VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a way to change .ass subs to .srt type? I dont know if there is a program that can do that.

Search Comp PM
    Subtitle workshop says it can load them. If it can, then it should be able to give you .srt output.
    Read my blog here.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Visualsubsync can convert between these format's without problem .

4. Simply open the .ass file with note pad and save as .srt.
    Uncheck the unicode box (if it is in unicode)while saving if you want the new srt file to be compatable with most DVD author programs or to be edited in most subtitle programs.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Faithful Follower
    Simply open the .ass file with note pad and save as .srt.
    Uncheck the unicode box (if it is in unicode)while saving if you want the new srt file to be compatable with most DVD author programs or to be edited in most subtitle programs.
    I don't think so. They're very different layouts, though you could hack them by hand in an editor. The following though were created by reading into Subtitle Workshop and saving as another format.

ASS extract
    Code:
    [Script Info]
    ScriptType: v4.00+
    Collisions: Normal
    PlayResX: 384
    PlayResY: 288
    Timer: 100.0000

[V4+ Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
    Style: Default,Tahoma,24,&H00FFFFFF,&H00FFFFFF,&H00FFFFFF,&H00C0C0C0,-1,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,1,2,3,2,20,20,20,1

[Events]
    Format: Layer, Start, End, Style, Actor, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Effect, Text
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:32.20,0:00:33.10,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,Baldrick!
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:33.10,0:00:34.50,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,Yes, sir?
    Dialogue: 0,0:00:34.50,0:00:37.60,Default,,0000,0000,0000,,Get me some mulled ale, will you? I’m freezing.
    SRT
    Code:
    00:00:32,200 --> 00:00:33,100
    Baldrick!

00:00:33,100 --> 00:00:34,500
    Yes, sir?

00:00:34,500 --> 00:00:37,600
    Get me some mulled ale, will you? I’m freezing.
    PS: though this shows up here as some Unicode hash, in the files these are actually ANSI characters, I prefer to use real punctuation glyphs (curly quotes, long dashes, etc.)

6. I've been doing this for the last 12 months or so. I won't give any advises if I hadn't test and/or tried it.

If the sub format is a text base subs, it will work.
    Ofcourse, when saving, make sure save as ' All file '.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is the same as ren *.ass *.srt. All it does is change the extension. As per above ass and srt are two quite different formats. Srt is basic, no formating, overlapping subs, effects, etc. Converting you will lose all formating and overlapping subs could be an issue.

Search Comp PM
    I've been doing this for the last 12 months or so. I won't give any advises if I hadn't test and/or tried it.

If the sub format is a text base subs, it will work.
    Ofcourse, when saving, make sure save as ' All file '.
    If you look at the examples I posted above, you can see the differences. If your authoring apps can digest an ASS file renamed as SRT, it means they can read ASS format subs and probably you could just load the original ASS files. What apps did you do this with? Can you post an extract from your ASS file?

Subtitle Workshop is free and will do a real conversion.

Search Comp PM
    Disregard Post.
    I hate VHS. I always did.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well originally there was ssa (Sub Station Alpha). Then as I understand it it was expanded upon to add features people needed and eventually became Advanced Sub Station Alpha or ass. The next evolution would be Gabest's ssf which is even more feature rich.

11. celtic, you are correct that after saved as srt from ass, the overlapping subs will have to be fix, which can be easily done by any sub editors.

No matter which methods or programs you use, the special features of ass will be lost when converted to srt,. The OP asked exactly this
    Is there a way to change .ass subs to .srt type?
    I first discovered this method when I used subresync to convert, when it is a text base sub, there's no need to OCR. I 'd compared the srt converted by subresync and the one with the method I mentioned, they are the same.

Search Comp PM
    I 'd compared the srt converted by subresync and the one with the method I mentioned, they are the same.
    I would still like to see a sample of the ASS file you claim works by your method, and know which authoring app you are using.

after saved as srt from ass, the overlapping subs will have to be fix, which can be easily done by any sub editors.
    If you are indeed loading your file into a subtitle editor first, that is probably converting it to a true SRT file.

13. Member
    Search PM
    they really should have picked a different file extension.

14. Actually .... Faithful Follower is correct, something which AlanHK would have seen if he hadn't been such a bore and a lazy one at that. You can just change the file extension from ass to srt, and most software vidplayers will just play whatever they can read in the file and skip the rest. WHY? BECAUSE THEY SEE IT AS AN *.ssa file of course, and those guys made it backward compatible, duh!?!

AlanHK should have tried stuff out before opening his big mouth and started dissing people.
    What DA f is the importance of lay out or structure IF IT WORKS?!?! You can go all formal and say that they look different , in the end what matters is if it works or not.

Even my standalone hardware 40 bucks DVD player could see the ASS subfiles!!

And yes, Greymalkin of course they picked that extension on purpose .... are you 12?

Originally Posted by AlanHK
    I would still like to see a sample of the ASS file you claim works by your method, and know which authoring app you are using.
    you lazy A--, do it yourself why don't you?
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aegisub is another freeware program that can export Advanced Substation Alpha subs (yes, PuzZLer, it is an .ass file) to .srt using "Export To..." under the File pulldown.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ********
    Actually .... Faithful Follower is correct, something which AlanHK would have seen if he hadn't been such a bore and a lazy one at that.
    you lazy A--, do it yourself why don't you?
    Reviving a three year old thread to make inane comments and personally abuse me.

A jerk, an idiot and a troll all in one.

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez, I need to start looking at the dates on this! Here I was, thinking I was contributing, and its just a dead thread, resurrected for the sake of a petty feud. ********, you've got some issues.

Search Comp PM
    ********, it's Ok to revive an old thread for certain updates, etc. with good judgement.

But this has got to be one of the lamest resurrections of a thread I have ever seen since I've been in forums.

I'm very serious - TRULY lame. And totally uncool. You need a life.
    I hate VHS. I always did.