Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tvholic
    This works for me (on the main title menu):
    Code:
    button=s4*1024;
    I tried this, put it as a Pre Command; but doesn't seem to work. Should it be a Post?

It takes half an hour to rebuild and 10 minutes to burn, so trial and error is a bit tedious...
    Quote Quote  
  2. ...but doesn't seem to work...
    Could you be a little bit more specific?
    Like: After playing the title no button is highlighed, always the first, always the last, random...
    Or does it work in a soft player, but not on a stand alone player?

It takes half an hour to rebuild and 10 minutes to burn
    For such tests I use a saved project with 3 or 4 streams of about 20 seconds.

@tvholic
    The correct pre command should be:
    Code:
    {  if (g1 eq 0) { button = 1024;} else  { button = g1*1024;} }
    So the last } is missing.
    I have already changed it. New version asap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My error was: clicking on any button which should start a feature just returns to the main menu. Nothing plays.

So looking at the code samples, I tried:

Code:
    g1=1; button=g1*1024; 
    button=s4*1024;
    And this appears to work.

Adding the first line makes the difference. But I don't understand it. What does it do? What is g1? Why doesn't the second line just set the button state regardless?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It depends on the overall structure... As described here:
    http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/Variables_concept.html
    the register g1 is used to distinguish between direct film start and titleset menu start. If g1 isn't set to 1 and no titleset menus are designed, nothing happens, as the empty titleset menu is started, which just returns to the main menu.
    Code:
    g1=1;
    button=s4*1024
    should work the same.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Alan, I would suggest pressing the Calc Standard button in the menu Pre command properties, and changing the text "button=g1*1024;" to "button=s4*1024;". Leave the rest of the command as it is (ie, the "g1=1;"). g1 and s4 are both variables holding title selection values, but s4 may be more useful to use at that point. If it doesn't behave properly, try entering the lengthier code that borax suggested.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by borax
    It depends on the overall structure... As described here:
    http://download.videohelp.com/gfd/Help/Variables_concept.html
    the register g1 is used to distinguish between direct film start and titleset menu start. If g1 isn't set to 1 and no titleset menus are designed, nothing happens, as the empty titleset menu is started, which just returns to the main menu.
    Code:
    g1=1;
    button=s4*1024
    should work the same.
    OK. However though I didn't set g1, I didn't have a menu (if "titleset menu" means the usual main menu listing the titles), and nothing could be started by screen or remote buttons.
    But it is working now after setting g1.

Some questions arising:
    Is there any other documentation for the "Edit VM commands" screen, other than the "Variables concept" page mentioned?

The "Pre Commands" section is initally blank. However, it seems that it in effect contains some necessary commands, which I must explicitly include if I write any code there -- i.e., the "g1=1".
    Or is that what the "Calc standard" button does? Where is that explained?
    Are there any default "Post" commands?

If that's right, would it be possible to show the commands that are there by default; at least users would be aware they had to keep or modify them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. "titleset menu" means the usual main menu
    No, titleset menu means titleset menu. If 'Use titlesets' is enabled, GfD automatically creates a titleset menu for each film. Have a look at the project explorer... Each time you drop a video on the main menu (which is part of the VMGM domain in DVD 'language') a titleset menu is also created (in DVD 'language' this is a VTS domain; in GfD the naming convention is 'Titleset1Menu', 'Titleset2Menu'...). A titleset menu is something like a'top menu' for the corresponding film. It can be used for chapters or as 'root' for special other menus (audio/subtitle/chapter/angle). For MultiVTS DVDs ('Use titlesets' is enabled) titleset menus are mandatory, even if these are not used (empty).
    Or is that what the "Calc standard" button does? Where is that explained?
    That's exactly what the "Calc standard" button is supposed to do. It calculates the standard command according to the current settings (start + end actions from to the default project settings). As the default project settings may be changed, "Calc standard" can give you different results. And yes, there may also be default "Post" commands. But these may be different for the last title. "Calc standard" sets just the commands like they would be used if you click on 'Create DVD' by GfD itself as a 'snapshot'. If you change settings, or add an additional title/menu the "Calc standard" can lead to a different result. That's why there is no 'fixed' default. The other reason is, that you are complettly free to set up your personnel start/end actions which may not fit to any GfD internal 'standard' setting. The 'Advanced Pre/Post Command Editor' functionality is new and therefore not yet documentated anywhere ATM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    New comment/req:

When selecting subtitles you can choose the style. I notice the format is now remembered; thanks.
    I still recommend that CP1252 be also labelled "ANSI", but I've mentioned that before. I always have to look it up otherwsie.

When choosing the font, the name of the font file is displayed, not the name of the font. This is fairly clear if it's "Arial.ttf", but not if the filename is more cryptic: "lc______.ttf" (Letter Gothic). I believe it's a standard call to get a font name, as appears on most font menus.

Also, it only appears to allow TTF fonts. I have Type 1 fonts I would like to use here. Is that possible? And Opentype will be a future necessity.
    Quote Quote  
  9. That depends on spumux. I have to give spumux a filename. Of cause there is a standard call to list fonts in windows, and it is used by GfD in the select font dialog of buttons and free texts for example. But I don't know a standard call to get the font file name which is connected with such a font. Therefore, sorry no change. Same for "ANSI", I don't think that spumux will recognize it, but I will try it. Other font types (Type1, Opentype, or even TTC) are not possible. This is a limitation of spumux too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That depends on spumux. I have to give spumux a filename. Of cause there is a standard call to list fonts in windows, and it is used by GfD in the select font dialog of buttons and free texts for example. But I don't know a standard call to get the font file name which is connected with such a font. Therefore, sorry no change. Same for "ANSI", I don't think that spumux will recognize it, but I will try it. Other font types (Type1, Opentype, or even TTC) are not possible. This is a limitation of spumux too.
    By that I suppose you mean that this dialog exactly reflects the arguments sent to spumax and you can't display a more user-friendly explanation.

OK.

Now a related question, the same dialog:

I just made a project with two features, one NTSC, one PAL. Each with subtitles as SRT files.
    Video and audio sync were okay. But the PAL feature had its subtitles way off, both in position and time.

Eventually I noticed the last section of the subtitle dialog: width, height, fps.
    I had never noticed these before, assuming they were set from the video properties.
    However, perhaps as a side-effect of the new "make default" button for the formatting, now I saw that the PAL feature had width=720, height=480, fps = 29.97, as for the NTSC feature.
    I had clicked "make default" to save the font style and encoding.
    So I changed these to 720, 576, 25 and the subs were okay in both features.

I think that these last three settings should be always set initially following the video properties regardless of other defaults. I don't see a need for the user to ever change that, perhaps those settings don't even need to be exposed.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...and you can't display a more user-friendly explanation.
    Or let's say it like this: The efford to manually link the fonts from a Windows font dialog to the filenames would be horrible...
    The only 'hint' I could probably offer you, is a 'font preview' function: If you double-click on a font file name in this dialog, a preview opens (IIRC there is a standard function for this purpose in Windows).
    For the other problem (last three settings should be always set initially following the video properties): It should be like this (that's what I indended to program...). If not, that's a bug. I will check asap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...and you can't display a more user-friendly explanation.
    Or let's say it like this: The efford to manually link the fonts from a Windows font dialog to the filenames would be horrible...
    The only 'hint' I could probably offer you, is a 'font preview' function: If you double-click on a font file name in this dialog, a preview opens (IIRC there is a standard function for this purpose in Windows).
    A preview window showing the font, colour, size, might be helpful if it's not too much trouble. It seems odd that is easier to do than just retrieving the menu name though.... .
    I guess most people leave it at the default Arial, awful as that is.
    (See http://screenfont.ca/fonts/today/interim/Arial/ and http://screenfont.ca/fonts/today/interim/ for some alternatives.)
    Though if I want to do anything elaborate, even just showing italics, I'll make SUP bitmaps externally.

For the other problem (last three settings should be always set initially following the video properties): It should be like this (that's what I indended to program...). If not, that's a bug. I will check asap.
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure it is buggy.
    I think when you get these right you can hide them; anyone who really wants to set them differently from the actual video can edit the XML.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A new subtitle problem.

I've got an NTSC VCD and extracted MPEG1 and converted the audio to author DVD. I've done this before and generally it works.

Now I want to add subtitles to one. (VCD is in Chinese, no English subs.)
    I have an SRT file and loaded that. However, during creation spumax kept crashing with "word too long" messages.

Also, in the "subtitle format dialog" the default width was shown as 704 when the actual file is 352x240. I changed that to the correct value.

So I gave up on that and used Subtitle Creator to make a SUP file.
    That worked more or less.

However, the postion is too high in the screen. Is the position of a SUP subtitle defined in the SUP file, or in gfd? Or an IFO file?

The colours were also weird; black text with white outline. (I think I can fix this by referring to an IFO file.)
    I thought I could use DVDsubeditor to fix the postions and colour in the VOB set, however it seems unable to work with files from MPEG1.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Yes, the position of a SUP subtitle is defined in the SUP file.
    The colours were also weird; black text with white outline. (I think I can fix this by referring to an IFO file.)
    You can also load the SUP file in my SupViewer to show/adjust the colors (export the palette and import it in GfD).
    Quote Quote  
  15. ...Subtitles problem (last three settings should be always set initially following the video properties): Should be fixed in version 0.99.29 (see first post in this thread)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    And I see a new version of DVDAuthor is just out....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, but there is more or less nothing 'new' as GfD uses the 0.6.12 version (ok, the beta, but nervertheless) already for quite a long time...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Here is the recompiled new dvdauthor package (0.6.13). It includes the GfD specific changes:
    - Default for mp2 audio files is 16 bit (not 20)
    - Default display mode for 16:9 material (on a 4:3 TV) is 'letterboxed'
    - Win98 compatible spumux syntax
    - A user defined palette may be used for subtitles with spumux (normally spumux 'insists' on using its own colors)
    Download: http://www.boraxsoft.de/other/DVDA13.ZIP

So far I didn't find any errors in this new version, but no 'improvements' either (compared with the latest package: 0.6.12-alpha-2992-GfD-5)
    Quote Quote  
  19. Updated dvdauthor package (0.6.13). See previous post.
    Updated GfD version (0.99.0030).
    Bugfixes: Using a windows screen resolution of 16 Bit colors ('HighColor') caused no/wrong Highlight; ChapEditGfD crashed with path length > 128 char;
    New: Show font (subtitles format dialog);
    See first post in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few observations I've made:

TYPO: Default settings -> Project -> Loop with jump menu -> tooltip "if activ..."

BUG?: Creating an animation, I get this error from avisynth: Error initializing audio stream decompression: The requested conversion is not possible. Check to make sure you have the required codec. (c:\temp\mmscript.avs, line 19)
    Line 19 is as follows: title2=AVISource("D:\UpcomingVideos\DVDVol2\Beatma niaIIDX-Remembrance.avi").ConvertToRGB32().Crop( 0, 0, -0, -0).bilinearresize( 160 , 128).Loop()
    The codec in question is the radium mp3 codec, but it happens no matter what avi I use. Having GFD add "audio=false" to the avisource seems to fix it. I don't see any reason why an animation should need sound anyway. The same thing is true of the main background animation, since the audio is given in a separate entry on the settings, and this will mess up the script if you have to do something like asssumefps (see bug below) on the main animation.

BUG: The frame rate of the main background animation is not being corrected prior to being passed to the encoder. The end result (with QEnc, at least) is a main menu video with the same frame rate as the original clip, not 29.97 or 24 or 25FPS as it should be. Consiquentially, muxman chokes when it tries to mux the video. Also, the assumeFPS() commands should be changed to "ntsc_video", "ntsc_film", "film", or "pal_video" rather than giving the explicite framerate is it does now, due to changes in how avisynth rounds the frame rate in 2.57.

BUG?: When using this image as a background: http://herajin.psychicvinyl.com/MM1Backg.png under the old muxer, The script gets to the point where it is piping png2yuv to mpeg2enc, and the process just seems to hang. Mpeg2enc is definatly running, but it just sits there using up CPU time, never writing anything. I let it run as long as a half hour, and I don't think it should take that long for a 1 frame background to be written.

Here is what the script outputs at this point:

*creating MM1back.m2v
    10 [main] ? 3016 _dll_crt0: internal error: couldn't determine location of
    thread function on stack. Expect signal problems.
    INFO: [png2yuv] Parsing & checking input files.
    INFO: [png2yuv] Image dimensions are 720x480
    INFO: [png2yuv] Movie frame rate is: 29.970030 frames/second
    INFO: [png2yuv] Non-interlaced/progressive frames.
    INFO: [png2yuv] Frame size: 720 x 480
    INFO: [png2yuv] Now generating YUV4MPEG stream.
    10 [main] ? 3168 _dll_crt0: internal error: couldn't determine location of
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Selecting DVD output profile
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to C:\temp\GFD\MM1Backg.m2v
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 480 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 2 = 4:3 display
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 4 = 30000.0/1001.0 (NTSC VIDEO)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 7000 KBit/s
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Quality factor: 1 (1=best, 31=worst)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Field order for input: none/progressive
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Sequence unlimited length
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Search radius: 16
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP SIZE RANGE 9 TO 18
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting colour/gamma parameters to "NTSC"
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Progressive format frames = 1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting hi-res intra Quantisation matrix
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting hi-res non-intra quantiser matrix
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Buffering 45 frames
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING 3DNOW and EXTENDED MMX for QUANTIZER!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX for TRANSFORM!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!

BUG: When using Qenc 0.71, the command line options have changed, and "mpeg2" is no longer a valid option. I think it needs to be changed to "-mpeg2mux noaudio" to work. Even better, add an option to change the default command line for the encoders in the options menu, to prevent this sort of thing from happening again in the future.

BUG: No matter how long the loop time is set for on the main menu, the way the avisynth script is written, the encoder always encodes the entire length of the background video. So even on a 10 second loop, it will encode a 60 minute background the whole way! Adding "trim(0, length)" to the end of the avisynth script fixes the problem. (:

REQUEST: Let the Intro movie be re-encoded just like any animation would, rather than requiring it to already be MPEG2. I can't imagine this would be too difficult, just create a separate avisynth script for it.

REQUEST: More consistancy on the tree view. You can right click on the backgrounds to get their properties, but not buttons or images, for example. It would be better to be able to get the properties of any item by right clicking.

Just noticed that there's a new beta, so I'll see if it fixes any of these. Anyway, I'm sure most of this can be fixed relativley quickly, so thank you very much for the great work you've done so far!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Quite a long list...
    Typo: "if activ..." Will be fixed in the next version.

Concerning Avisynth and avi files:
    My only intention to support avi files at all was the possibility to have transparent animations (using 32 bit avi files created by Cool3D, Blufftitler...) for motion menus. I’ve not even thought about using 'movies' in an avi format. Therefore there was no need to suppress an audio stream, as there is none in the mentioned files. But ok, adding a .KillAudio is no problem and will be ‘standard’ in the next version.

...The frame rate of the main background animation
    Normally I would say that it's YOUR concern to have a correct frame rate as source for the animation.
    But as Avisynth changed from 2.55 to 2.57 I will also change the code therefore (the next GfD version will then only support avisynth 2.57 or higher, as otherwise AssumeFPS("ntsc_video") or AssumeFPS("pal_video") would probably crash an older Avisynth version). I will only support/use these two ("ntsc_video" and "pal_video") depending on the project settings, as that's enough for menu creation. I've never had such problems myself, but it is much easier with PAL...

Png problem: I've just created a working menu with your background: http://herajin.psychicvinyl.com/MM1Backg.png without any problems:
    Code:
    *creating MM1back.m2v
       INFO: [png2yuv] Parsing & checking input files.
       INFO: [png2yuv] Image dimensions are 720x480
       INFO: [png2yuv] Movie frame rate is:  29.970030 frames/second
       INFO: [png2yuv] Non-interlaced/progressive frames.
       INFO: [png2yuv] Frame size:  720 x 480
       INFO: [png2yuv] Now generating YUV4MPEG stream.
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Selecting DVD output profile
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to M:\Volume1\Temp\MM1Backg.m2v
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 480 pel
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 2 = 4:3 display
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code:   4 = 30000.0/1001.0 (NTSC VIDEO)
       INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 7000 KBit/s
    The error in the log file:
    10 [main] ? 3016 _dll_crt0: internal error: couldn't determine location of

is usually due to problems with the cygwin environment. As I'm no cygwin specialist either, I cannot really help you in this case. You can try the new 0.6.13 version of dvdauthor (see post above) which includes a new cygwin version too.

Concerning Qenc:
    I've not used Qenc for more than one year now... I think for the next GfD version the same rule applies as for avisynth: The syntax will be adapted and only Qenc 0.71 (or higher if the syntax is not changed) will be supported for the time being.

BUG: No matter how long the loop time...
    As written in the docu you are responsible for the correct length of a background animation. The default is a looping menu. And most people will not be pleased if some frames are lost due to a default trim function. Maybe I will include it as an option.

REQUEST1: Let the Intro movie be re-encoded...
    No. My intention is not an 'all in one package'. Except menus GfD will not encode anything. If I would allow it for the intro, the next request would be to re-encode the videos too. And than people would complain about aspect ratio problems, sync problems...

REQUEST2: More consistancy on the tree view...
    Ok. I will see what can be done without bigger changes in the coding.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! (:

WISH: Using the crop settings on the animation dialog is not entirely intuitive. To wit: The dialog box says (x1,y1,-x2,-y2). Some people <whistles innocently> might be mislead into thinking they were supposed to enter "x100, y100" for example, which makes avisynth cough and die. A simple bit of code to remove any letters entered into the dialog box would make things a bit simpler.

WISH: Specificly targeted blur. This would be handy as a psudo anti-aliasing. Basically, allow blur settings to only apply to one element on a menu. (text, images, etc). I was able to manually simulate this by editing the avisyth files and adding .blur(1, 1) to the end of the StrTitle = and StrMask = lines for the text, for example. It would be handy to have a checkbox in the text/image/background settings to do this automatically, rather than blurring the entire image.

And most people will not be pleased if some frames are lost due to a default trim function. Maybe I will include it as an option.
    Perhaps you can have the program add a .trim to the end of the clip itself IF it is longer than the menu time?

Keep up the great work, guy! (:
    Quote Quote  
  23. Using the crop settings...
    Ok, I will include a check if the values are 'valid' and rise an error message if not.
    Specifically targeted blur.
    Way to complex. I've thought about something similar but as I realized the complexity I simply stopped it...
    Your suggestion has the same disadvantage why I skipped this idea:
    If you blur the StrTitle layer, the 'text pixels' are 'mixed' with the background, but the background is completely black! If you 'layer' this on a white (or very bright) 'real' background, you get dark pixels around the text... not very nice
    To do something like this 'properly', it would be necessary to work with 3 temporary images:
    1. 100% opaque Text on 100% transparent background (32 bit image with alpha)
    2. The 'real' background (24 bit without transparency is sufficient)
    3. The 'specifically' blurred target image (32 bit with alpha, starting with all pixels 100% transparent)

Then you need a blur algorithm to mix the text pixels with the background, and set the alpha values at 0% for all text pixels which have already 100% opacity. Then use the pixels from the background mixed with the pixels from the text, and set the alpha values to 0% for all 'concerned' pixels (all other pixels remain 100% transparent). Then you can add this onto the unblurred background. As you may have a video clip as background, this needs to be done for each image of the clip

Keep up the great work
    THX, I will!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Version 0.99.00.33 (probably the last one before Version 1.00...)

- More consistency on the tree view (at least a little bit)
    - Crop settings check
    - Optional 'Loop + Trim' for background animation
    - Support for NeroCMD version 7
    - New function in ChapEditGFD: CreateCropSUP
    -- Creates a SUP subtitle file which can be used to 'hide' logos/commercials for 16:9 material which was broadcasted in 4:3 with black borders (of cause only for logos/commercials within those black borders)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When i am trying to author dvd with animated menus (animated chapter clips), HC fails with: ERROR, Script error. invalid arguments to function "AssumeFPS"

I auto-created those clips with GFM
    Quote Quote  
  26. Which Avisynth version are you using? Five posts above I have mentioned:
    ...the next GfD version will then only support avisynth 2.57 or higher, as otherwise AssumeFPS... would probably crash an older Avisynth version.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which Avisynth version are you using? Five posts above I have mentioned:
    ...the next GfD version will then only support avisynth 2.57 or higher, as otherwise AssumeFPS... would probably crash an older Avisynth version.

I was using 2.56.

But i have another question. When i create menu with more than one button, for example
    Code:
    Subtitle 1
    Subtitle 2
    None

Main menu
    When i activate button (Subtitle 2 for example), then i have no highlight for other buttons eg. I can't navigate.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi Borax,

Very nice work!

I've added an export all function to DVD slideshow GUI (m2v + ac3 + ssa + txt(chapters)), and would like to suggest to you to add functions for GFD to automatically look for subtitle and chapterpoint files, as GFD does when it finds ac3 files automatically. (looking for files with the same name and different extentions)

And if possible import the font, size and color from ssa files.

It's amazing how you keep improving GFD - it's really a strong piece of software now!

Have fun,
    Tin2tn
    Quote Quote  
  29. @lennu
    Avisynth...

When i create menu with more than one button, for example...
    Could you send me the saved project (or attach it as zip)? It's hard to guess what's wrong from outside...
    BTW: Could you solve the other problem: Wrong m2v duration (GFD/GFM)?
    I would be interested in the used demux program, in order to check the problem myself.

@tin2tin
    ...to automatically look for subtitle and chapterpoint files
    I will see... but i.e. for subtitles there are so many extensions, which one should I prefer?
    import the font, size and color from ssa files.
    I have no idea about ssa files, but maybe I can create some with projectx to analyze the format.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @lennu
    Avisynth...

When i create menu with more than one button, for example...
    Could you send me the saved project (or attach it as zip)? It's hard to guess what's wrong from outside...
    BTW: Could you solve the other problem: Wrong m2v duration (GFD/GFM)?
    I would be interested in the used demux program, in order to check the problem myself.
    I'll send you a private message with links to GFD and muxman project files.
    I solved wrong m2v duration with Mpeg2Schnitt087. Initially I used DVDDecrypter to demux files from DVD.
    Quote Quote