VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i have a pinnacle 500 USB capture card hooked up to my laptop and want to capture video (obvuiosly).

Problem: I would like to use another program besides Pinnacle 10 to capture, but any other programs i try to use (Capture Flux, Windows movie maker) only find the video, and can't find the card's audio.

Any help on capturing audio from this with a third party application?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ANYONE?????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dem Pyros
    ANYONE?????
    Basic Rule: Whenever you buy a USB2 capture device, you are relying on proprietary drivers. Since hardware manufacturers have short attention spans, most often the software that comes packaged with the product is the one and only program that will ever work with that device.

If the hardware proves to be a massive hit, they may update the software but only if they think it will move more hardware. Their problems are far more important than yours. Just ask them.

If you are stuck, you use their packaged software for capture. Then you are free to use other software to process the captured file.

[nagging teacher mode]
    If you did your homework first, you would know if other software supports that device.
    [/nagging teacher mode]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Plenty of capture programs support the drivers and the device, i just can't figure out how to capture audio from the it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dem Pyros
    Plenty of capture programs support the drivers and the device, i just can't figure out how to capture audio from the it.
    Just because another capture program "sees" the device does not mean that said capture program can actually work with (i.e., capture from ) said device.

Have you found any 3rd party software that specifically mentions support for the Pinnacle 500 USB? If so what capture programs?

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No i haven't which is why I started this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most capture softwares have an Options/Preferences tab where you can select where your audio is coming from, and modify settings.
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by harley2ride
    Most capture softwares have an Options/Preferences tab where you can select where your audio is coming from, and modify settings.
    And if the capture software has no visibility of or driver for the Pinnacle 500 audio, then your only choice is to pick from the list that it does support like the audio card line in. Be prepared for audio sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Originally Posted by harley2ride
    And if the capture software has no visibility of or driver for the Pinnacle 500 audio, then your only choice is to pick from the list that it does support like the audio card line in. Be prepared for audio sync issues.
    Yea, it won't detect the audio for the Pinnacle 500, only a stereo mix and a microphone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As stated hardware MPEG encoders such as the one you have tend to only really work "correctly" when using the supplied capture software.

You can use whatever you like afterwards for post processing.

But you should use Pinnacle 10 (in this case) to do the capture.

Is that so bad?

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    As stated hardware MPEG encoders such as the one you have tend to only really work "correctly" when using the supplied capture software.

You can use whatever you like afterwards for post processing.

But you should use Pinnacle 10 (in this case) to do the capture.

Is that so bad?

No, it just crashes all the time and takes forever to load.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Dem Pyros
    A few thoughts for your consideration---

Your CPU just barely meets requirement for Studio 10, minimum is 1.4 ghz, RECOMMENDED is 2.4 ghz and up.

You also need to have a DirectX-9 video card with minimum 64 mb
    < *dedicated* - I think > memory.
    (this is where my pc fails, I have on-board Intel chip with 128 mb *shared* memory, and Studio 10 is not very stable for me. I have to stay with version 9.35 which works wonderfully well for me.)

I don't want to discourage you, but I think you might have problems trying to run Studio 10. An option might be to try to find Studio version 9.3 or 9.4 on ebay or such. Version 9.35 is considered by many Studio users to be the best option, and you could patch/upgrade to 9.43 for free to test it out, and revert if it didn't suit you.

That being said, I use Dazzle DVC-90 USB2 device, which is no relation to your 500 card. but is also a "proprietary" Pinnacle product.
    Windows Movie Maker won't capture for me at all.

I have successfully used VirtualDubMod and VirtualDub-MPEG2 to capture from vcr and dvd players.
    You could also try AM CAPture no-frills Microsoft utility.
    It works for me ---doesn’t give me audio preview, but audio is there in the captured file, just make sure to select Capture Audio.
    You can access it from Start Menu >> Studio 10 >> Tools.

If you haven’t installed Studio, you can download from HERE, it’s a whole 52 kb !!!!
    This is the FREE old MS tool, NOT the AMCap $12 trialware listed here in videohelp tools.

Most DVD burners have dvd-creation apps bundled with them, such as Sonic MyDvd, WinDVD Creator, or ArcSoft ShowBiz. If you have such software, have you tried using that to capture?

One program, I can't remember which (maybe WinDVD Creator?) didn’t recognise the audio.
    It did work after I went into Windows Sound / Volume control > Advanced Properties, and changed Recording source from on-board audio to DVC-90.

I honestly don’t know if that was a coincidence, or a valid procedure for setting up a capture You could give it a shot, what the heck.

ok, that was a pretty long-winded post, sorry about that.
    Good luck, hope you get it working.

Granny
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grannyGeek
    Hi, Dem Pyros
    A few thoughts for your consideration---

Your CPU just barely meets requirement for Studio 10, minimum is 1.4 ghz, RECOMMENDED is 2.4 ghz and up.

You also need to have a DirectX-9 video card with minimum 64 mb
    < *dedicated* - I think > memory.
    (this is where my pc fails, I have on-board Intel chip with 128 mb *shared* memory, and Studio 10 is not very stable for me. I have to stay with version 9.35 which works wonderfully well for me.)

I don't want to discourage you, but I think you might have problems trying to run Studio 10. An option might be to try to find Studio version 9.3 or 9.4 on ebay or such. Version 9.35 is considered by many Studio users to be the best option, and you could patch/upgrade to 9.43 for free to test it out, and revert if it didn't suit you.

That being said, I use Dazzle DVC-90 USB2 device, which is no relation to your 500 card. but is also a "proprietary" Pinnacle product.
    Windows Movie Maker won't capture for me at all.

I have successfully used VirtualDubMod and VirtualDub-MPEG2 to capture from vcr and dvd players.
    You could also try AM CAPture no-frills Microsoft utility.
    It works for me ---doesn’t give me audio preview, but audio is there in the captured file, just make sure to select Capture Audio.
    You can access it from Start Menu >> Studio 10 >> Tools.

If you haven’t installed Studio, you can download from HERE, it’s a whole 52 kb !!!!
    This is the FREE old MS tool, NOT the AMCap $12 trialware listed here in videohelp tools.

Most DVD burners have dvd-creation apps bundled with them, such as Sonic MyDvd, WinDVD Creator, or ArcSoft ShowBiz. If you have such software, have you tried using that to capture?

One program, I can't remember which (maybe WinDVD Creator?) didn’t recognise the audio.
    It did work after I went into Windows Sound / Volume control > Advanced Properties, and changed Recording source from on-board audio to DVC-90.

I honestly don’t know if that was a coincidence, or a valid procedure for setting up a capture You could give it a shot, what the heck.

ok, that was a pretty long-winded post, sorry about that.
    Good luck, hope you get it working.

Granny
    I can't help if my CPU is slow, i'm running on a laptop and the heat limits it. AM Capture doesn't detect it, and i'm trying Virtual Dub right now.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Dem Pyros View Post
    Hi, i have a pinnacle 500 USB capture card hooked up to my laptop and want to capture video (obvuiosly).

Problem: I would like to use another program besides Pinnacle 10 to capture, but any other programs i try to use (Capture Flux, Windows movie maker) only find the video, and can't find the card's audio.

Any help on capturing audio from this with a third party application?
    sorry to bump such an oldaged post... But I really wonder how did you manage to make Pinnacle 500-USB work with other softwares? I personally tried AMCAP/VirtualDub, and did a search for others' comments, all of them are a nogo. Now you seem to be the only person who claim it to be working with 3rd party software....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Input audio to computer sound card, NOT usb 500. Then select your "sound output" as audio source. No problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That Pinnacle box only works with the Pinnacle software supplied.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not true. I've used it for years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kortmann View Post
    Not true. I've used it for years.
    for what?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Explain your process then.
    Drivers, software, capture codecs/formats/etc

Because I have to call BS on this one.

And if you can prove me wrong, I'd be quite happy about it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To name a few, I use it everyday with a Sony 8mm camcorder as a webcam on Skype. I capture 720 x 480 avi and mpg using WinDVD Creator from any source with component outputs (RCA Red, White & Yellow jacks). Windows Movie Maker and VirtualDub also recognize the USB 500 device. As I said, audio must be input through the computer sound card in all cases EXCEPT Pinnacle software which doesn't give you that option. I have always had audio sync problems w/ Pinnacle Studio and so captured with other programs for edit and burning with Studio.
    Like it or lump it. Name:  very small-no-bull.JPG
Views: 11172
Size:  5.5 KB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDVD and WMM have horrible crap capturing quality, so those are out.
    But the VirtualDub option is accepted.

What drivers have been used with that 500 and which exact model is it? (Or year of production.)
    I've gone through maybe 3-4 Pinnacle boxes in the years, for testing, and none would work in VirtualDub.
    I still have one, circa 2008 or so, came with Pinnacle Studio 11.
    While VDub "sees" the hardware, it will not pull up any video signal whatsoever.
    Quote Quote