VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a way to do this? I know that there can't be a separate stream for subs in the mp4, but is there a way to "render" them while encoding the video, so that they will be a permanent part of the video stream?

My weapon of choice is ffmpeg. I'd prefer to solve this problem with it if possible. I'm on a Mac, so any other solutions will have to be Mac-compatible.

Thanks for your help. I've learned a lot just by lurking these forums and experimenting on my own.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if it can do what you want but the new Cinematize 2 Pro has a bunch of features related to sub titles. I've emailed the folks at Miraizon and always got a timely reply. You might ask them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the filters tab in ffmpegX there's a option to to 'burn' the subs into the video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use ffmpg (command-line) not ffmpegX. But it appears that in order to "burn" the subtitles in ffmpegX, you must use the mencoder binary, as opposed to the ffmpeg binary.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you trying to get subs into iPod videos? You'll have to follow ArtemisG3's advice. Set the subs using either DivX or Xvid mencoder (sorry, don't remember which) but try to keep all the other details (size, bitrate, etc.) identical to the source file. Then, using the resulting file (with the subs), do the final transcode to MP4/H264.

If you use the mencoder from .9s, you can enlarge and reposition the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, I answered my own question?

I've never used mencoder, so I will have to check it out more.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ArtemisG3
    So, I answered my own question?

I've never used mencoder, so I will have to check it out more.
    Just select the XviD mencoder option within ffmpegX. No need to use another app.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp4box can mux srt subs into .mp4. they can be played in various players, like vlc or any directshow player with gabests vsfilter
    Quote Quote