VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Anybody who is interested in my development version of GfD may download it here:
    EDIT: Link removed as the new version is now 'official'

(I will always update this link if a new version is available)
    The new version has many new features, therefore I'm much behind with the documentation...
    But for users with some experience in working with GfD it should be no problem to figure it out.
    That's the reason why I post it here only and not on the 'official' GfD page.

This is an update; a working 0.99 version is required.
    To install, just unzip all files into your GfD folder (the 'dvdauthor path') and overwrite the 'old' files.

Short list of new/changed functions:
    1. MuxMan support (to use it, mark MuxMan as authoring engine in the permanent settings; this is an 'unchangeable' setting (like PAL/NTSC) and must be done before anything is added to the project)
    2. DGMepgdec is used instead of mpegsource for mpg files in animated menus
    3. HCenc version 0.19 is used
    4. Support for iso images and burning with imgburn (not yet finished, but working)
    5. 'Play all' button (this partly disables/overrules the 'normal' start and end actions)
    6. Gaussian blur for menus and audiotitlesets (avisynth compatible parameters 0.1 to 1.58 )
    7. Small 'VM-command' editor (not as 'sophisticated' as the one in pgcedit...) to give you the full control for pre and post commands (both menus and titles).
    8. ChapEditGfd can be used to create marks only (without images/clips)

EDIT: Fixed some typos, fixed menu bug (on some players the highlights 'disappeared' after ~ 4 minutes in MuxMan mode)
    EDIT2: New function: Chapter Playlist(s). Can be used to show selected chapters only or (i.e. for audio only titlesets) play chapters/titles in a different sequence. The function can be found in the menu topic 'Insert' - Chapter Playlist
    EDIT3: Bugfix: Wrong VM commands if 'End action=Play next title' with more than 50 titles (version 0.99.0025)
    EDIT4: Bugfix: Within the Subtitles format dialog 'old' values were used for resolution and fps; Added: Pre/Post commands for Playlists; randomize list for Audiotitlesets and Playlists (version 0.99.0029)
    EDIT5: Bugfix: Using a windows screen resolution of 16 Bit colors ('HighColor') caused no/wrong Highlight; ChapEditGfD crashed with path length > 128 char; Added: Show font (subtitles format dialog); version 0.99.0030
    EDIT6: NeroCmd version 7 supported, loop/trim of background animation...
    EDIT7: Bugfix: Updated the 'predefined button actions for MuxMan (SetSTN...); 'Empty' free defined menus are always created; 'Empty' titleset menus are created if a post action is given (version 0.99.0035)

Bug reports welcome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I've loaded it and will give it a try.

In the meantime:

Why is the "Advanced" setting unchangeable through the GUI? I found this quite frustrating when I couldn't insert a second menu page after setting up a dozen menu items. Fortunately I discovered I could change the setting directly in the .gfd file, with no apparent problems.

What advantages are there to using Muxman?
    One possible problem is that Muxman complains about files made by HCenc using 3:2 pulldown.

Typos:
    "SubTitels" on the loading files dialog. (Should be "Subtitles".)
    Also a button "Visualchapterditor" (Should be "Visual chapter editor)
    And the new "Edit VM commands" dialog has "Substract" instead of "Subtract" on the "Calc" menu.

Feature request: I found that the subtitle engine does not recognise italic codes in SRT files. So I have to create SUP bitmap subtitles in another app if I want italics. I don't know if these format codes are really a standard, but many subtitle editors use them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thx! I will fix the typos asap...

Advantages of muxman:
    - Faster for elementary streams (much faster with subtitles in SUP format)
    - More reliable multiplexer (according to mpucoder: ...far superior to any mplex based authoring program )
    - Support for pcm audio (wav files)
    - 16:9 menus can be created with both letterbox and pan&scan

Disadvantages:
    - Only sup subtitles (no text based like srt, sub...)
    - Only mpeg2 elementary streams in dvd compliant resolution possible (no svcd resolution supported)
    - More sensitive to stream errors
    - Much more complicated control file syntax...

...italic codes in SRT files. Spumux can use only one font. Italics would require a second...
    Maybe a good C programmer could change that, but I can't.

...advanced mode: Ok, you are right. It will be possible in the next version to turn it on anytime (but not off again). Same for animated menus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used the new version with Muxman yesterday.

I didn't time it, but seems faster with Muxman. Certainly less overhead as Muxman creates VOBs directly from the streams without needing to make muxed MPGs.

One thing that seems different; using DVDauthor, when playing a title on a multi-episode DVD, and pressing "Menu" I went back to the main menu. Now this takes me back to start the current title again. I can get the main menu with the "Title" button. Maybe this is actually more correct behaviour.

The setting for ChapEditGfd to just create marks has to be reselected each time, it always reverts to marks + screenshots when opened.

Some other comments while I'm at it:

When selecting an item in a menu it's highlighted. This involves a frame outline and a change of colour, which are selectable. But also the text is thickened (fake bolding). On PC screen this looks okay, but on TV it's quite unattractive, and with smaller fonts less legible. I'd prefer to make this effect an option I can turn off.

When designing a menu I'd really like to be able to burn a dummy DVD with just the menus and no actual movies (or very short dummy ones), so I can check out how the colours and fonts look on a real TV. To author a full disk takes half an hour or so, just the titles a few minutes. I know I could do something like batch move and rename files myself, maybe I will someday; but it would be nice to have such a preview feature.
    Quote Quote  
  5. >One thing that seems different...
    You can achive the same behaviour with muxman, but you have to do it your own. I think this would be a good example for the usage of the advanced pre post command editor.

>The setting for ChapEditGfd...
    You think it would be better to 'keep the last settings'?
    Or have own 'preferrences' within ChapEditGfd?

>But also the text is thickened...
    Probably due to blurring. Try it with use blur=off.

'Test mode' is on my 'to do' list... But it will take some time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your responses.

But just ran into a real problem.

I authored a disk using Muxman and all 6 titles were very out of sync. After extensive hair pulling and reworking I eventually tried the same files with DVDauthor. That worked perfectly....

Possibly relevant: the earlier disk I did with Muxman was 25 fps PAL. The problem was with 23.976 with pulldown NTSC, produxed by HCEnc.

Quite likely my files are imperfect or out of spec in some way, but I'd rather be able to watch them regardless.
    So I'll revert to DVDauthor mode from now on.
    Quote Quote  
  7. NTSC should be renamed to something like CReatesAlwaysProblems...
    Could you give me some info how you have encoded the file with HC? Maybe I can reproduce the error and ask mpucoder...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Source Avi with VBR MP3 sound.

Code:
    401.avs:
    AVISource("401.avi")
    LanczosResize(704,480,0,0,624,352)
    AddBorders(8,0,8,0)

HC command line:
    P:\HCenc\HCenc_019 -i P:\DVD\401.avs -o s:\mpg\401.m2v -ini P:\DVD\4a.ini

4a.ini:
    *LOGFILE          s:\mpg\henc.log
    *BITRATE          1730
    *MAXBITRATE       8000
    *PROFILE          best
    *PULLDOWN
    *MATRIX           qlb
    Used Besweet directly on the AVI to convert to MP2.
    But also tried vdubmod, extract WAV; same result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by borax
    >The setting for ChapEditGfd...
    You think it would be better to 'keep the last settings'?
    Or have own 'preferrences' within ChapEditGfd?
    I think "keep last setting". You could reflect that to a preference too if you wanted.

>But also the text is thickened...
    Probably due to blurring. Try it with use blur=off.
    I don't have blurring on that I can tell, I see only one mention, under "menu and background properties" and that's off. Also, "Blur" does not appear to be in the help, no idea what it does.
    And on that screen, another typo: "Transparenz" should be "Transparency".

'Test mode' is on my 'to do' list... But it will take some time.
    OK. But it doesn't have to be very functional, just a slideshow of all the menu screens would do.

Also, I notice that these are created first as PNG files. I experimented a little and found that using PNGs for background graphics seemed to give the best results (better than JPEG or GIF anyway).
    Quote Quote  
  10. ..."keep last setting". Ok, then I will include a checkbox in GfD for just "keep last settings for ChapEditGFD" on/off.

Blur is new and therefore not yet in the helpfiles. It's a function that 'averages' pixels to reduce flicker (in particular for still menus). It also uses some kind of 'antialiasing' for the highlights, which is not used if Blur=off.
    See also: http://www.edithouse.com.au/information/graphics.html

...thickened text: Then try it with blur=on.
    Here is a picture (zoomed to 300%) to show the difference (above: No blur, below: Blur 1.5):

As you can see, the text has antialiasing in each case (this is done by windows automatically). Without blur, GFD uses a simple 'max color' function for the highlight. This may look thickened. With blur the text has not only antialiasing, but is also mixed with the background to reduce flicker. The highlight is also more 'smooth'. The problem hereby is that for the highlight you only have 3 colors. Therefore a quite complicated quantize function is necessary to calculate such a highlight picture.

>"Transparenz" should be "Transparency". Ok.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a function that 'averages' pixels to reduce flicker (in particular for still menus). It also uses some kind of 'antialiasing' for the highlights, which is not used if Blur=off.
    Makes more sense now. This may be useful with smaller or more decorative fonts, which are generally unattractive and illegible due to flicker otherwise.

I've been just using the frame for highlights and no text effect, to avoid the thickening.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few bugs i noticed with using muxman. I created two subtitle streams with subtitle creator: letterboxed and wide (*.sup), added them to my projet as subtitle 1 and subtitle 2. After gfd finished compiling my projet those two seperate streams are show like one - they are overlapping and although i choosed languge for those two streams, they are shown as unknown (well actually only one stream is available to choose).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lennu
    A few bugs i noticed with using muxman. I created two subtitle streams with subtitle creator: letterboxed and wide (*.sup), added them to my projet as subtitle 1 and subtitle 2. After gfd finished compiling my projet those two seperate streams are show like one - they are overlapping.
    I've used Muxman stand-alone to author a few disks, and it handled multiple subtitles correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    I've used Muxman stand-alone to author a few disks, and it handled multiple subtitles correctly.
    Yes, I know, but the freeware version don't support multiple titles... i need that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lennu
    Originally Posted by AlanHK
    Yes, I know, but the freeware version don't support multiple titles... i need that.
    My point is that since Muxman alone can handle multiple subtitles, that making it do so via GFD should not be impossible.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 1. No problem to use multiple subtitles with the freeware version, only the GUI doesn't support it.
    2. For subtitles the language codes need to be lowercase (for audio streams uppercase works )
    => Will be fixed soon.
    3. I had no problems with multiple subtitles for 4:3 material.
    4. For 16:9 material it seems to be necessary to specify the Display Mode (ATM GfD only sets everything to 'Display Mode=unspecified')
    According to the muxman help files the following values are possible (in Item=Sub-Picture Stream):
    Display Mode=unspecified | Letter | Pan | Letter/Pan | Wide | Wide/Letter | Wide/Pan | Wide/Letter/Pan

For 16:9 material you need to use the correct settings, otherwise strange results (depending on the player) may occur...
    I will add a dropdown listbox within the subtitle format dialog for this purpose. The default value (for 16:9 only) will be set to 'Display Mode=Wide/Letter' (worked good in my tests)

For the time beeing, you need to enter the the correct settings manually with the 'Edit author.xml file before DVD creation process' function: Scroll down to the 'Item=Sub-Picture Stream' section, replace Display Mode=unspecified with Display Mode=Wide/Letter (or one of the above values if you think these fit better for your stream). And change the language setting from 'Language=EN' to 'Language=en' (or =DE to =de...). You have to do this for every Item=Sub-Picture Stream.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Update to GfD099_GfM021
    - The default value for subpicture Display Mode is set to 'Display Mode=Wide/Letter' (for 16:9 only)
    - For subtitles the language codes are lowercase
    Quote Quote  
  18. Update to GfD099_GfM022:

- Left/Top values for buttons, labels, images... may be edited in the project explorer.
    -- Does not work for 'old' saved projects
    - Fixed a bug if 'animated menus' is activated in a 'non empty' project (with more than just the mainmenu)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Update to GfD099_GfM024...
    New function: Chapter Playlist(s). Can be used to show selected chapters only or (i.e. for audio only titlesets) play chapters/titles in a different sequence. The function can be found in the menu topic 'Insert' - Chapter Playlist
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Borax ,
    Wonderful tool of yours this GfM .
    One thing I am missing though is the audio delay settings.
    Here take a look at Muxman 0.15P free.

Look at the red rectangle .
    That's option is there because there are times when you need to resync the audio with the video.
    When you decrypt it and then you save the DGIndex D2V project file demuxing the audio you get an index file (*.d2v) and most probably an DD file (*.ac3).
    Take a look at the name of the *.ac3 file.
    It clearly states the delay between the video and the audio.
    Take a Hollywood movie for example.
    I have Catwoman and Batman Begins in PAL DVD.
    I want to backup those two movies in a single DVD-5.
    While Catwoman doesn't have any delay error, Batman Begins have a -8ms delay error.
    It's not much 8 miliseconds but I have other movies with as much as 150ms and believe me you can see 150ms of audio desync.
    Could you please investigate if it is possible to add audio delay setting to GfM?
    I find it a must .
    Cheers

EDIT
    But, I would be glad if I could mux my movies with Muxman all alone and in the end joining them in the same DVD with GfM.
    That way I could set the audio delays directly in Muxman.
    But I don't think I can load a set of VTS files in GfM... .
    All help will be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hi john3voltas,
    welcome on board!

Ok, I will do it. For the time being, you can either edit it manually in the mxp file: Activate 'Edit xml ...' in the default project settings, after 'Create DVD' you can see (and edit) the mxp file in a simple editor. Find the section:
    Code:
    		Item=Audio Stream
    		{
    			Stream Number=1
    			Language=en
    			Language Extension=1
    			Item=Audio Play
    Add a line with your delay like:

Code:
    		Item=Audio Stream
    		{
    			Stream Number=1
    			Language=en
    			Language Extension=1
    			Delay=150
    			Item=Audio Play
    Do this for all titles.
    Click on 'Save and Go'

Another possibility is using delaycut.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Borax :P
    I'll try it out ASAP.
    But I'm facing another problem.
    I have 2 reencoded movies with m2v, ac3 and sup.
    When I load them in GfM it shows me a big green bar followed by a small yellow bar and then followed by a small red bar.
    I would say that it is telling me that my project is needing more than the 4480MB by DVD specs.
    But in all honesty, if I sum all the items I get below that ceiling.
    Look:
    Code:
    Batman Begins
    video-2.009.417KB
    audio-377.687KB
    sup-2.428KB
    subtotal=2.389.532KB

Catwoman
    video-1.831.940KB
    audio-281.142KB
    sup-1.352KB
    subtotal=2.114.434KB

total should be=4.503.966KB=4.398MB<4.480MB
    I'm using a non-advanced menu just with a text button saying play batman and another one saying play catwoman.
    Even with muxing overhead I can't see how my 4398MB can go beyond the target 4480MB.

Also I found something this is a bit...shall I say frustrating if you dont mind.
    That is, when I load an m2v I setup an audio track and a sup file and then I get to change the language for the audio and subs on two distinct combo boxes in a very similar way that can be found in Muxman itself.
    But the languages in those combo boxes are not listed in any order.
    Yesterday I know it was 3am and that I was veeeery tired but it took me maybe 5 minutes to find the "PT (PORTUGUESE)" for my subs.
    I was begining to think that Portuguese was not on the list .
    Maybe you can put this wish back on the very bottom of your list?
    I mean, to put both the audio and subs country list ordered alphabetically.
    It would be a must if it would actually work like Muxman .
    In Muxman if I press the 'E' key on my keyboard the combo moves automatically to "English en".
    Or if I press the 'P' key the combo moves automatically to "Pashto ss" and if I press again it moves to "Persian fa".
    This way I keep pressing 'P' until "Portuguese pt" appears .
    Also I saw the button and background collections on GfM main page.
    Could you please tell me where I could find more, especially backgrounds since I'm more than satisfied with the buttons.
    Last but not least: where is that donations button? I mean, you do have one don't you?
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  23. 1. The bar graph is just a 'hint'. The 'as good as possible' calculation is in the first node of the project explorer: TotalSize(MB)=...
    2. The mux overhead can be that large... A thumb rule from myself (the same calculation is used in GfD):
    Totalsize_in_MB = Videosize_in_MB + Audiosize_in_MB + (VideoDuration_in_seconds * 0.011)
    Assuming ~ 90 minutes for each film this adds ~120 MB

Language list...
    The list is alphabetically, except for the first entries: EN, DE, FR, ES as these are the most common. The rest is alphabetically ordered, but for the languages, not the codes. You can enter 'P' 3 times on the combo to get to PT (Portuguese) in GfD too.
    BTW: GfD was/is not programmed to be 'similar' as the MuxMan GUI, as the code is older than MuxMan itself...

Backgrounds: I don't have free resources. But the net is full with images, cliparts...
    For private use these images are most times freely usable. But it's not allowed to 'redistribute' those images.

Last... No, there is no donations button. But you can donate here on videohelp:
    https://www.videohelp.com/donate
    as my project is hosted for free on their server.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. The bar graph is just a 'hint'. The 'as good as possible' calculation is in the first node of the project explorer: TotalSize(MB)=...
    Nice! I hadn't noticed that yet .
    2. The mux overhead can be that large... A thumb rule from myself (the same calculation is used in GfD):
    Totalsize_in_MB = Videosize_in_MB + Audiosize_in_MB + (VideoDuration_in_seconds * 0.011)
    Assuming ~ 90 minutes for each film this adds ~120 MB
    Damn, that much ?
    I thought it would be way lower than that, maybe around 25MB per each title...
    I guess the only way is to try it out.
    If it works, wonderful I got away with it :P.
    If not, I'll reencode it because I just don't like transcoders.
    Language list...
    The list is alphabetically, except for the first entries: EN, DE, FR, ES as these are the most common. The rest is alphabetically ordered, but for the languages, not the codes. You can enter 'P' 3 times on the combo to get to PT (Portuguese) in GfD too.
    Man! Didn't I tell you I was veeeeery tired :P.
    Just how did that slipped through my fingers?
    Cool, at least this won't be a problem in the future .
    BTW: GfD was/is not programmed to be 'similar' as the MuxMan GUI, as the code is older than MuxMan itself...
    I see, you go way back to the times when there was only dvdauthor/dvdauthorgui/dvdstyler.
    And that's why I can find some GUI differences between Muxman and GfM.
    Backgrounds: I don't have free resources. But the net is full with images, cliparts...
    For private use these images are most times freely usable. But it's not allowed to 'redistribute' those images.
    Forget it, I already found a couple of images on my PC that will do just fine as mainmenu background.
    But thanks anyway .
    Last... No, there is no donations button. But you can donate here on videohelp:
    https://www.videohelp.com/donate
    as my project is hosted for free on their server.
    Hmmm, I'll think about it.
    Though, I wouldn't hesitate pushing a paypal button if it was your's .
    Cheers Borax
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd just like to say that however efficient and standards compliant Muxman is, I won't be using it again. It always messes up sound sync with my NTSC files (though PAL is okay). Whereas using DVDAuthor is fine. So please don't drop support for that.

Especially as you can't change the encoder after loading files; I have to rebuild the whole project if I accidentally start in Muxman mode.

Also, some of the typos I mentioned earlier are still in the latest builds ("Subtitels" in the file load screen).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's bad.
    And don't take me wrong but instead of just stop using it you should advise with Borax, tell him under which circumstances that happened and have it reported to Mpucoder if needed.
    Anyway this sounds silly to me because muxman is used by a huge amount of NTSCland people and I don't see them complaining at D9.
    Nevertheless it could be something specific with either your system or your project and it must be reported to Borax/Mpucoder otherwise these tools won't develop in the right direction.
    Just my 0.02€.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I won't stop support for dvdauthor - why should I? But there are some things which are quite easy to to with MuxMan (like support for wav files, playlists...) and very hard with dvdauthor. On the other hand there are several things where MuxMan 'fails' completly, like non standard resolutions, different audio bitrates in one title, text based subtitles (I will fix the typo in the next built, I promise it!)... Therefore I will probably always support both engines.
    Concerning your sync problem: Either report it to mpucoder yourself, or tell me how I can reproduce this error (with freely available sources like film trailers). Without a reproducible sample, nobody can debug the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @AlanHK
    Oh, and just for the record I wasn't implying that Borax should drop dvdauthor support .
    Instead I was just expressing that he shouldn't drop Muxman support.

@all
    I wouldn't say that Muxman fails on non standard resolutions or different audio bitrates in the same VTS.
    As you well know Muxman is based on standards and the standards don't allow for SVCD or LaserDisc resolutions.
    And standards only support CBR audio all in the same bitrate as long as it is in the same VTS.
    As for subs, well it does support them but only in the well known SUP graphical format.
    One can easily use Pgcdemux or Rejig to extract the subs and then apply them in Muxman or DfM.
    But if one really needs to change something in the original subs then they can easily:
    - use Subrip to extract the subs to text format
    - run them in winword or openoffice word spell checkers
    - make any needed changes in the text
    - and finally load the text subs in SubtitleCreator to save them as SUP again
    You know this is just like the theory of the glass of water: either half full or half empty .
    Anyway, Borax, keep up with your amazing work
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I won't stop support for dvdauthor - why should I? But there are some things which are quite easy to to with MuxMan (like support for wav files, playlists...) and very hard with dvdauthor. On the other hand there are several things where MuxMan 'fails' completly, like non standard resolutions, different audio bitrates in one title, text based subtitles (I will fix the typo in the next built, I promise it!)... Therefore I will probably always support both engines.
    Concerning your sync problem: Either report it to mpucoder yourself, or tell me how I can reproduce this error (with freely available sources like film trailers). Without a reproducible sample, nobody can debug the problem.
    Sync problem: happens every time I use a 23.976 fps AVI file and then HCenc, whether I use internal or external pulldown to make it 29.997fps. Sound is MP3 in the AVI, converting the audio directly with BeSweet to MP2. These files work fine with GfD in DVDAuthor mode, but sync is WAY out in Muxman, several seconds, and also fails using stand-alone Muxman.

Let me know if you want me to upload some files for you to try.

Anyway, I thought you were working towards replacing DVDauthor with Muxman completely, after all it must be a pain to support two different engines. If that's not the case, I'm quite happy using the "old" engine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by john3voltas
    I wouldn't say that Muxman fails on non standard resolutions or different audio bitrates in the same VTS
    Did I say "fail"? If I did, make it ""rejects".

I'm not judging it a failure in any sense, but it doesn't work on many of my files, so I'll just use something else.
    Quote Quote