VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. I guess if there's no colorspace conversation then you're right. However, I am doing colorspace conversions to YV12 - for better compression(I can afford a 50gb file but not a 100).

and I guess interlaced material would be a problem that way, right?

Here's something I found:
    Interlacing support not available !! Mail from author...On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 Ben Greenwood(RIT Student) wrote :
    Adding support for interlaced video is on my 'to-do' list for Lagarith, athough I have no idea when it will be implemented. The reason it is not in there yet is that interlaced YV12 is kinda messy to deal with during colorspace conversions. As the posts say, you should be fine as long as you do not do any colorspace conversions within Lagarith when working with interlaced video
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Z-C
    I guess if there's no colorspace conversation then you're right. However, I am doing colorspace conversions to YV12 - for better compression(I can afford a 50gb file but not a 100).
    Then use YUY2 mode. Interlace is not an issue there either. It will be slower than HuffYUV in YUY2 mode but will give a smaller file and the same quality (depending on how he does the RGB to YUY2 conversion).

Actually, I find that Lagarith in RGB mode gives files simalar in size to HuffYUV in YUY2 mode. It varies depending on the particular video though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using ffdshow to play a Huffy avi I captured using the actual Huffy codec and the display looked worse than your screenshot above. Disabling ffdshow and the playback came back to its normal perfection. Here is a screenshot of how I normally have huffy setup. I have no problems.

Why use a codec if you are having trouble with it. Just save the file out as uncompressed. It would probably be faster anyway. If you have the free space, that is.

Have you tried Windows Restore? If you can get behind whatever caused this problem using restore then problem solved. lol

Good luck.

Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks a lot guys Finally things are (starting) to work!

lagarith is fast! I'm very impressed!
    But how come in YUY2 mode it won't have problems with interlaced material, while in YV12 it will?

And my other concern - could someone tell me if this error I'm getting all the time normal: "Dub: I/O thread has not cycled for ten seconds -- possible livelock. (Thread location: 03CCB9A7) ?

The output looks alright I guess, but what's this error?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Z-C
    Lagarith... how come in YUY2 mode it won't have problems with interlaced material, while in YV12 it will?
    In YUY2 mode each scanline is compressed separately. The U and V data is reduced by half but only on the horizontal axis. This doesn't disturb the field relationship.

In YV12 mode, the U and V planes are reduced to half resolution in both dimensions. 2x2 arrays of pixels are averaged together to make one pixel in the U and V planes (eg, a 720x480 frame has a 720x480 Y plane, and 360x240 U and V planes). That means scanlines from different fields get averaged together unless the code has special handling to average together pixels from the same field (ie, every other scanline). See the YUV color formats at fourcc.org for more detail.

Originally Posted by Z-C
    And my other concern - could someone tell me if this error I'm getting all the time normal: "Dub: I/O thread has not cycled for ten seconds -- possible livelock. (Thread location: 03CCB9A7) ?

The output looks alright I guess, but what's this error?
    I see that error now and then. It doesn't seem to cause any problems with the encodings. Don't know what causes it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thank you all for your tremendous help!

jagabo, like always, I appreciate your detailed explanations. You really know how to explain things.
    Lagarith is great. Far faster than the other codecs I tried and seems to indeed provide a MUCH better compression even in RGB.

Finally things seem to work. But I will know for sure in a few hours/1 day from now.

The only issue left is the mpeg2 playback quality. It might be a decoder's fault though.

With Regards,
    Guy
    Quote Quote  
  7. The livelock problem appears to be related to audio:

http://www.misticriver.net/archive/index.php/t-8062.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. jagabo: Thanks . That's weird... I cancelled the the audio stream. but maybe that's the cause - it's looking for an audio stream where it doesn't have it...

EDIT: I guess I'd better open this in a new thread, since it is unrelated to this one, and because my old problem was solved people probably don't look at this message anymore.

So I'd take the opportunity to thank everyone who's helped me. This is the most helpful set of forums I ever encountered(and I don't just refer to video stuff) - usually you find stucked up people in forums, who spend most of their time in ego wars instead of really helping.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Quote Quote