, I don't know how TMPGEnc handles that.

Would short GOP's cause this?

No, the GOP length has nothing to do whether or not you're in synch. A wrong framerate would cause progressive asynch (gets worse as the video goes along). An incorrect delay, or no delay applied when you should, have would account for a constant delay (it's off by the same amount all the way through).
    Quote Quote  
  29. machf-

Hmmm... what problems have you had with MuxMan and .sst files?

I realize it's probably something very minor that I'm not getting. I just got tired of messing with it. I got SSTs to work on my menu subs. There was only one BMP for each menu in that case. And I decided I wouldn't use a command line program if there was any way in hell to avoid doing it. And dvdsupdecode is built into SubRip anyway. But however I edited the NTSC SST for Muxman, even if it accepted it (sometimes yes, sometimes no), as soon as I started the mux, it gave out with an error message.

So I went back to do another mux, to report the error message to you. I found Muxman doesn't like the SSTs to be mixed with SUP files. I had English and German subs. The English ones I converted to NTSC size and the German ones I left alone as SUP, since I'll never use them. When muxing the 2 different sub formats, Muxman refused to do it. But when trying to get the exact wording of the error message, I added only my NTSC SST file, leaving off the German subs, and it muxed for the first time. But when played, no subs showed up anyway. Screw it.

So, you used:
    SubRip->editing->Son2VobSub->SubToSup

Yes, that's what worked for me. Editing included converting all the BMPs to 720x478 as well as changing the SON txt file to reflect the change to NTSC. The SPF file that comes along with it I left unchanged, as I can't read it anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Weird, whenever I've added translated subtitles using .sst files (generated with MaestroSBT), I've kept the original ones as .sup files and MuxMan hasn't complained about mixing them... it must be something else, possibly what I mentioned about the .bmp files having to be uncompressed, 4-bit in order to be able to load .sst files with MuxMan.
    Quote Quote