VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got a VCR/DVD-R combo and absolutely love it. I just dubbed one of my VHS tapes to the DVD-RW and it works perfectly in the recorder, of course, but when I load it into my laptop, it won't even recognize that a disc is in the drive.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, about 3 years old. Does it just not read DVD-RWs or did I do something wrong in the recording? I know I have to "finalize" the disc and that maybe I didn't do that, because I couldn't find a mention of it in my User Guide (yes, yes, newbie, could you tell?). Is there something specific I have to do to finalize a disc before taking it out of the recorder, or is it just my PC?

While we're on the subject, can I dub and watch Tv at the same time even if the cable is going into the recorder? And can I take out a DVD-RW and then put it back in and record something else - not overwrite? So simple, I know, but I'm desperate to learn some basics.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem, and it doesnt matter if its finalized, video mode, VR mode or anything, it just wont reconize it. And this is from 2 different brands of DVD Recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, my problem was just that I didn't finalize it, this being my first foray into recording. Sorry about yours though, I hope someone here can help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple theories that you can test out.

First of all, some are particular to certain media. Stay away from the cheap stuff. Try a couple different types.

Also, and this is just an uneducated guess, but I wonder if you use -RW media often, erasing and re-recording, does it "wear out". The answer is yes, but supposedly not until several thousand erases in theory, but I don't buy that. I sometimes get a "disc dirty" error on a clean disc in another DVD player, and it's always on -RW media, never had this on -R media.

Finally, is you computer drive only "+" format? Quite a few are. A lot of it has to do with the nice editing features that +RW offers. Now in theory your drive should be able to READ a finalized -RW disc, just not write it, but once again, it may be finicky. Try recording on a +RW and loading into the drive.

I have a problem that is the opposite of yours. When I record using a DVDR, those discs can play in all of my other players if they are -R, +R, or -RW, however +RW discs often will not load in my other players. I simply use -RW instead and all is fine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +RW doesnt work either.

Used 3 different types of media. So it must be something in the drive that it doesnt want to read the discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IS your laptop drive a DVD writer, or just a ROM?

If just a ROM, the RW formats are less compatible, so that could be it.

I just read today that -RW formats have less reflectivity the -R. So your drive just might not be able to handle it.

Heck you can get a new burner for $50 (not sure about laptop drives though), might want to upgrade.
    Quote Quote