VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all ive been searching for weeks on end for an answer, ive read so much stuff now im more confused than ever I think my heads gonna explode! So I thought I better ask some experts.

I have about 300 videos that I want to convert to a standard format, resolution and bit rate.

At the moment I have a few different formats with varied resolutions.

Avi (I guess all sorts but I don’t really understand all the container and handle stuff)
    Divx (I don’t know much about this either)
    Dat (vcd)
    Mpeg 1 & 2
    Mpeg 4 (Nero digital)

The resolutions vary a lot some are 560*400 592*256 608*400 720*272 640*336 576*304

The bit rates varies from about 200kb to 1.5mb

The videos will be viewed on a 42” widescreen via VGA or DVD or a streaming media player (if this makes any difference?).

So I would like a standard widescreen resolution (720*480 perhaps?) I would also like to eliminate all borders im not worried about stretching/distorting a bit or losing the edges or whatever.

I started encoding everything to mp4 but im not sure about this now since I ran into a problem with boarders the problem was when converting vcd files to mp4 I got boarders at the sides of the screen. Also another problem was I ripped an mpeg 2 directly from a vob file I recoded it to Nero digital “cinema” quality which gave me a huge file so I recoded the cinema mp4 file to “standard” quality mp4 and it left big boarders all around the picture.

I also realised when I clipped/trimmed the video with Nero recode it just left blank spaces\boarders?

Another quick question My TV accepts a 1024 x 768 resolution through the vga but doesn’t have a component input does this make it a HDTV?

To summarise Id like all of my videos converted to the same format of about 720*480 and 800kb bit rate with no boarders visible on my widescreen. Id prefer to continue converting to Nero digital if someone can help with the boarder/resize problems, but if not im open to all suggestions.

A fast program that could convert them in batches would be great.

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    super or mediacoder.

do some clips already have borders? then you have to crop and you have to do it manually for each.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes some already have boarders, i understand ill have to edit most of the boarders manually. Just need to know which program/how too.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. so i guess i Should edit the borders first?
    im gonna download mediacoder will this allow me to edit the boarders?
    Any usefull tips? Im a complete novice
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick is there a reason to be using that software over TMPGEnc? I've generally found that TMPGEnc has always filled the niche of video preperation for me quite well.

Would the case of video largely already prepared be processed faster for instance by the software you mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pretty much everything processes faster than tmpgenc. The quality is good, but the speed has always been it's biggest handicap. Even slower with filters applied.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Zeiker i did try tmpgenc but i dont think it can do the nero digital mpeg4 files. I tried my first file with mediacoder last night it was aprox

2gb, 1200 x 760, 4mbit mp4 file

i recoded it to

400mb, 720 x 480, 800kb Avi (xvid) file

it took about 6 hours and there is no sound!

any ideas why? i can understand the length of time due to the size of the file. Hope recoding a 700MB file from one format to another dosent take as long.

is there anyway i can retreive a detailed log from mediacoder?

i cant seem to find it

thanks for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  8. This may sound like spam but it's not.
    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck.

As I write this, you have made 9 posts on the same day you registered at this site, and all about the same product, all in the same words. You're a liar. Someone ban this fool.
    Quote Quote