VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. manono,
    The problems are related.... the same even.....so it might involve less going around in circles to continue the discussion in a single thread. If you care to join us over here.... https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/358043-A-comparison-of-AVIsynth-denoise-filters?p=2...=1#post2463389

I've never used BDRB but if the scripts I've seen posted over the years are any indication it often uses DirectShowSource and I think that's the "perspective" Lathe is working from.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    manono,
    The problems are related.... the same even.....so it might involve less going around in circles to continue the discussion in a single thread. If you care to join us over here.... https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/358043-A-comparison-of-AVIsynth-denoise-filters?p=2...=1#post2463389

I've never used BDRB but if the scripts I've seen posted over the years are any indication it often uses DirectShowSource and I think that's the "perspective" Lathe is working from.
    Oh, okay, sorry... I'll go over there.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    So, the only way around that is to create a BDMV folder which my OPPO will play
    Your Oppo also plays DVDs. You can keep it at 720x480 and encode for 16:9 and 23.976fps with soft pulldown applied.

Thus the need to add borders. I KNOW that the AR is not quite right
    That's putting it mildly. Besides which, none of the resolutions (from the script or mentioned in your post) are remotely Blu-Ray compliant.

Normally I would go with a perfect 16x9 ratio (in this case it would be 864x486) BUT... with this particular print, it looks too wide so I'm adding the extra padding on the sides.
    There's some funny business going on, no doubt. Crack In The Mirror is supposed to be 2.35:1 so whoever made the video already took some really big liberties with the aspect ratio.

Maybe then you can help me look into the greyscale thing if that is okay?
    Greyscale()

or:

Tweak(Sat=0,Coring=False)
    Last edited by manono; 19th Oct 2016 at 04:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    So, the only way around that is to create a BDMV folder which my OPPO will play
    Your Oppo also plays DVDs. You can keep it at 720x480 and encode for 16:9 and 23.976fps with soft pulldown applied.

Thus the need to add borders. I KNOW that the AR is not quite right
    That's putting it mildly. Besides which, none of the resolutions (from the script or mentioned in your post) are remotely Blu-Ray compliant.

Normally I would go with a perfect 16x9 ratio (in this case it would be 864x486) BUT... with this particular print, it looks too wide so I'm adding the extra padding on the sides.
    There's some funny business going on, no doubt. Crack In The Mirror is supposed to be 2.35:1 so whoever made the video already took some really big liberties with the aspect ratio.

Maybe then you can help me look into the greyscale thing if that is okay?
    Greyscale()

or:

Tweak(Sat=0,Coring=False)
    Thanks Bro! I will read up on the 'soft pulldown' thing so I can understand it. I'm guessing that you MIGHT mean to run the inverse telecine script to make it progressive, right? Thanks too for the greyscale thing (interesting how tweak does that too with that setting)

I will definitely read up on both of these.

Appreciate it!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    I will read up on the 'soft pulldown' thing so I can understand it.
    It just means for you to add 3:2 pulldown. Some do it through the encoder. Others (me included) do it after the encode using DGPulldown.
    I'm guessing that you MIGHT mean to run the inverse telecine script to make it progressive, right?
    No, I was assuming you made it progressive 23.976fps in the script and encoded it as such in your MPEG-2 encoder. Followed by applying 3:2 pulldown so it outputs interlaced 29.97fps as required for NTSC DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
    I will read up on the 'soft pulldown' thing so I can understand it.
    It just means for you to add 3:2 pulldown. Some do it through the encoder. Others (me included) do it after the encode using DGPulldown.
    I'm guessing that you MIGHT mean to run the inverse telecine script to make it progressive, right?
    No, I was assuming you made it progressive 23.976fps in the script and encoded it as such in your MPEG-2 encoder. Followed by applying 3:2 pulldown so it outputs interlaced 29.97fps as required for NTSC DVD.
    Hmmm..., well this just goes to show that I have some SERIOUS reading to do!

BTW, just to see what it looks like, I ran the now progressive file with the Greyscale() script, and it took out all those funky color patches that were in it! So whatever I do next, I will for SURE include that in the script.

Just a quickie, if I may... When using the Greyscale() script, does it do ANYTHING else to the image? Does it soften it / sharpen it, or have any other byproducts, or does it just take the colour out?
    Quote Quote  
  7. It just takes out the color. Since both Greyscale and Tweak are built into AviSynth, you might consult the Greyscale and Tweak pages on the AviSynth site.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It just takes out the color. Since both Greyscale and Tweak are built into AviSynth, you might consult the Greyscale and Tweak pages on the AviSynth site.
    I will check those out, thank you!
    Quote Quote