VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been reading posts for a couple of hours now and I just want to confirm that so far there isn't a player that can reliably handle XviD video with Qpel and GMC. If someone knows of one, please point me in the right direction.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Something Zoran-based would be your best bet (their latest chipset is the 888, I think). Even the powerful Sigma chips that can do HD DivX (like in the LinkPlayer) fall down on XviD GMC...

Problem is, there's not many U.S.-available models (any?) that are using the newer Zoran chipsets that I'm aware of....
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, I appreciate the input.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another issue is Xvid's 3 warp point GMC compared to Divx's 1 warp point. I don't think any of the set-top players can handle 3 warp point.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Looking around, it appears the Toshiba 3990 (which isn't too hard to find) uses the Zoran 882 chipset - so if you really need the XviD GMC support, it might be worth trying from a store with a generous return policy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. As above. The problem is with XviD 3 warp point GMC.

Many players / chipsets can play DivX's 1 warp point GMC just fine.

Your option is to either use DivX, or when using XviD, keep it to the DivX "profile" type settings.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    tosh3990 can't handle more than 1 warp

even a PC needs some close to 1ghz processing power to handle it (granted - most of it 'wasted' on OS, but still), imho its just too much of calculations to do quick for some puny chipset

building a 'media player' PC disguised as standalone player is probly the best option
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As already said, the Zoran Vaddis 888 is supposed to be able to handle 2/3 warp points. Not really worth the extra encoding time to enable GMC though. Definatly not for 1 warp point since it is basically useless.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ntngod
    Looking around, it appears the Toshiba 3990 (which isn't too hard to find) uses the Zoran 882 chipset - so if you really need the XviD GMC support, it might be worth trying from a store with a generous return policy.
    Once again, thank you. I think I'll be grabbing this unit today. Thanks to everyone else as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's not often that I've even come across files encoded with multiple warp points. The biggest issue for most people, is that most players choke on any file encoded with qpel or GMC, even if it is a single warp point.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's only because most people seem to have DVP642's. If you were to do a model breakdown of currently available players, I think you would find that most can handle qpel and 1 warp point GMC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ntngod
    Looking around, it appears the Toshiba 3990 (which isn't too hard to find) uses the Zoran 882 chipset - so if you really need the XviD GMC support, it might be worth trying from a store with a generous return policy.
    Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation. I got my unit today and thus far it has played everthing I have thrown at it, including XviD with GMC and Qpel. Here's a Gspot screen of one of the vids I tested:

Is there another program I can use to find out how many GMC warp points the video has?
    Quote Quote  
  13. If it's an XviD, then by definition it's 3 warp point GMC. If it's a DivX file, then it's 1 warp point. Unless celtic_druid has something to elaborate on or contradict. I'll always bow to him when discussing these kinds of issues.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jack&Water
    Originally Posted by ntngod
    Just wanted to say thanks again for the recommendation. I got my unit today and thus far it has played everthing I have thrown at it, including XviD with GMC and Qpel. Here's a Gspot screen of one of the vids I tested:

Well, according to your gspot screen, the test file did NOT have GMC nor QPEL
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ahh, I misread the thing. It doesn't look like I have any such files at all. I suppose that's a good thing.
    Quote Quote  
  16. And I didn't read the thing at all. I just took your word for it. Thanks, DereX888, for setting us straight.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG4Modifier would be the best way to identify GMC/S-VOP's. It tells you the actual warp points used, not just what is reported in the header. I would say that the Zoran Vaddis 882 does not support 2/3 warp points, you need the 888 for that.

From recollection there was a time when XviD did 1 warp point GMC, although I could be wrong. Also possible for fourCC's to be changed or in the case of a DivX test CD, I believe 3 clips were joined, one encoded with XviD and GMC, one with DivX and GMC and one without GMC.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    I would say that the Zoran Vaddis 882 does not support 2/3 warp points, you need the 888 for that.
    Some time back at Doom9 (and other forums) there were people with the 3990 saying that it played their XviD GMC files w/o a problem.

On the other hand, there's reports saying the exact opposite.

That's why I told him to buy it from a store with a good return policy: there's only one way to be sure, and that's to try it for yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  19. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the thing so far. I'll report back when I'm able to test XviD files with Qpel and GMC.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    I would say that the Zoran Vaddis 882 does not support 2/3 warp points, you need the 888 for that.
    Do you know of any such players in particular?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Some time back at Doom9 (and other forums) there were people with the 3990 saying that it played their XviD GMC files w/o a problem.

On the other hand, there's reports saying the exact opposite.

That's why I told him to buy it from a store with a good return policy: there's only one way to be sure, and that's to try it for yourself.

I said it already - it doesnt play XviD GMC.

Those who claim it plays GMC dont know what theyre talkin about, i.e. 1-warp DivX with GMC *may* play ok, or may not - and myself I haven't found any logic in it either, but its the same as with philips dvp-642, that some GMC DIVX would play on it, but *most* would not.
    One rule of thumb (IMHO) is that if the file is 1-warp gmc, and audio is mp3 - it probably would play it (assuming no other 'enahncements' there), but if its still 1-warp-only but with AC3, or if its multiwarp and with other bells'n'whistles - then for sure all these low grade chipsets will choke on it.

People sometimes find some very low motion movie encoded with divx with gmc and mp3, and they think 'wow, this machine plays GMCs too - cool'
    Well, its nothing like that in reality.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by DereX888
    I realize that, but no offense, you're just some guy on the Internet, too.

These other people claimed tried *XviD* with GMC, and it worked. You and some others said otherwise.
    I've even seen some other people claim they've gotten 3990s with the 888 chip in them.

With conflicting reports, that's why I recommended he try the player for himself - if he can return it easily enough, it's a better course of action for him than trusting you, trusting me, or trusting any other random person on the Internet
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    I realize that, but no offense, you're just some guy on the Internet, too.

These other people claimed tried *XviD* with GMC, and it worked. You and some others said otherwise.
    I've even seen some other people claim they've gotten 3990s with the 888 chip in them.

With conflicting reports, that's why I recommended he try the player for himself - if he can return it easily enough, it's a better course of action for him than trusting you, trusting me, or trusting any other random person on the Internet
    Of course, no offense taken
    This forum, as well as any other forums, is full of just some guys on the internet, so perhaps any discussion anywhere on the web is pointless
    Like you I never trust just right off the bat in anything written on the web by 'just a guy on the internet' (like you as well), and specially a guys who cant even read simple codec options in gspot - and web is full of such examples - thats why I played with this model myself, and tested it thoroughly.
    I agree completely - its always the best to check everything for yourself.
    Quote Quote