VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have many video clips (xvid, 50 min each) and want to convert to either VCD or DVD. I did it to VCD with no problem. But, one thing I didn't like is that I have to swap VCD every 50 min, not alone with so-so picture quality.

I was wondering if I can combine two (or more) clips into a DVD. Would this better? Size wise, I can combine up to 6 clips (700mb each) in one DVD. But, I don't know the quality of the picture. Otherwise, combining only two clips into a DVD might be better for quality?

Also, some of them are xvid (no AC3), and the others are xvid with AC3. How can I combine them (with and w/o ACs) in Virtualdub/TMPEG? It looks like, unlike VCD which requires separate audio processing (to wav. file) in Virtual dub, DVD doesn't do separate audio processing. Please advise me how to do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    i would just add the xvids in divxtodvd and convert to one dvd. about 2-3 hours /dvd might work fine...but you can test with more.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can add several, but some DVD players may not like 2 separate titlesets on the same DVD without a menu. Each AVI is converted to one titleset. So you MAY want to join them first.

I'd suggest VDubMod in audio / full processing mode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your quick posts.

I have some further questions. In terms of picture quality, will DVD (I think initially combining two clips, 700mb, about 50min each, xvid file) be better than VCD (one clip)? Theoretically, I can put up to 6 clips in one DVD. If I could, how about picture quality of a DVD (w/6 clips), as compared with one VCD?

I tried to combine two files in Virtualdubmod. I successfully processed audio 1 & 2 and saved it as wav. Then, when I opend video #1 and click "append segment", I got error message saying that "audio streams do not share a common sampling rate ... 14879/14881 sample/sec. I don't know how to handle this problem. Also, once I finished it, and encode it at TMPGEnc Plus for DVD, can I just select wav file in audio section? They are obviously two separate files now. I don't know how to combine them (and make one file).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is... You can't, at least not if you're creating a Video DVD. Video DVD is MPEG2 and in general a DVD disc holds about 2 hours worth of video at the standard settings. If you convert your XVIDs back to MPEG2 your 1.4 GB (2 x 700 MB) file will become a 4GB MPEG2 (or so, depends on encoder's settings)

If you're creating just a DVD with some XVID AVI's on it, then that's something else entirely.

As for your audio problem, that's something else entirely. You may want to cut that question out and put it in the audio folder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for good information.

What about xvid files for playing at xvid-compatible player?
    If the original file is xvid (700mb, 50min), I can store up to 6 video clips in one dvd, assuming that there's no conversion/reprocessing involved to make a dvd (I guess I can just change xvid to vob...correct me if I am wrong).

I played xvid files in Windows media player and the quality is great. I guess I will get same quality video by saving a lot of space in DVD, if I have xvid player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are playing in a XVID compatible player, you just burn the file(s) as a DATA DVD, usually. Check the player though.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By the way, do I need to combine multiple xvid files into one (just like multiple avis into one before converting to mpeg2)? Or, they can be played, as is at xvid-compatible player?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No idea, as each implements the menu a little differently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by kthan
    Thanks for your quick posts.

I have some further questions. In terms of picture quality, will DVD (I think initially combining two clips, 700mb, about 50min each, xvid file) be better than VCD (one clip)? Theoretically, I can put up to 6 clips in one DVD. If I could, how about picture quality of a DVD (w/6 clips), as compared with one VCD?

I tried to combine two files in Virtualdubmod. I successfully processed audio 1 & 2 and saved it as wav. Then, when I opend video #1 and click "append segment", I got error message saying that "audio streams do not share a common sampling rate ... 14879/14881 sample/sec. I don't know how to handle this problem. Also, once I finished it, and encode it at TMPGEnc Plus for DVD, can I just select wav file in audio section? They are obviously two separate files now. I don't know how to combine them (and make one file).

You almost did it right. But you have to make two new videos, with the audio in WAV format.
    These two you then stitch together.

Let's say you start with movie1.avi and movie2.avi I used normal V-dub, not VdubMOD
    So then:
    Step 1.
    Rip the audio out of both in WAV format, then you have movie1.WAV amd movie2.WAV, additionally, so a total of FOUR files.

Step 2.
    Combine the video and the audio for both. This is called muxing. To do this, you load the video and audio-as-wav. (Choose under Audio the WAV Audio ... option)
    You do this of course twice, so now you'll have a movie-wav1.avi and a movie-wav2.avi

Step 3.
    Now, append them together normally, with the append option under File. Then F7 to save them, with your own compression preferences.

The result should be 1 avi with normal sound.
    mail zplonk@yahoo.com if you don't get it.
    Looking for subtitles of: Höök tt0997023, Lime tt0269480, La clé sur la porte tt0077348. tt=iMDb.com Found Desideria tt0081724 subtitle! :-)
    Quote Quote