VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I was wondering if anybody else have this WPDNSE folder inside your system Temp folder?
    I search Google and only four results, two in Japanese, one in French, and only one in English, but no clue from those posts.
    I noticed that this folder appears every time you boot the computer if you delete it after the boot.
    I also noticed that it began to appear after recent Microsoft updates.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't see any info out there either about that. Symantec doesn't seem to have any listing either.

About all I can suggest is to check your Task Manager and see if anything seems awry. You could also go to Trend Micro and do a online scan and see if it finds anything. It seems strange that nothing shows up with a Google search, except what you saw. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If it is truly residing in your IE temp file, you should be able to delete that in IE. Tools>Internet Options>Temporary Internet File>Delete Files.

EDIT: Ai Haibara, I missed the 'system' part.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, but MozartMan said it was the system temp folder. That would most likely be c:\windows\temp, in this case.

It could be spyware, or even virus-related. I've seen spyware/malware write a lot of random-letter/number-name files to the \windows and \windows\system (etc.) directories, and start processes with such names. The 'WPDNSE' folder could be harmless, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it happened to be generated by a spyware/malware/virus/trojan process, so just to be safe, follow redwudz' advice.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MozartMan
    I was wondering if anybody else have this WPDNSE folder inside your system Temp folder?
    I search Google and only four results, two in Japanese, one in French, and only one in English, but no clue from those posts.
    I noticed that this folder appears every time you boot the computer if you delete it after the boot.
    I also noticed that it began to appear after recent Microsoft updates.

Thanks.
    Hi,
    It could very hard to try to find out.... there can be many reason.... of course you do have the malware type reasons..... but also it could be legitimate..!! there many legitimate programs that will either create a folder there when they do there installing, or create a the folder to hold there own temporary specific files!!!! ....

what you might look at.. and you didn't mention, is what files are inside the folder!!! that may give you a clue.... if any files are there.. take a look at the extention, and also it's properties it may tell you the ownership of the file....

now I am assuming here that the folder is legitimate (not ruling out malware) but take a look at some of your programs configurations...!! many times they will have listed the default location for a folder for ceertain operations... for example word processors, various graphic programs, various mulitmedia programs....!! a lot of time their temporary folder to hold drafts
    will be place by default in the main windows temp folder...!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    JerryB,

Here is more details about this folder.

1. The folder is always empty.
    2. This folder appeared after I ran June Microsoft live updates.
    3. I installed Windows XP with integrated SP2 from scratch last week. That folder wasn't there. Then I ran AutoPatcher from April, May and June (instead of Microsoft live update). The folder appeared after that.
    4. The same thing happened with my PC at work.

So, I guess, this is Microsoft thingy. I was just wondering what process or service creates that folder. Surprisingly, none of the Internet's famous tech sites have info about this folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i don't have one now or ever remember finding one. sp2 and all updates except ms wga crap, and wmp 10. may be part of one of those.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MozartMan
    JerryB,

Here is more details about this folder.

1. The folder is always empty.
    2. This folder appeared after I ran June Microsoft live updates.
    3. I installed Windows XP with integrated SP2 from scratch last week. That folder wasn't there. Then I ran AutoPatcher from April, May and June (instead of Microsoft live update). The folder appeared after that.
    4. The same thing happened with my PC at work.

So, I guess, this is Microsoft thingy. I was just wondering what process or service creates that folder. Surprisingly, none of the Internet's famous tech sites have info about this folder.
    HI,
    mmmm... no files inside...mmm....That going to make it very difficult to figure out what program made it...!! I have winxp sp2 also.... and use M$ live updates..and done the updates for those months also... but i don't have no such folder on the system..

I am wondering about this autoupdate you use..... do you use that also for the other system and you have the folder there also?

I have had programs in the past when doing updates they would create a folder in my temp folder to temporily store the uncompressed updates files before install phase, and after the install they would be automatically deleted!! is this a possiblity that what maybe happening.??
    Quote Quote  
  8. i'd search for WPDNSE in processes using process explorer from sysinternals.com... it might give you the process name which uses that WPDNSE... but it will give you that found if it's currently is used by the process, otherwise it'll find nothing... give it a try...

if that wouldn't work i'd search though the registry for that WPDNSE see if you'll get anything... also make a search through all the files for that name...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MozartMan... you're not alone!! I've also got the WPDNSE folder on my machine. Not sure if it's in the same location though - you weren't too clear about where it is on yours. On mine it's in

Code:
    ..\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp
    and, like you, it only appeared recently, it's empty and - despite deleting it - it's recreated every time I boot up. It's NOT malware related, IMHO, cos I know there's no malware on my system.

I think I know what might be causing it?! Here's a question for you; do you have either Diskeeper Pro or a WMP plugin called G-Force (by SoundSpectrum) installed? I know they're not related but I only started noticing the WPDNSE folder after I'd updated Diskeeper Pro and I installed G-Force around the same time. Obviously contacting the vendors TS might shed some light on it but I thought I'd check out if you had either of them installed first. Let me know.
    CyBaSuRfA 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cybasurfa
    MozartMan... you're not alone!! I've also got the WPDNSE folder on my machine. Not sure if it's in the same location though - you weren't too clear about where it is on yours. On mine it's in

Code:
    ..\Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp
    Hi cybasurfa,

WPDNSE folder is located in user's TEMP folder. In your case it is under your profile: \Documents and Settings\[user]\Local Settings\Temp (this is by default).
    I changed user variables on my PC and set TEMP and TMP to C:\Temp.

do you have either Diskeeper Pro or a WMP plugin called G-Force (by SoundSpectrum) installed?
    No, I don't. I think it is Microsoft related because like I said in my previous post:

I installed Windows XP with integrated SP2 from scratch several weeks back. WPDNSE folder wasn't in my C:\Temp folder. Then I ran AutoPatcher from April, May and June (instead of Microsoft live update). The folder appeared after that. I think this folder appeared after June Microsoft updates.

And what's interesting there is not much information on the net. If you Google for WPDNSE you will get only 7 results, and 4 of those from this forum.

Now I think that this Microsoft related WPDNSE folder also tied to some specific application because it exists on my main PC at home but doesn't appear on other two; and it is on my main PC at work but not on the second one. And many of my co-workers PCs don't have that folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all. WPDNSE is a new friend on my system also. Its full name is - WPDNSE.595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.2180_x-ww_a84f1ffp. Google it and all you'll get is this site. Thought I'd join the party. The folder is suddenly created by some process I have yet to identify. When the empty folder is generated by this unknown process, my 'Unlocker' program is triggered spontaneously (abnormal) and with it "I choose to move" the object. I then view the folder in the designated directory. The object is the WPDNSE folder always same ID#. I then shred the empty folder (why not?) with 'Tracks Eraser Pro'. It deletes with no problem. I then proceed for an hour or so all good, when suddenly the notice "explorer.exe has generated errors and must close". IE reboots and Unlocker appears prompting for an action. Only on one occasion after shredding it, a new folder immediately appeared with the long number- 298672.3188835586224645461529998489327147113463383 . I searched for the long WPDNSE string with RegSeeker couple weeks ago and found two keys, which I deleted. I am sorry I did not write them down, but they were Microsoft keys and ended with something "x86", I remember. An update sounds probable to me. Regseeker has not found the keys again after deletion. Wait a minute! Let me check the Regseek backups right quick..Darn it! I shredded them also. My Hijackthis log had this entry"021 - SSODL : WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45bO-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll" It looked similar to the folder and I removed some hous ago before I went to my job. Now I am back on the computer and the folder has not been generated yet. I did not Google the Hijack entry, I just deleted it out of frustration and it was unknown to myself. This may have helped. Hope this information will lead a solution!
    never implant the VeriChip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Allow me to add further to my post on the WPDNSE folder. The Hijackthis entry, WPDShServiceObj.dll, that I deleted prior to investigation is related to Windows Media Player beta 11 which I have installed. I found this on Google. Deleting this item did not affect the WPDNSE folder as it is still being created by something. Also, I remembered the WPDNSE keys I deleted with Regseeker had to do with Windows firewall, something like "HK...\Microsoft\Windows\firewall\....x86". But removing them had no effect. Excuse my being lengthy, but I have suffered with this aggravating self generating empty folder for several weeks and still no clue, or help found. It interrupts my proccesses. It seems to be harmless, but I am afraid of a password trojan. I have keylogging blocked with Spy Protector and Spy Sweeper. Seeing here that it is occurring to others, I think we have a Windows Update in common. I am convinced it is not a virus. I have scanned with Housecall, Panda, AntiVir, NOD32, Spyware Doctor, Bitdefender, Spy Defense, Pest Patrol, Ewido, Spybot, Ad-aware, a-squared and others, all are present on my OS. They all found nothing but cookies. And the "Unlocker" program running on its own is strange, because normally I have to request it, or it will come on automatically when I try to move, rename or delete a locked file. But whatever process is creating the WPDNSE triggers my Unlocker. I then choose "move" the object and then I see it is the WPDNSE folder. I am not a newbie and I wish I could solve this. I normally can! That's why I beg for any help as I am at a loss, kinda getting po'd. I like to know everything going on with my system. Clean and Smooth. Know what I mean?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by CilyPudi
    Allow me to add further to my post on the WPDNSE folder. The Hijackthis entry, WPDShServiceObj.dll, that I deleted prior to investigation is related to Windows Media Player beta 11 which I have installed.
    CilyPudi,

Thanks for your brilliant post. WPDNSE is definitely related to Windows Media Player 11. I just uninstalled WMP 11 and WMP 11 runtime libraries. And WPDNSE folder is GONE!.
    Now the question remains what is the purpose of this folder.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your contribution CilyPudi. I reckon we've got a handle on this nuisance now. As MozartMan says, it looks like it has something to do with WMP 11. When I mentioned prev about a WMP plugin, I forgot I'd also just upgraded from WMP 9 to 11. I think we've got the culprit, guyz!!

Quite what or why is still a mystery but at least others with the problem, who find their way here by googling WPDNSE, will hopefully get an answer. I'm not bothered about uninstalling WMP - I just wanted to know what was causing the appearance of that damn folder. Like CilyPudi (and the rest of you, I suspect), I like to know what's on my sys and where it's from.

Thanks again guyz! 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all. Yea, a few days after removing WPDShServiceObj.dll, I am no longer having a problem with the elusive, empty, self-generating WPDNSE folder. Hoorraaayy!!! Now I don't know if my WMP beta 11 player still works, but CilyPudi does not care. WMP is the last choice of some five other players I have installed. And no, I will not bother uninstalling the beta
    either. Just another Microsoft fossil to wonder at.

FYI, the second thing I did to clear up this aggravation was to disable Dr. Watson and his impotent 'error reporting'. This is my method:

RUN: regedit.exe
    GO TO: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug
    EXPORT and SAVE the file somewhere, for default use later.
    then DELETE the 'AeDebug' key.

Registry entries for debugger programs are located in the AeDebug key in Windows.

Now, I'm just stumped as to why the Internet was not flooded with inquiries related to this stealth WPDNSE folder since it's related to a program so ubiquitous as WMP. Maybe only six of us were the foolhearted guinea pigs to spring for the beta 11, ha.

And along with the others, I wonder what the function of this folder was. I have never encountered any process like it, except it be a Trojan. Further, as I said, I never use WMP, so why was the process "agitated" (like a virus/trojan) spontaneously? Maybe WPDNSE is an extension of Microsoft's WGA, and serves as a confederate, along with Dr. Watson and certain Windows undeletable, inaccessible, "temporary index.dat" files (that Microsoft refuses to explain) to gather additional, critical information about MY activities on MY 'PERSONAL' computer.
    It is indeed telling that we have now arrived at the day that monitoring of our private lives has become blase', all for our security.
    While still, tens of thousands of unidentified persons are allowed to run into the country daily. I feel safer now, being naked. Don't you?
    Ben Franklin said, "Those who prefer security over freedom deserve neither."
    Whew! Forgive my rant. This is the first time I have ever took the time to post to any forum for a solution to a computer problem, and yours seems to be a very knowledgable group.
    Glad to have found you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

I also found that when you install WMP 11 it installs new service. All my other PCs don't have WMP 11 and don't have this service. It's called:

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

This is description:

Shares Windows Media Player libraries to other networked players and media devices using Universal Plug and Play

May be that WPDNSE folder is tied to this service?

W - Windows
    P - Player-???? - PnP-????
    D - Device-??????
    N - Network-?
    S - Service-? - Sharing-?
    E - ??????????????????????
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Now, I'm just stumped as to why the Internet was not flooded with inquiries related to this stealth WPDNSE folder since it's related to a program so ubiquitous as WMP. Maybe only six of us were the foolhearted guinea pigs to spring for the beta 11, ha.
    I am sure that many more people installed WMP 11 on their computers (especially video enthusiasts like on this forum) becuase it installs VC1 codec (which is used on HD-DVD and Blue Ray) on your computer, and if you have Windows Media Encoder you can encode HD videos using VC1 codec and Advance Profile.

BUT majority of people don't care what they have in their TEMP folders.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like the party's over, guys! Between us, I think we solved the riddle of the mysterious, empty, self-perpetuating WPDNSE folder.

The reason, I suspect, more people haven't contributed to this thread is cos - as MozartMan says - the majority don't know or care what's in their TEMP directories, or even what's on their PC (I guess that's why trojans and viruses can spread).

BTW CilyPudi, the Ben Franklin quote goes;
    "A man willing to give up his liberties for the illusion of safety, deserves neither safety nor liberty."

Another good quote, relevant to our times, goes like this;
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." That's from George Orwell (1984 and all that).

As CilyPudi also says, this is a great forum - I've found some great help and tips here. Thanks to MozartMan for starting the thread, and to everyone else who contributed. So long... and thanks for all the fish!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WPDNSE stands for Windows Portable Device Namespace extension. I have no idea what it does. As far as I know it's used by Microsoft to determine who is going to be sent to the re-edumacation center come the day Emperor Bush is crowned supreme ruler of planet Earth.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wpd_sdk/htm/supportin...decontent2.asp

WPDNSE

WPD means Windows Portable Device. I'm guessing Zune?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b84kdyac.aspx

NSE seems to mean namespace extension
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, here is an interesting scenario. I believe that someting in the temp folder we speak of is responsible for the repeated termination of all of the games running advanced 3d graphics I may use, and even restarting my computer. This is all very aggravating, and since i followed the technical error report, i know that the source of the problem is in my, long empty, Temp folder.
    The only reoccuring folder in the temp folder is the WP, which I stubbornly blame for my problem. But there is a paradox in this scenario...I HAVE A ZUNE. So im wondering if you all can decifer the following error message, and these not hidden, but invisible folders that are the source of a problem:
    C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5189.dir00\Mini1 20805-04.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER5189.dir00\sysda ta.xml

Yea... i cant find them
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This WPDNSE is in the rgistry under search assistant/acrmu/5603/wpdnse

I have removed it using regedit, will let you know if it returns.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by MozartMan
    Allow me to add further to my post on the WPDNSE folder. The Hijackthis entry, WPDShServiceObj.dll, that I deleted prior to investigation is related to Windows Media Player beta 11 which I have installed.
    CilyPudi,

Thanks for your brilliant post. WPDNSE is definitely related to Windows Media Player 11. I just uninstalled WMP 11 and WMP 11 runtime libraries. And WPDNSE folder is GONE!.
    Now the question remains what is the purpose of this folder.

We only have wmp9 on our Admin computers here in the office but the WPDNSE folder is still in the temp folder.
    It just comes back after deleting when you reboot.
    Download the OPF Radio TOOLBAR it's very good!
    OPF Toolbar|OPF Radio|OPF Dating
    oneparentfamily group
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Stumpy62 :
    This is just a MRU - showing that you searched for this file.
    Only a recent file in your search memory.

spclub:
    If you updated MP9 with the runtime of WMP11 (codecs etc) youīve got also the portable device update.

The empty folder just sits there, waiting for a device to be connected. Disable also the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.
    - in manual mode it also doesnīt start.

Ccleaner will wipe the empty folder at Windows Start - if you set it to start with windows. Or every time you clean your tempfiles.
    As the folder isnīt in use: no problem in deleting it.

The XEROX folder in program files is more annoying - but we have to live with this patent info deal ...
    Quote Quote  
  24. thanks very much for your time/reply
    Download the OPF Radio TOOLBAR it's very good!
    OPF Toolbar|OPF Radio|OPF Dating
    oneparentfamily group
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Folks,

This folder is used by Windows Media Player 11 when you play some movies directly on a Portable Device. For example, I have an Archos TV+ and when I double click on a movie saved in it's internal HD, the movie is copied to WPDNSE folder (inside system Temp folder) prior exibition on Windows Media Player 11. It reduces the time to read of HD, improving video stability.

Best Regards,
    Yuri
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I deleted MPDNSE from the temp file by starting in safe mode. Old trick but it still works.
    Leon
    Quote Quote