VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can anyone help me out here? I've just bought the retail version of ConvertXtoDVD and I'm currently trying to convert one of my DivX AVI files to MPEG2 and author the files ready for burning onto DVD.

I've already attempted to use the program but the problem is, the resulting VOB, BUP and IFO files only add up to 1.73 Gb. I'm puzzled as to why the filesize of the authored DVD files are this small. The filesize of the AVI file I'm trying to convert and author to DVD is 693 Mb. The length of the video is 2 hours, 1 minute and 30 seconds, with one audio track (English), no subtitles and a frame rate of 23,976.

Is there a setting I need to change in ConvertXtoDVD in order to get the authored video files to use up the entire 4.38 Gb on a Single Layer blank DVD disc?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have u changed target size to DVD5?

Why donīt you add more movies? I always add 2 or 3 Xvid movies each 700MB with ConverxtoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Settings>Encoding>Target size
    Why donīt you add more movies? I always add 2 or 3 Xvid movies each 700MB with ConverxtoDVD.
    I agree,increasing the file does not improve final quality.I to like to put 2 or 3 on a disc and author with TMPGEncDvdAuthor.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't make DVD quality from a Divx video that fits on a CD. But ConvertXToDVD should give you the same quality as the Divx.
    A Divx video of about 700MB usually comes out at about 1.5GB or so. Even doubling the bitrate used won't make them look any better, though.

The cost of DVD blanks isn't that much. I just put the 1.5GB video on there by itself and don't worry about the rest of the space on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Target Size is already set to DVD5.

What if I changed the Encoding Quality to High? Would this make any difference to the size of the resulting VOB, BUP and IFO files? I just think that there's no point in burning a 1.5 Gb movie onto a blank DVD - it'll end up using just over a quarter of the capacity of the disc. Not worth it in my opinion. I know some of you are saying that there won't be a significant improvement in quality even if I did happen to get my DivX movie authored as a 4.3 Gb DVD but I just want to use up that extra capacity on the blank disc. The quality doesn't really matter as long as it plays just like it did when it was a DivX AVI file, then I'll be perfectly happy with that.

Also, can anyone here tell me what would happen if I changed the Conversion Priority to Time Critical? Can this be used in conjunction with High Quality Encoding?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    THe thing you don't seem to be understanding is that ConvertXToDVD will only use as much bitrate as it desperately needs to in order to provide a result equivalent to the source. It is fantastic IMHO in this respect in that other programs will happily use up 4.35GB just to "fill up the DVD", when if they were any sort of chop they could have done a similar job in around 1.5GB. This of course then allows you to fit more onto a DVD, without jeopardising quality. It's a good thing that ConvertXToDVD does this !

So as others have said, either add a couple more movies onto the one disc, or just burn it to a disc by itself, comfortable in the knowledge that COnvertXToDVD has done a great job for you.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ConvertXtoDVD is also able to draw from the compression data form the original encode to help with the conversion to mpeg2. By doing this it speeds up it's own encoding, as well as often (although not always) producing smaller files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, let's just say that I wanted to fit 2 or 3 DivX movies onto one blank DVD, would I need to just add the files and let ConvertXtoDVD convert them? Will this increase the encoding time? The 2 hour film (that I was talking about in my initial post) took just over 1 and a half hours to complete. So I'm not sure if adding more AVI files will add to the encoding time or not...I'm assuming it will.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd say you're assuming correctly.

If you add 3 x 2 hour films, simple maths suggests it will take 3 x 1.5 hours to process.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. still missing from ConvertXtoDVDs featureset is the ability to combine a 2 dsc .avi movie into one finished DVD. Many other conversion apps already do this easily. Or am I missing something here?
    Have tried it before a while back & it created two separate folder sets (as if they were two different movies)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It will now do multiple files to the one VIDEO_TS folder, but it does them as seperate titles. Really just needs a tickbox or something to choose "create seperate titlesets" or "create one titleset" or something like that IMHO.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. oops, sorry, you are correct. & yes, having that option available is really all that is missing from it being a first class conversion tool
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yeah I was going to get around to that. I've got some DivX movies that are in 2 separate files i.e. CD1.avi and CD2.avi.

Do I need to use an external program first to join the two AVI files together and then use ConvertXtoDVD to convert and author them into one VIDEO_TS folder? Or can ConvertXtoDVD join them together by default?

If I need to join them together externally, which program would you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Convertxtodvd can put them in the same VIDEO_TS folder, but they will be two seperate titles.

And being AVI, joining prior to conversion can potentially be a lot of fun if things like VBR MP3 audio are involved.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. so how are other conversion tools such as TFM able to join two files pretty much spot on every time? Most the files I get are VBR mp3 audio, yet I seldom get any audio synch issues when converted to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Problem solved.

I downloaded the trial version of Media4PC AVI Joiner and it did the trick. ConvertXtoDVD now recognises my CD1 and CD2 AVI files as one title.

For the 693 Mb AVI, I tried converting with High Quality Encoding and TimeCritical Conversion Priority and it took around 1 and a half hours to author 4.13 Gb worth of the VOB, IFO and BUP files. This is exactly what I wanted.

It's been burned onto a Single Layer DVD-R and playback is fine, picture quality is pretty much the same as it was when playing the AVI from the PC so I'm perfectly happy with that.

Anyway, I'm now going to try to author my joined AVI with the same settings. I'll post here again and let everyone know how it went.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The other alternative is to let ConvertXtoDVD do its work, then load the VOBs into VideoReDo & do a QuickStream fix. It will "glue" them all together & spit out a nice clean mpg/VOB/whatever you want.

I do notice that ConvertXtoDVD churns out VOBs that ImgTool Classic doesn't accept. So, I simply run them through DVDShrink to crank out an ISO that can then be burned with ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I let ConvertXtoDVD author my 2 CD joined AVI file. Again, I used High Encoding Quality and TimeCritical Conversion Priority and I ended up with 4.13 Gb worth of VOB, IFO and BUP files. Encoding took around 1 and half hours.

I used DVD Shrink to build an ISO image and burned with DVD Decrypter. The resulting DVD plays fine on my DVD Players, the quality is quite good and the switch between the CD1 AVI and CD2 AVI is non-existant - it switches perfectly into a new scene.
    Quote Quote  
  19. sounds like a good workaround - although I would still like to be able to convert a 2 CD movie into a joined DVD end project **on the fly** during the process within ConverxtoDVD, and not have to spend more $$ on a separate joiner app. For a shareware app, this should be both possible & do-able.
    Quote Quote