VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I just got Dish Network DVR and I'm a little confused. When I talked to the person selling it to me I was told that I could record and watch live tv on the same tv. DVR is set up for duel tuning for 2 tvs. So what I was told is that if I wanted to watch for example something else "live" while tv1 was recording I had to watch tv2. Is this true or not cause if so what is the point of a dvr then if I can't watch another show while recording something. I already couldn't do that with my digital cable box (comcast) if I tried to record something to my vcr. Recording hrs and hrs of programming isn't all that cool if I can't watch thing live and record something else. Anyway what can the DVR 625 do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The way it is currently configured, it is no different from your digital cable box, except that you have the benefits of DVR. As you obviously already know, the 625 has 2 tuners. They can be used as a source for 2 TV's or you can attach both outputs to a single TV. You should be able to get another receiver from Dish for the 2nd TV and use the DVR for only your primary TV. Of course there will be an additional cost.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well thank you for this info and thanks for telling me because it was driving me nuts. Also the cost of another box would not be worth it because well I'm the only one that uses the dvr. Thanks for the response.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not real familiar with the 625, I use a 622. what you really need to do is look in the manual and see if it has single mode and dual mode. With the 622 Dual mode is used to feed two TVs. Single mode is used to feed one Tv set or both TVs with the same programming as well as enable PIP. maybe you could go back and get a 622 if it was just installed. Either way both tuners can record or be used to watch TV even if only one TV set. The installer should have been kept a little longer to be sure you understand operation. If you bought from a phone call rather than calling Dish to order then I can understand the installers hurry. He probably gets paid per install.

Edit: Just looke donline and page 49 (Chapter 3 talsk about using single and udla modes. Link to online version is http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/technology/522/Chapter3.pdf

The 622 is a HDTV DVR that has a third tuner that can record OTA HD content. So if you feed it with a antenna and have HD in your area you could record three shows at once and watch a previously recorded show at the same time.

Another benifit of Dual mode is you can feed TV2 to a VCR/DVD recorder and record away there while you watch another show.

FWIW I believe the TV2 antenna out is stereo sound. It should also have A/V jacks on the back for both TV1 and TV2.

Other nice thing on the 622 is that TV1 output is HDMI,Component and S-Video and composite video all active at the same time.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48 will take you to a forum dealing with the SD dish DVRs.

Good Luck

BTW you should have a swap button on the remote. Try pressing it to switch to the other tuner (works in single mode anyway, never tried it in dual mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TBoneit

it has dual mode and what I was told is that I could watch live tv, but only if the dvr was recording on the 2nd turner. So the other person watching the 2nd tv wouldn't be able to watch live tv. I was told if I record something and it's on the the first turner then all I can watch is something pre-recorded. Which is very strange to me. So your saying i can watch live tv 1st turner and record something to 1st turner at the same time?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Since you are the only one using the DVR put it into single mode.

Set timer(s) watch what is recording or set 1 timer and just go to the guide for example select a show and watch it on the other tuner. In single mode the tuner number doesn't matter and in single mode there is no TV1 or TV2 that has any effect on your watching.

select a channel, hit the swap button, select a channel, hit swap and go back and forth between two shows. In single mode hit the PIP button and have a PIP window. Swap button should work when recording two shows also. Experiment it won't kill the 625. Just do it when something you don't care about is showing.

BTW I never watch live TV, I record everything I want to watch so I can use the 30 second skip to avoid commercials.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Vampsarecool
    TBoneit

it has dual mode and what I was told is that I could watch live tv, but only if the dvr was recording on the 2nd turner. So the other person watching the 2nd tv wouldn't be able to watch live tv. I was told if I record something and it's on the the first turner then all I can watch is something pre-recorded. Which is very strange to me. So your saying i can watch live tv 1st turner and record something to 1st turner at the same time?
    No you can not do two things with one tuner. However you have two tuners.

If it worked like you were told it works who would want it? Dual mode can be useful if you want to feed two Tv sets with different programming at the same time. However you said "Also the cost of another box would not be worth it because well I'm the only one that uses the dvr" What you have with a 625 or a 622 for that matter is equivilent to two boxes in one case that share the same hard drive. What this means is you can record two things at once or watch two live programs at once or one of each or record two programs at one time while watching a different program on TV 1 and another different program on TV2 in dual mode.

Dual mode feed two tvs or a TV and a DVD recorder so you can record something while watching something else. No PIP form the 625 unless you run TV1 and TV2 to different inputs on the same TV and the TV can PIP.

In single mode feed one tv and a DVD recorder where they both see the same programming. Also use PIP from the 625.
    Quote Quote