VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello to everybody.
    I would need a help with mp4 file,which is possible damaged.I recorded a video by my mobile.It stopped because an error.It was saved in right way - there is a file,which is 106MB.But it doesn´t play in my mobile even in my computer.I´ve tryed VLM and other programs,but nothing.Do you know if there is any possibilities to rapair it or play it in some player?
    Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go to the TOOLS section ogf this site. Go to Video Repair/Fix section. The freeware tools do as good a job as the other tools no-free tools as per my experience. The best is still the first one called DivFix V1.13
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try one of these tool's

https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=MP4Cam2AVI

Convert to avi for editing

Or super to any format ... even the same ... super has the ability to break through problem's where other tool's fail .

When done , check if the new file play's ok .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    unfortunately...i´ve tryed MP4Cam2AVI - ERROR moov atom not found.
    And SUPER made nothing.Only errors.Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try mp4box or mp4creator. Also maybe Haali or Gabest's splitters can parse it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I´ve tryed yamb with mp4box and with mp4creator.It said to me, The file is truncated.Mayby i don´t know what to do with yamb...culd you explain it to me?I´ve tryed to export it to avi.Here is the message:
    [14:51:40] : Exporting & Converting stream...
    [14:51:40] : Info: atom type pvmm is unknown. Please check usage
    [14:51:40] : Info: atom type etag is unknown. Please check usage
    [14:51:40] : Info: atom type pvti is unknown. Please check usage
    [14:51:40] : Info: atom type dnld is unknown. Please check usage
    [14:51:40] : Info: atom type cver is unknown. Please check usage
    [14:51:40] : Info: atom type rand is unknown. Please check usage
    [14:51:40] : Exporting failed.
    I´m going to try Haali....
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Which program is Haali used with?Could you explain it to me,how to use it?
    Sorry for my stupid questions,but i´m doing it for firs time....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, but the solution to your problem wasn't created until 2008:
    It's Treasured, a free Mac application that diagnose and preview almost any corrupt movie file.

Regards, BJ

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  9. you dredged up a 3 year old post, just to sell your mac software/video service to a pc user?

spam!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AeroQ: Please don't dig up old post and I don't want to see any more movierepair spamming...especially not for windows users...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    delete
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm answering here because this post is still read by a lot of people each day (because it's the first Google entry when you search for MP4 repair) and there wasn't any really helpful answer yet here posted, so I'm trying to give a more detailed help for others.

Why are there corrupt MP4 files at all? The reason is that this format (unlike others) is very sensitive to missing data bytes. Suppose a 3 GB .MP4 movie file is missing only one (!) of those fundamental bytes - it won't play anymore, although 99.99 % of the data is still there.

One can fix these MP4 files using a hex editor (but that requires that you dig deeply into the QuickTime format as the MP4 file format is 99% based on the QuickTime format, you can get the QuickTime file format from Apple). Some tools that you might need to dig into the format:

* QuickTime Atom Viewer (this Windows tool helps you to explore the MP4 format of your corrupt file)
    http://tsviatko.jongov.com/index_prj_quicktimeviewer.htm
    * Apple's QuickTime Dumpster (this Mac tool helps you to explore the MP4 format of your corrupt file)
    https://forum.videohelp.com/attachments/3629-1285662850/dumpster.zip

If you do not want to manually fix your file (it can take hours or days to fully understand the format), some other possibilities are to use ready repair tools - I haven't seen any freeware tools in this area, so you might need to google those tools (for example 'video repair tool' or something else).

I hope this helps more people to be able to repair their MP4 files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the HD Video Repair Utility, you can download at http://grauonline.de for my Iphone video recorder and it works rather good.

The Windows version does not look very stylish- but it seems to do a good job in 75% of my cases. Also be sure that you have installed the proper codec (I use the CCCP-codec pack from http://www.cccp-project.net/).

Regards,
    Christian
    Quote Quote