VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI! I'm about to burn an MPEG-2 file that was originally an AVI that I filmed. Since I know jack-squat, and I will be looking tonight, what is the big difference between AC3 and Mpeg audio? Premire pro 1.5 can export mpeg for audio, and I have the ffmpeggui03c AC3 converter, does one sound better? It is to put on a DVD.
    Thanks!
    winxp - 3.06 -
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my experience they are pretty much the same - the main exception being ac3's ability to do 5.1 audio. I think there is multichannel mpeg audio available but I'm not sure about compatibility. Basically if you want 5.1 you do ac3.

But if you are strictly stereo or mono ac3 and mpeg audio are essentially equivalent in my opinion.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

From my research and experience, and from what I hear on these forums, go with AC3 for the following reasons:

-AC3 is a DVD standard most widely used. In fact, probably all commercial DVDs would be in AC3 if it wasn't for the royalty paid out to the Dolby Digital group.
    -Some hardware doesn't even recognize the MP2 format. All of them recognize AC3.
    -As you can see from the last post, AC3 gives you more options, while retaining those of MP2.
    -File size isn't an issue because both are relatively the same.
    -Dolby is also involved in developing AAC, a codec which is better than AC3 and should replace mp3 in the future. The point here is stick with AC3 and Dolby to ensure long term compatibility and easy conversioin to future generation systems.
    -Quality? The human ear probably won't tell you, but both are lossy formats. LPCM would be the choice there, but it's so much bigger in file size and again, the human ear won't tell the difference anyway.

Go with AC3 and you should be fine.

You may need to install an AC3 codec/plug-in to play Dolby stuff on your PC. Just google it and you should find some free stuff.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR
    You may need to install an AC3 codec/plug-in to play Dolby stuff on your PC. Just google it and you should find some free stuff.
    Here.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow, thanks, I'll stick with AC3. I do have the ffmpeggui03c converter and have been using it, but I didn't know I needed the AC3ACM codec, or did I? either way I downloaded the codec too, thanks!
    winxp - 3.06 -
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what royalty? there isnt any
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    what royalty? there isnt any
    Not sure of the details, but I do know there are licensing fees with the patents that Dolby Digital has rights to. You can't just put their name and logo for free on DVDs.

As well, this will continue to apply when they release their version 4 of MPEG AAC (for MPEG 4), which would be an upgrade from MPEG-2 AAC. I'm sure it's in the news somewhere if you do a search.

Maybe "licensing" is not synonymous with "royalties", but I know there's a fee somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the only fee is in regards to the encoder - not the product ..

use of the logo is free - though you have apply for its use
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I knew there was a fee attached somewhere, not sure where it was. Then again, I could have sworn that there was some fee attached to the products themselves sporting the "Dolby standard".

Regardless, as far as this thread is concerned, I would stick with AC3 (Dolby).
    Quote Quote