VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded a small file called: .asx (suffix)

what is it? can I play it on a Mac? the icon is WMV but I guess my amc just guess that.

cheers

and Thanks rotut
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .asx is a windowx media file. Download Windows Media Player to play it. http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks I have WMV 9 and when I open the file WMV says: the specified stream type is not recognized.

any ideas?

cheers again.

rotut
    MPro 2.66 3GB RAM 1.5TB HD's
    MigliaMiniHD
    QTPro, MPEG2 add on MPlayerX2
    MPEG Streamclip
    24 + 21" samsung flat panels
    G4dual 2GB
    AlchemyDVR card
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ASX files, as I recall, are just placeholders - they reference a streaming media file, usually online. If you load the ASX file in a text viewer/editor, you'll probably see the stream link (most likely beginning with 'mms:')

One problem, though, is that the Mac version of Media Player hasn't been updated in some time (and has more or less been abandoned by Microsoft), so it doesn't handle some of the newer Windows Media formats (and therefore streams). Installing the Flip4Mac WMV component might help with viewing the stream, and VLC or mplayer might also be able to view the stream directly (well, I don't remember if you can call streams directly using mplayer...)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote