VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In order to get supurb quality, I took apart a few programs out there... resulting in a mpeg1 file with fantastic quality but high bitrate. I then run the new file through the best tmpgenc, beta12 version, ending in a great mpeg1. (Yes I tried just starting with tmpgenc but what I'm doing is resulting in a VCD that looks as good as a SVCD).

NOW, I have hit a wall because the VCD create/burn programs that convert directly from .mpg that I use don't split the file. I have VCDEasy and Roxio 5.0 Easy Media Creator. Those two almost do what I want because I don't want anymore encoding.. just convert to VCD, split, and burn. My problem is neither of them will split the file.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    tmpgenc->file->mpeg tools to edit the mpeg1 files and then author/burn to several vcds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...however, splitting an mpg file often results in audio sync issues. You had been better off if you'd encoded your source as 2 separate mpg's to begin with.
    Also, keep in mind that max VCD bitrate is 1150 kbps - above that, it's VCD no more, and may or may not be playable.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, see the problem is: the way I'm doing it results in 2 mpeg1 files with a high bitrate. Then when I run it through tmpgenc to lower the bitrate to 1150, the files do decrease in size but I can't set it.

I'd like to be able to split the final file which is normally around 950mb - u know, set one to 700mb and the other for what is left.

Splitting using TMPGenc: in TMPGenc I see where I can merge and cut but I don't see splitting. In TMPGenc beta 12, I don't see the option under MPEG tools - think there is only join option.

How exactly do I split a MPEG1 file using TMPGenc?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if you have a good editor, you won't have sync issues. TMPGenc causes sync problems for some people, but not everyone, when used to split files. I am one of the people that gets sync problems if I use TMPGenc to split files. Some years ago I bought the MPEGVCR product from Womble at http://www.womble.com, which is an extremely powerful editor that is easy to use. It comes with online docs. Basically you set a beginning and ending point to your video and copy the resulting file to a clipboard and then save it. Repeat the process for the other half of the file. Yes, you have to do it in 2 steps this way, but you won't have sync issues.

You can search for documents, probably here at this very web site, that talk about how to split files with TMPGenc. It's been many years since I tried to do this, so off the top of my head I don't remember, but it is documented on the web. By the way,
    "cut" means "split", so you're in the right place.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I figured cut meant split. hehe Just that merge/cut part doesn't tell me the size. It just tells you to pick a pt to cut to or set like 00:00:00. I'm like - geez how large is xx:xx:xx hehe

I'll try to check out that tool you mentioned. Maybe they have a trial version. Thanks.

Just wish there was a tool out there that let you split the mpeg1 file WHILE creating/burning the VCD. Sure would make life so much simpler... like when I'm burning something on my old NERO and when the first disc gets full, it says 'insert another disc'.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm like - geez how large is xxxx hehe
    Standart VCD is 80 min on 80 min CD.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that. I'm referring to being able to set the length by size rather than time (xx:xx:xx) under the mpeg tools in TMPGenc.

And btw, you can set some encoders like nuenc to go as high as 999 for the larger cd-rs but I don't recommend that because not all cd-rs can read/copy to above 800+ = the entire reason I want to be able to split my file while in the vcd creation process.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need to split by size. You only think you do. Splitting by time will do what you want. If you want a 750 MB file, then split at 75 minutes. If you want a 600 MB file then split at 60 minutes. It's rough, but it should be close enough for your needs.

In theory, DVD2SVCD can split by size, but I don't know how they do it. If this splitting by size is just super important to you, you might try downloading DVD2SVCD and just let it encode for you and do the splitting. It can create VCDs if you want, although frankly I think you're worrying too much about the wrong thing. If your emphasis is something like "By God I am going to split my file in half so that it uses up 100% of the disc space in disc 1 and everything left over goes to disc 2" then I wish you luck. Life's a lot simpler if you just say "I"m going to split this 90 minute file into 2 pieces at 45 minutes each" and then you know you have enough disc space for each half.

Um, you do understand that an 80 minute CD-R is not going to hold 999 MB of VCD data at normal VCD bitrates, don't you?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll try messing around with the time thing.

See, I know with VCD about the 10mb/min thing but this was referring to splitting the mpeg b4 the VCD creation... only because I haven't found anything that splits the VCD during creation. Precisely what I mean is like... when disc 1 gets full says ok now insert disc 2. So, since such software evidently doesn't exist... working on alternatives.

What's up with all the feedback on cdr size? LOL I must have mistated something somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by anadiner

And btw, you can set some encoders like nuenc to go as high as 999 for the larger cd-rs but I don't recommend that because not all cd-rs can read/copy to above 800+ = the entire reason I want to be able to split my file while in the vcd creation process.
    That's the reference I was talking about. Please stop worrying so much about absolutely filling up disc 1 before making disc 2. It's just not worth it. Just split where you need to and get on with your life. If you have to use a 2nd disc anyway, what does it matter whether you completely fill disc 1 or not? You're still going to have to use the 2nd disc.
    Quote Quote  
  12. BBmpeg will mux an MPG1 and split it on precise size parameters. It will even overlap the two videos by a few seconds, this is selectable IIRC.

Only prog I know of that will split by size.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info Nelson37. This is one of the few times when an old thread gets a new post that's actually useful. I didn't know BBmpeg would do that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVtool sounds like what you are looking for.

Can split vcd/svcd/mpeg files by size or parts. It won't reconvert anything - it will simply split your high bitrate file and leave it in a vcd container that most dvd players will recognise and play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know, this is a very OLD thread, but I somehow felt others might like to know, if stumbling across it:
    VCDGear creates VCD/SVCD images (cue/bin, ready for burning) and splits those during creation by size, albeit 'only' two sizes are selectable, namely 74 and 80 min, but still...
    Does the trick for me in cases I don't want to take the trouble of first demuxing the mpeg file as BBMpeg only accepts elementary streams.

EDIT: In DVTool you have to set the size precisely, otherwise you may end up, e.g. with two mpeg-file-parts of ~704 MB and a third one of ~7KB ; and I am not big at calculating Bytes>bits>MB>>MiB, etc. I just know that there is a difference, but never know for sure what the byte/bit/MiB-figures amount to compared to MB... EDIT
    Quote Quote