VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2. I had Windows Media Player 10 installed. When I try to play VCD movies by using Windows Media Player, an error message "the source filter for this file could not be loaded". Why?

I only want to use Windows Media Player to play VCD discs. Anybody know how to solve my problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can't help much with WMP, but I would try another player. VLC Media player is a good choice as it plays most anything and uses it's own codecs, so nothing extra to install. WMP should not have a problem with MPEG-1 unless the file is corrupted or out of spec for a MPEG-1 video. That codec is included with XP. MPEG-2, on the other hand, needs to be installed as it doesn't come with the OS. Media Player Classic is another good choice. Microsoft has added so many things to WMP 10 it's amazing that it works at all. There are a lot better players out there than WMP, IMO.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for redwudz's reply. But, instead of Media Player Classic and VLC Media Player, is there any other free player which has the built in VCD codec to play VCD discs? I just want to compare and decide which is the best VCD playing software for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VCD doesn't need a codec, as much as a player that understands how to play VCD. Compare to mpeg2 playback vs DVD playback.
    Most software DVD players (PowerDVD & c) are what to use for VCD playback.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. Although my Windows Media Player 10 cannot play all my VCD discs, but the Roxio Video Disc player which is bundled with my VCD discs also come out with the same error message as what the Windows Media Player show. There is no problem when I use my home DVD player to play my VCD discs. I am unhappy with VLC Media Player and Media Player Classic because there was a sound problem when using VLC. And, although my Media Player Classic can play my VCD discs very well, but it is very hard to set the audio channel and adjust the brightness. I don't want to spend any money on buying software. So, I'm still looking for another freeware player that can play VCD discs. Any suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Media Player Classic is still the best choice .. audio channel and brightness are easy to adjust ....

the vcd codec is built into windows btw ....

not sure - but try quicktime to play them back ...
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are some of your discs SVCD? That would require an MPEG2 codec. VCD only requires MPEG1. Windows ships with an MPEG1 decoder but not an MPEG2 decoder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I never watch SVCD disc. I can't find any shops which selling SVCD disc in my area. My discs are VCD. Before Windows Media Player 10 have such problem for playing VCD discs, I can play VCD discs with Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and jetAudio. But now, my Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and jetAudio cannot play VCD discs. I understand that MPEG1 codec is shipped with Windows because I can play VCD discs when I bought my Laptop. But, I don't know what I had done to my laptop and caused Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, and jetAudio have such problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your mpg1 codec/directshow filter is somehow damaged or missing?
    Try something like codec sniper. Have you installed some codec pack lately?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have K-Lite Codec Pack Full installed in my computer. I had downloaded this codec pack from http://www.codecguide.com. I had tried to uninstall this codec pack and it doesn't work. So, I reinstall it again, but also doesn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    codec packs are not a good thing - plus they dont have mpeg1 as it is included w/ all versions of windows
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like to use Media Player Classic for playing files except VCD. For example, DVD, RealMedia files, Windows Media, they are played perfectly in MPC. For VCD, I would always prefer using Windows Media Player. I am using Windows XP Home Edition with service pack 2 and now have Windows Media Player 10.

Actually, I suspect that my problem was caused by Windows Media Player 11 beta version. Before I install Windows Media Player 11 beta version, there is no problem with my Windows Media Player 10. After installing WMP 11 beta version for a few days, I found that my WMP 11 beta version cannot play VCD files, then I uninstall it and change it back to WMP 10. But the problem is still not been resolved.

Now I have only two choices. One is continue using MPC to play VCD. Another one is reformat my computer using the system recovery CD provided by my computer manufacturer. However, I still hope that my problem with WMP can be resolved without reformat my computer. Anyway, thanks for your reply. But, if anyone have the good way to solve my problem with Windows Media Player without reformat my PC, please post it here. Thanks!
    Quote Quote