VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi i was wondering what was the best way to get VHS to DVD. Can i use a capture card? and would this give the same quality as the VHS?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the VHS isn't MacroVision protected, a DVD Recorder, preferably a VHS/DVDRecorder combo unit, seems like the best option.
    For MacroVision tapes, a TBC is needed between player and recorder, which excludes combo units.
    A capture card can also be used - but again, a TBC is essential, even for MacroVision free tapes.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.
    I was going to post a similar question myself. Right now I own
    a Canopus ADV 300 and am trying to get some VHS tapes (library lectures)
    dumped into my PC for editing and cleanup. I am using a JVC HR-S3600U with the
    SVHS cables into the Caopus. The problem that I am having is that the
    capture quality is very bad. When I do a A/B from the VHS tape to the DVD dump on a
    televison the captured video is very dull, blury, and very much degraded from
    the VHS tape. Will a DVD recorder do a better job with this conversion then what I
    am using now. If not does anybody recomend something that can give me a better
    transfer?

Thanks!

Todd
    Quote Quote  
  4. Video capture cards just capture video. Many DVD recorders have Time Base Correction and Video enhancement filter, so they can give you a better result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. For a straight copy (no fancy editing of the VHS before dumping to DVD), I agree - a DVD recorder. $99 from places like Best Buy. Just connect the VHS output and press record on the DVD recorder.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  6. Even for video need editing, Good DVD recorder can get you cleaner and better video first.

Editing mostly involves removing those borning sections. Tools like TDA and DVDshrink, can get your editing done, and without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone have any recomendations on dvd models? Or do they all have
    relativly the same quality on the capture end?
    Also is it possible to use a DVD-RW and erase it once you have it into the PC?

Thaks

Todd
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok so something like this hooked up to a VCR could do the job?

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50608582

Also what cabels would be needed? Could you just use a scart lead?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think svideo input is something to look for (if your VHS player has svideo output)

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    For a straight copy (no fancy editing of the VHS before dumping to DVD), I agree - a DVD recorder. $99 from places like Best Buy. Just connect the VHS output and press record on the DVD recorder.
    That can't give you as good results as using for example a ADVC300 and proper editing on the computer. Am I wrong isn't this unfair? the best results should also be the hardest...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CCEncoder
    That can't give you as good results as using for example a ADVC300 and proper editing on the computer. Am I wrong isn't this unfair? the best results should also be the hardest...
    The outcome in this case depends very much on user skill and know-how. Far from the "press record and wait" approach.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right now with the Canopus ADVC300, just a simple capture is really degrading the video source by a large amount, even to the point there is nothing that I can do to restore any of the quality once it has been captured. I would like at least to get close to the original
    VHS source tape. With the ADVC300 everthing is very blured and washed out compared to
    the original source vhs tape. Hopefully a DVD burner will get me a better raw transfer.
    Quote Quote