VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. How can i go about increasing the brighteness of a avi file. Is there anway and what programs can i use?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AviSynth and the RGBAdjust filter - I'm sure there are others. And of course a re-encode.
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t201861.html may help too.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtualdub. Hit File/open your video file, hit CTRL+F then the add tab,
    choose the brightness/contrast filter, have a play around with it. Only downside to this is that you will have to re-encode the file or frameserve to an MPEG encoder.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have tried using Virtualdub to re-encode my video i done about 4 mins of the video and it took 2.2GB of space. The original file is about 800MB. What have i done wrong?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't configure the output codec, and have saved out as uncompressed AVI.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you are playing the AVI on your computer, just turn up the brightness/contrast of your player

If you want to do it as you encode you're AVI file, and you are using AVISynth to frameserve your video, I use a very good filter called HDRAGC which does a good job of automatically increasing brightness/contrast without going to much and saturating the output liek the basic brighness/contrast filters tend to do

It does have option you can use to tweak the filter, but be warned its slow
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope you're still watching this year old thread Steve Ryan... you've given me the answer I want, it is working fine, but I just don't know how to 're-encode the file' or 'frameserve' it.

i.e. I don't know how to keep the new brighter file so's I can burn it to a dvd.

If anyone is still watching this thread can they please tell me?

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In virtualdub just use the file->save avi to create a new avi file. Use a video compression like divx or xvid under file->compression if you want smaller file size.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got it. It seems to be working. It is writing it to my hard drive. Only thing that can go wrong now is if Nero refuses to accept the file for making a dvd. I guess if something like that happens I should try again and choose a different compression?

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You'd be better off frameserving from VirtualDub to an mpg encoder like MainConcept, then just authoring the resulting MPG with a dedicated authoring app like TDA or DVDAuthorGUI. Reencoding a compressed AVI to another compressed AVI loses quality, using Nero to reencode AVI to mpg (which is what Nero does when it creates a DVD from AVI source) is less than optimal.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's fascinating info, thanks for that. I'll look up the software you mention and try to get a handle on how to do it that way.

Am I okay with Nero as my dvd writing tool, though? It is the only thing I've had an real success with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by abrogard
    okay with Nero as my dvd writing tool?
    Yes, as writing tool. But I'd not recommend it for anything else, like converting an AVI into a DVD.
    OTOH, ImgBurn is a better (The best) DVD writing tool and is free, so - I really don'ty see any point in involving Nero at all, at least once you've come to terms with the idea of using dedicated tools for each step of the process.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If that's the case, neither do I see any point.

I've got to Nero mainly because it allows me to create the dvd first - that's 'authoring' I think you call it, isn't it - and seemed to accept files I couldn't get accepted by anything else.

And because I think DVDDecrypt just opens it and uses it, doesn't it?

Given some other way of putting my dvd's together I'll be happy to use different tools for each step, happy in the knowledge that I'm doing a better job.

So what's the story - Virtual Dub is decrypting or uncompressing the .avi to mpeg first, before brightening it, and then encrypting it again back to some compression? And this loses quality at both ends?

And then Nero is going to do it again - decrypt the .avi and make an mpeg? Nero writes mpeg? All dvd's are written in mpeg, maybe?

So could I use TMPGEnc to make an mpg? And then find an mpg editor?

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
  14. 1-open virtualdub mod or virtualdub mpeg2 and open your video
    2- make your adjustments
    3-frame serve the video: file>start frame server
    4-open tmpgenc and open the myname.vdr file you've just created with virtualdub XXX
    5- start converting

themaster1
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that. I'm trying it. But it so far has only created a 1kb .vdr file and the little progress screen reports no activity whatever... maybe it takes some time to get going? looks through the whole file first? this file does have a first frame which throws up that 'nothing to output... bframe.... etc... thing' and I tried once just straight out and then now I have tried again after moving onto the second frame. But no activity there yet, either.

I did it the other way round - trying to make an mpeg from tmpg first and it created two files for me. I picked the right option - dvd movie - and that was the only choice it gave me I think, of varying things.

the two files were an .m2v and a .wav

I was planning to use Movica to then edit the mpeg but movica can't see this .m2v file.

Nor can anything else i've got. So that seemed to be a dead end.

this process of yours seems a better way round - except it is not working - at this time it is still sitting there 'in frameserver mode' and showing no activity at all.

any further clues greatly appreciated....

ab

p.s. I've just been looking at that progress screen and i note it says 'frameclients installed: none'. It couldn't be that's the problem could it? I don't even know what a frameclient is far less how to find and install one.

p.p.s. I've researched further and I now see, I think, that I should expect any progress until tmpg is eating the file.. that's what frameserving is, right? Hmmmm. But tmpg can't seem to see any .vdr files.

Looks like I need to do that client thing.

Only clues I've been able to find on that I found at virtualdub.org and they read:

How do I get Tsunami MPEG Encoder (TMPGEnc) to connect?

The latest versions of TMPGEnc (12a+) should be able to connect automatically through its "AVI VFW compatibility reader" plugin, as long as you have the AVIFile client installed. If that doesn't work, download the ReadAVS VFAPI plugin from the Avisynth applications page, and install it in TMPGEnc's directory. If you already have the ReadAVS plugin installed, try disabling it temporarily, since it sometimes goofs up when the AVI VFW reader doesn't (!).

and unfortunately the link provided for Avisynth apps doesn't go anywhere any more.

I'll search around for 'readavs vfapi plugin'

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so far has only created a 1kb .vdr file and the little progress screen reports no activity whatever...
    That's all you'll see, until you open the VDR file with TMPGEnc (or other encoder). It just sits there, waiting for something to start reading from it. It's called a sign post file - just a delivery point for frames, waiting for someone to come and pick up the frames.
    the two files were an .m2v and a .wav
    m2v is the video, wav is the audio. Most good authoring packages prefer it this way - one video source, one audio source. But you can set TMPGEnc to save a program stream (.mpg) instead of elementary streams.
    When you select Open in TMPGEnc, you only see video file types. Change it to *.* instead, and you'll be able to open the vdr.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, it says 'cannot open or unsupported'

So I tried to install that 'plugin'. But that didn't work either.

Is there another package I could use instead of tmpg?

I got the plugin, or maybe I did, what I got was called: VFAPI plugin for TMPGEnc/AviUtl

and the install instructions went like this:

How to install:
    1. put m2v.vfp and m2vconf.exe into the same folder.
    2. execute m2vconf.exe
    3. select options
    4. push OK button

So I did that and got no result.

so I put the files in the same dir as tmpg and executed m2vconf.exe

Still no result.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try MainConcept instead of TMPGEnc. But TMPGEnc shouldn't have any trouble reading VD frameserver. Have you run "auxsetup" (? Don't have VD right here so I'm a little unsure if that's the name) in the VirtualDub install dir?
    Have you read these guides?
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=virtualdub+frameserve&tools=&madeby=&format...or+List+Guides

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  19. if you can't open the .vdr file with tmpgenc for some reason, install avisynth

1- install the latest avisynth release
    2- follow all the steps and just change the extension of myfile.vdr with myfile.vdr.avs
    3- open myfile.vdr.avs with tmpgenc (video>browse>file type= all files)

themaster1
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the input. I'm getting there slowly but surely.

I did all that and it made a difference. TMPG loaded up the file as a video file and enabled me to press 'start'.

It told me the resolution of the video was illegal. And then it told me the window size was illegal, needed tobe a multiple of 8.

I know nothing at this time about window sizes and where to set that.

I also wonder about the audio stream. What about it?

I set the stream type to ES (video + audio) - was that the right thing to do?

I closed the wizard because it didn't give me an option to pick one file but asked for video and audio - but I got no better options from the main screen itself.

So..... I'm stuck again. But with avisynth installed this time and tmpg prepared to do something as long as I change the video resolution.....

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, Mats, all systems go....

I read the stuff at the link you provided and discovered I needed to run the virtual dub 'auxsetup' as you mentioned. This installed the client I mentioned. Then it was a whole different kettle of fish - I pointed at the frameserving file and it immediately accepted it for both video and audio.

Then did apparently nothing for the longest yonks and then started writing stuff. It is still busy doing it now - maybe four hours later.

I'm still calling the frameserving file 'myfile.vdr.avs ', is that necessary still? Is it superfluous now? Would it cause delay perhaps?

Is this a robust app - I can leave it working in the background and still use my pc? Or would I be better to devote the machine entirely to this job while it is doing it?

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you're doing a VBR 2 pass encode, nothing at all will happen until the progress bar reaches 50% - Then the actual encoding begins. The first 50% is the analyze stage.
    In my experience, the encoding process is very robust - but bog down the CPU to the point where running other apps may prove less than enjoyable.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't actually know what I'm doing, what I did, I'll check it out when I do it again.

I got an mpg file but it won't work.

winamp - the default for .mpg on my machine, 'plays' it without objection but shows no video, no sound.
    windows media player shows a jerky, like vibrating, pic and no sound.
    nero showtime shows a good pic but no sound at all.
    media player classic shows a good pic but no sound at all.
    neuview won't play it but shows a message instead "video error" "audio: ffdshow 4400khz"

Gspot v2.52 reports video codec as MPEG-2 and NOT installed!
    reports audio codec as MPEG-1 layer 2 and IS installed! which sort of suggests it should be heard but not seen. How good is gspot?

So I'm going to do it all again but just leave out the avisynth stuff by leaving off the .avs at the end of the filename.

It took about 13hours for it to create that file. It was about 1G .mpg when it finished and it started with a .7G .avi.

I'm off to do it again. Possibly I'll have nothing to report for another 13hours.

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did much better. A new .mpg file in about four hours. And it plays in mediaplayer classic, though not in winamp. The other players I haven't checked out yet. The quality is much better than the quality of the dvd I burned with my original method: process for brighten in virtual dub and then import to nero.

Only trouble is: Nero says it is unable to import it when I try to create a dvd movie with Nero and import that .mpg file.

I suppose I could just burn it with Imgburn, which I've downloaded and installed for just that job - but don't I need to author a dvd first? If I just burn the .mpg it won't play in a dvd player will it?

And I can't find any clues in Imgburn about how to author dvd's with it.

So I'm getting tantalisingly close, but I'm still not there. I'm going to google around for authoring dvd's ready for imgburn to burn.

If anyone here can help, please do.

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
  25. And I can't find any clues in Imgburn about how to author dvd's with it.
    It's a burning-to-disc app. It doesn't author.
    If I just burn the .mpg it won't play in a dvd player will it?
    That depends on the DVD player. Some will and some won't. If it's DVD compliant, you'd be better off authoring to DVD, I think.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I googled around and I found dvdstyler and I authored with it. Then I burned with Imgburn and it has turned out fine. But it doesn't fill a dvd - it is only about 1.5G, so I'm now exploring putting two iso files on one dvd. In fact I've done it and burned it. But I think there's something wrong because the finished product is smaller than the sum of the two isos I began with.

My original query is answered. Thanks to all who helped. I am off and running...

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Err... You can't write 2 ISOs to the same disk - One ISO, one disk. (Unless you write them as data files to disk for pure storage.)
    The disk space occupied will be a function of what bitrate you used when encoding with TMPGEnc. Use the bitrate calculator.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah... pretty silly of me... Act before I think more and more these days....

Actually I don't think that's what I tried to do. It hardly seems likely, dvdstyler won't accept two iso's - it won't accept one. And Imgburn won't accept two, either. So I think I made a mistake of saying 'two iso' when I meant 'two .mpg'.

The result is the same: not good.

I've now got two .mpg files which I can play with one or other of my players. They are both from avi files that needed brightening up (subject of this thread - and now technically satisfactorily answered) and they're both small enough that it's wasted space devoting a dvd to each one.

Nevertheless I have burned each on to its own dvd and each has successfully burned and plays okay.

But when I try to stick the two together on the same dvd using dvdstyler eveything seems to go okay but the resulting dvd has no sound on the first of them! The second one is fine.

There is something about these files inasmuch as they don't play in ALL of my players. That's unusual in my experience (I'm not heavily into this thing). I think I need a more thorough understanding of these video/sound files and these various formats.

In the meantime if anyone's got an idea of what might be the cause of this non-sound of one of the files please let me know. I assume there must be some sort of mismatch with the two files that causes the sound track for the complete dvd to pick one and leave the other in silence. And the way to fix it is to find a .mpg editor and join the two .mpg files.

Here's a clue to just how ignorant I am of what I'm dealing with here: I don't even know if I've got an .mpg editor. That is I've got software (that I use when directed to) that I don't even know what it is!

Bit of a joke, eh?

regards,

ab
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're probably right in assuming the 2 mpg files have different types of audio. One solution is to put them in separate titles. As I'm not familiar with DVDStyler, I don't know if it supports multiple titles, but it ought to.
    If you add both to the same title, they must have the same audio type.
    The same goes for trying to join 2 video files; video and audio in the parts have to match.
    Good mpg editors are Womble and VideoReDo. But IMO, it's best to leave that to the authoring stage (as you've done). Just make sure all parts have the same audio and video characteristics; both codecs and bitrates.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, sorry if this is a little outdated... looks like you guys started talking about something else, but I'm needing to brighten up a video. I've tried what you guys have said, I did the following

Open the video files, Brighten it, Select Compression type (DivX), and set the audio to Direct Stream.
    What this does for me does work... but the audio is wayyyyyy out of sync and is choppy.
    Another option I tried was to select the audio in Full Processing.. but then it almost doubles the file size.
    Is this normal, or could I select a compression for the audio too? If so which one? I'm not very familiar with working with audio.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote