VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. We are currently using a VCR to archive television programs that were recorded using our Tivo DVR. However, we are amassing a LOT of videotapes. is it possible to record the TV show from the Tivo DVR to the DVD Burner in my computer?

-Thanks-

Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a video capture card? You would be able to do so through the video input jacks of the capture card. Simply hook up the audio/video outputs from the tivo to the audio/video inputs on the capture card and you're good to go.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yoda:
    Thanks, I do not have a video capture card, only my Nvidia FX5500 Video card I use for Gaming. Can I add a video capture card & about how much do they run?

-Mike-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get an internal video capture card for next to nothing on auction sites. Places like newegg and tigerdirect should have good prices on limited function cards.

If you're not comfortable opening your computer you can get a usb 2 capture device. Those tend to be more expensive than internal cards but you don't have to open the computer.

Generally speaking most are under a $100 US and if you're not picky you should get a decent one at $50 and under - the older models of course.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yoda:
    Thanks, but with DVD Recorders from like Radio Shack & Walmart running about $89 For a basic recorder, I will probably go that route, not hardly worth the effort to do it on the computer.

-Mike-
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mrebman
    Thanks, but with DVD Recorders from like Radio Shack & Walmart running about $89 For a basic recorder, I will probably go that route, not hardly worth the effort to do it on the computer.
    It is if you want to edit out commercials and make spiffy custom DVD-like menus . . . I don't think you can do those kind of things easily with a stand-alone set-top DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
  7. But it is nevertheless much easier to handle as you don't have to take care for frame drops, sync problems, encoding parameters... And you can just use rewritable dvds in the first step, rip them to harddisk and do the editing/authoring afterwards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MREBMAN

Do you have your TIVO networked to your PC/Internet in any way? Wired or wireless?

And if so, do you have the TivoToGo function (version 7.2 plus for standalone or 6.2 for DirecTV Tivo)?

If so, you can transfer/download the video from the Tivo to your PC hard drive. And at the BEST recording quality setting for the Tivo you get better resolution than what a regular vcr can give you.

(I do this regularly.)

After the video is moved onto the hard drive, you can use either free or purchased software to trim the video and/or remove commercials. (I use VideoRedo myself, since it converts the tivo file AND edits the video at the same time. $50)

After this point, you can make the resulting MPEG video file into a DVD using authoring software then burn onto a DVD disc.

(I don't use tapes or vcr anymore because of this.)

Tada!
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've got Tivo hooked up to my computer and Tivo recommends using the Sonic MyDVD Studio software to convert and burn.

Any pros and cons on buying the Sonic software?

Nero says they don't support the Tivo format, although I've already used Nero (7) or Vision (4) to burn a DVD of a program on the History Channel, and don't remember how I did it - go figure...

Thanks,
    Rick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, Wenospeak.

First, I would NOT reccommend Sonic MyDVD. I tried it and found it is terribly slow and difficult to edit the video.

If you wanted to use free utilities - there are several programs that will do it (I'd have to research to bring back my memory a bit).

But if you were willing to pay for MyDVD, I would personally prefer VideoRedo ($50, and - no -I don't own/have any participation in it). The main reason being, for the free utilities, you'd have to convert the tivo file to mpeg and then edit with an mpeg editor. Kind of doubles the time and effort - where VideoRedo does both at once. (It allows you to open a tivo file, edit out commercials, saves it back as an mpeg.)

If you'd rather stick with Nero, you'd likely have to use a free s/w or two to convert the tivo file to mpeg, then use Nero to import it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

Interesting. Basically the VideoRedo program does the editing and converting, but another program does the burning (such as Nero). Yes?

I'm not particularly partial to "recommended" software (we're in bed with company abc, ect.), so I may give it a shot.

Thanks again,

Rick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.

Another program does the burning. Could be Nero, DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and others.

Depends on what you already have, how important "free" is to you, or wanting commercial stuff. In the case of VideoRedo, they have a nice 15-day trial of the software in an uncrippled state - but to do that you have to apply for the free trial key. Without that, you are limited to getting a max of one-half hour video output to mpeg.

Since the end result is you get an MPEG video file from TIVO in this discussion, you can choose to make a DVD out of it, or - as I do more often now - convert the MPEG video file to DIVX video file.

In the case where DIVX is of use to me (maybe others), I get the same length movie at near the same quality as the original MPEG - - but the file is smaller. More on the hard drive as a result. And if you are forward thinking enough to get a DVD Player that also plays DIVX video files, then what you can have are DVD disks with multiple movie files playable on both DVD standalone player (DIVX certified) and/or your PC.

(That shoulkd keep your head swimming for a month...)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    wenospeak, I moved your DVD player request to the 'DVD Players' forum where it will likely get more answers as it is not 'on topic' for this thead.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote