1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How can i make a .VOB file smaller?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typically, a vob file is 1 gig in size...it is the standard. Some DVD players have issues with files that are larger or smaller than 1 gig.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, VOB files on a DVD-Video are supposed to be no LARGER than 1GB. They can easily and often be smaller (if program runs through multiple VOB files, last overflow may be large or small).

But I think the OP was talking about recompressing/transcoding, where I would agree with going with DVDShrink.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree the last vob of a multiple vob set can be smaller than 1 gig, however, there have been known issues if there is only 1 vob and it is smaller than 1 gig.

And while I agree with both of you about what the OP is actually trying to do, dvdshrink won't actually make the vob's "smaller". You will most likely end up with fewer vob's, but they will still be 1 gig each.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    there have been known issues if there is only 1 vob and it is smaller than 1 gig.
    Ermmmm ....... wouldn't most extras on DVDs each be a seperate titleset with 1 VOB, less than 1GB in size ? I've never heard of any "known issues" in regards to this, ever

As for the OP, IMHO you need to provide some more info on what you're wanting to achieve. In short, and answering your question directly, you can make a VOB smaller by re-encoding, transcoding, disabling a stream (or streams) .....

I can't really elaborate on any specific methods until you describe why you need to make it smaller (ie. what you want to do with the smaller VOB file).
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote